none
Blanking out a Task Field (username) for SP2010 Workflow

Question

• I have a Workflow (Sharepoint Designer) that has a Task with several Task fields (Person or Group fields)

Dept1

Dept2

Dept3

I have set on the 'Before a Task is Assigned' to 'Set Task Field' to a username for each department.  ie John Smith, Mary Smith, Bob Smith.  The person assigned the task then changes the name to person needed if the default isn't correct.  The workflow then creates new tasks based on each of those fields.  All of that works (even the reassign to a new person).  However, Dept3 doesn't always need to be assigned a task.  So the person assgined to the 'root' task blanks out the field before pressing the complete button.  This is where it fails.  If the field is left blank, it still keeps the value that I defaulted at the start.  It appears to only change the value if an actual username is put in.  Is their a way to force this field to update based on a blank value entered? 

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please provide the detailed steps you are using in the workflow so that I can better understand this issue.

What do you mean by the "= blank' condition it doesn't return true"? Which column are you referring? Have you tried 'Pause for duration ' action to pause for 1 minutes before checking the value? If may take a litter longer for SharePoint to get the updated value. So using a pause action may fix the issue for you.

If I have any misunderstanding, please feel free to point it out.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you want to set a task form file value in the ‘Before a task is assigned’ section. You can remove the default value for the Dept3 column, so it won’t have a value when it is blank. Or you can set the Dept3 column to get the value of a blank space when no value is needed.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:30 AM
  • Thats what I want to do, but how do I do it?  If I check against the value of the column for the '= blank' condition it doesn't return true.  If I just force it to be blank, then the column is always blank even if a value is entered. 
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

Please provide the detailed steps you are using in the workflow so that I can better understand this issue.

What do you mean by the "= blank' condition it doesn't return true"? Which column are you referring? Have you tried 'Pause for duration ' action to pause for 1 minutes before checking the value? If may take a litter longer for SharePoint to get the updated value. So using a pause action may fix the issue for you.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:47 AM