Is there a 64-bit version of System.Data.OracleClient?

Question

• We have several ASP.NET applications that are currently running on 32-bit Windows Server 2003 machines.  Most of our code was written using Microsoft's System.Data.OracleClient library rather than Oracle's Oracle.DataAccess library. 

We are in the process of upgrading to new 64-bit machines running Windows Server 2008.  Is there a 64-Bit version of System.Data.OracleClient, or do we need to convert all of our applications to use Oracle.DataAccess?  We do not want to run WOW as we desire to convert all of our ASP.NET applications to run in IIS as 64-bit.

Thank you.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:41 PM

Answers

• There's a x64 version of System.Data.OracleClient.dll in the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 update, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959209 for more information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:14 AM
    Monday, March 02, 2009 9:20 AM

All replies

• There's a x64 version of System.Data.OracleClient.dll in the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 update, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959209 for more information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:14 AM
    Monday, March 02, 2009 9:20 AM
  • I am developing the app for Windows 7 x64 and i tried installing those patches, but none of them is for Windows 7. Why I am looking for this 64bit version because I am getting following error:

Database Connection Error Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

I have following configurations:
    Windows 7 x64
    Oracle XE
    Visual Studio 2008 SP1
    .Net Framework 3.5 SP1

and I am using System.Data.OracleClient.dll

What I suspect is that the version of my System.Data.OracleClient.dll is compiled targeting x86 CPU. where as I need the one which is compiled of any CPU ... so that I can run My application any Where (32bit or 64bit).

Please post the solution if you have any!
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:43 AM
  • HI ,

Go to IIS and set the application pool to accept x32apps

it maight solve your problem.

regards,

André

Friday, November 26, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Yes. There is a 64 bit version of System.Data.OracleClient.dll. You can find it inside C:\Windows\assembly. You can find two System.Oracle.Client.dll in this folder, but the one with Process Architecture AMD64 is the 64bit version. 
    Monday, April 18, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Yes. There is a 64 bit version of System.Data.OracleClient.dll. You can find it inside C:\Windows\assembly. You can find two System.Oracle.Client.dll in this folder, but the one with Process Architecture AMD64 is the 64bit version. 

Thank you Merin. it worked for me.
    Sanjay
    • Proposed as answer by Sanjay Rimal Monday, May 23, 2011 5:40 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:38 PM
  • I am developing the app for Windows 7 x64 and i tried installing those patches, but none of them is for Windows 7. Why I am looking for this 64bit version because I am getting following error:

Database Connection Error Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

I have following configurations:
    Windows 7 x64
    Oracle XE
    Visual Studio 2008 SP1
    .Net Framework 3.5 SP1

and I am using System.Data.OracleClient.dll

What I suspect is that the version of my System.Data.OracleClient.dll is compiled targeting x86 CPU. where as I need the one which is compiled of any CPU ... so that I can run My application any Where (32bit or 64bit).

Please post the solution if you have any!

Dont forget that Oracle has a set of "driver" files that are called by System.Data.OracleClient.dll to actually do the work.. Theyre installed in some folder like c:\oracle\product\11.1.2\client and are the DLL files that actually manage the connection to the database/TNS names, all that stuff..

These Oracle Data Access Components can be in 32bit or 64 bit versions too... If your .net app is running in 64bit mode, and you have installed the 32bit odac, it gives an error (can't quite remember what)

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

So your 64bit setup has to be 64bit all through.. 64bit app, 64bit System.Data.oracle dll, 64bit ODAC..

Only thing that doesnt matter is it can be a 32 bit or 64 bit oracle server, because it's disconnected from the client software by network data representation (i.e. for the same reason a web server doesnt care if a client is a 64bit IE, or a 32bit linux firefox.. protocol for communicatio of web page data is text/html and that cannot be 32bit or 64bit in the same way an exe is)

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 12:30 PM
  • How did you set System.Data.OracleClient.dll(AMD64) ?
    Monday, May 21, 2012 10:39 AM