none
eVB Application to run on Windows CE 5.0

Question

•  

The application was written using Embedded Visual Basic and was developed 8 years ago.

The application runs on a Husky Flex21 device with the OS being Windows for handheld PC 2000 build 9546-126 (Windows CE Version 3).

I’m aware that Microsoft have an emulator, but the application / OS must be at Windows CE Version 5 and they have Windows CE version 3.

Will application  run within the Windows CE emulator in its current format or how long it would take to re-compile the application to run on a Windows CE V5 operating system?

It is also worth mentioning that the application make calls back to a server using a GSM connection.

Monday, September 01, 2008 9:54 AM

Answers

• eVB is discontinued and no longer supported, there's no eVB runtime available for CE5. It might be possible to use CE 3 eVB runtime on newer OS but it’s not supported and probably won’t work.

You have two alternatives:

1.     Keep using your CE 3 devices and eVB app.

2.     Upgrade to VB.Net and NETCF, see this. I would go with NETCF V3.5.

Monday, September 01, 2008 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have old applications developed using EVB 3.0 and they are running fine on my old device powered WinCE 3.0. Now we are using new device which are powered by WinCE 5.0 OS where evb application are not running.

I know microsoft has provided evb runtime for Windows Mobile 5.0 platform. And using which old application developed in evb 3.0 on PPC 2002/2003 can run on new device with WM 5.0 platform.

But I could not found any runtime available for WinCE 5.0.

I will appreciated If anybody can help me in this matter.

Regards,

Naynesh

Thursday, October 26, 2006 2:19 PM
  • eVB is discontinued and no longer supported, there's no eVB runtime available for CE5. It might be possible to use CE 3 eVB runtime on newer OS but it’s not supported and probably won’t work.

You have two alternatives:

1.     Keep using your CE 3 devices and eVB app.

2.     Upgrade to VB.Net and NETCF, see this. I would go with NETCF V3.5.

Monday, September 01, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  http://cd.concept.online.fr

I'm very disappointed by Microsoft policy about EVB (Embedded Visual Basic).

Since 2002, we have developped a very performant application EVB which integrates an automated synchronized database (.CDB + ADO) for industrial needs. Everything works very fine and has a high level maturity after 5 years exploitation. The path to convince our customers has been very hard since 5 years but today our software becomes a real standard for petrochemicals, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, construction and civil engineering.

I'm totally shocked that a great compagny like Microsoft abandons developpers who initially have thrust and ensure promotion of their mobile products and their technology. WE ARE one of thousand reasons of the actual mobile growth : it could be so simple to ensure EVB compatibility, exactly like Visual Basic on desktop environments !

I'm very sad and I'm really hoping that Microsoft listens to our discontent...

Friday, February 20, 2009 9:41 AM
  • I'm very disappointed by Microsoft policy about EVB (Embedded Visual Basic).

Since 2002, we have developped a very performant application EVB which integrates an automated synchronized database (.CDB + ADO) for industrial needs. Everything works very fine and has a high level maturity after 5 years exploitation. The path to convince our customers has been very hard since 5 years but today our software becomes a real standard for petrochemicals, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, construction and civil engineering.

I'm totally shocked that a great compagny like Microsoft abandons developpers who initially have thrust and ensure promotion of their mobile products and their technology. WE ARE one of thousand reasons of the actual mobile growth : it could be so simple to ensure EVB compatibility, exactly like Visual Basic on desktop environments !

I'm very sad and I'm really hoping that Microsoft listens to our discontent...

http://cd.concept.online.fr/

Friday, February 20, 2009 9:44 AM