Peer-to-Peer network communication over intermittent wireless

Question

• I have a program that I want to be network enabled. The goal is to be able to run the same program on two separate machines, and have them communicate with each other. The situation is that I have computers in two vehicles, each equipped with a wireless card that will be configured in an Ad Hoc network. When they get close enough for the network to come up, I want them to be able to sync data. Since the network may go down at any time, I want them to sync data as long as they can, but not lock up when the connection drops.

I’m looking for recommendations about what design would be the best fit for what I want to do. Ideas?
    Monday, March 17, 2008 4:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Lance,

Based on your post, your need to transfer data between computers. You can use sockets to setup connection to implement this. You need to use the Ping class to determine whether a remote computer is accessible over the network, use tcp(or udp) protocol to setup the network connection, then transfer data based on the specific conditions. You can read Network Programming and TCP/IP With VB.Net to get the start. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please tell us.

Best regards,
    Riquel
    Friday, March 21, 2008 5:22 AM

All replies

• There are two fora on the Native Wireless API. They receive a variable amount of attention but I have seen similar questions there here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=234&SiteID=1

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:21 AM
  • The Microsoft peer-to-peer software is interesting, but I don't think I want anything quite that "managed". I don't need the ability to discover new clients. In my scenario, each machine will know the IP address of every other machine. At some interval (maybe 10 seconds), it will ping all the other computers. If any respond, it will try to sync data with them.

I don't want to get into wireless speific APIs, becuase one or more of the machines in the peer group may be on a CAT5 connection. On machines that are doing this over wireless, I'd rather just let windows try to bring the network up.

I've read some stuff about Remoting, and I've read a bit about sockets. Is one or the other preferred in VB2008? Is there another option that is even better?

Thanks,
    Lance
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:38 AM
  • Hi Lance,

Based on your post, your need to transfer data between computers. You can use sockets to setup connection to implement this. You need to use the Ping class to determine whether a remote computer is accessible over the network, use tcp(or udp) protocol to setup the network connection, then transfer data based on the specific conditions. You can read Network Programming and TCP/IP With VB.Net to get the start. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please tell us.

Best regards,
    Riquel
    Friday, March 21, 2008 5:22 AM