windows 7 64 bit and oracle client 32 bit problem

Question

• Hello,

I have Windows 7 64 bit and oracle client 11 g 32 bit. I am developing .net applications that are connecting to a oracle database. The users most of them have 32 bit windows.

The visual studio is connecting to oracle only for windows applications, but i can't connect with excel, or with SQL server's DTS wizard, asp.net applications...

If I install 64 bit oracle client:

-will my users still be able to run the newly compiled exe

-do I need to uninstall 32 bit client to instal 64 bit

-did anyone experienced similar problem and how did you solve it?

Any advice is wellcomed

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:05 AM

Answers

• 64 bit oracle client will not work on 32 bit windows.

I would suggest you to compile your project with “Any CPU” setting and install 32 bit oracle client on 32 bit system and 64 bit oracle client on 64 bit windows. This means that the assembly will run natively on the CPU is it currently running on.  Meaning, it will run as 64-bit on a 64-bit machine and 32-bit on a 32-bit machine. The general practice is well explained here:http://visualstudiohacks.com/articles/visual-studio-net-platform-target-explained/

There is a separate release from oracle for .net well known as ODAC and AFIK oracle client for .net is going to be obsolete on future release. It is good if you can use ODAC from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

Coming to your question set.

If I install 64 bit oracle client:

This will run fine on 64 bit windows but not on 32 bit windows infact  it will not allow you to install a 64 bit component in 32 bit windows.

-do I need to uninstall 32 bit client to install 64 bit

In a 64 bit window, both can be installed side by side as it run under 32 bit WOW. But still you need to check from oracle as this is product specific.

This is a general issue people face and solution depends on kind of application i.e ASP.net or Winform.

For Asp.net you can Make IIS-App Pool- Allow 32 bit =True

For WinForm "Any CPU" should work fine.

Have a look on Related Topic Section (Right Mid of your question) to know similar issue.

You can share the complete exception to know more about your issue

Lingaraj Mishra

• Edited by Lingaraj Mishra Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Barbi Rio Friday, September 28, 2012 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:58 AM

All replies

• 64 bit oracle client will not work on 32 bit windows.

I would suggest you to compile your project with “Any CPU” setting and install 32 bit oracle client on 32 bit system and 64 bit oracle client on 64 bit windows. This means that the assembly will run natively on the CPU is it currently running on.  Meaning, it will run as 64-bit on a 64-bit machine and 32-bit on a 32-bit machine. The general practice is well explained here:http://visualstudiohacks.com/articles/visual-studio-net-platform-target-explained/

There is a separate release from oracle for .net well known as ODAC and AFIK oracle client for .net is going to be obsolete on future release. It is good if you can use ODAC from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

Coming to your question set.

If I install 64 bit oracle client:

This will run fine on 64 bit windows but not on 32 bit windows infact  it will not allow you to install a 64 bit component in 32 bit windows.

-do I need to uninstall 32 bit client to install 64 bit

In a 64 bit window, both can be installed side by side as it run under 32 bit WOW. But still you need to check from oracle as this is product specific.

This is a general issue people face and solution depends on kind of application i.e ASP.net or Winform.

For Asp.net you can Make IIS-App Pool- Allow 32 bit =True

For WinForm "Any CPU" should work fine.

Have a look on Related Topic Section (Right Mid of your question) to know similar issue.

You can share the complete exception to know more about your issue

Lingaraj Mishra

• Edited by Lingaraj Mishra Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Barbi Rio Friday, September 28, 2012 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:58 AM
  • ODAC from oracle didnt work

I need to develop 32 bit windows applications and 64 bit web, from the same pc. Please advice

Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:41 AM