none
Printing is causing computer reboot!

Question

• Lately I have had many of my customers reporting to me that when ever they try to print using my software written in VFP 9 it is causing there computers to reboot. One thing in common with everyone is they all have different types HP LaserJet printers! Can anybody help me with this?

Here is the code I am using for printing....

loListener = .NULL.
    do (_reportoutput) WITH 3, loListener
    loListener.QuietMode      = .T.
    loListener.ListenerType = 0
    report form WAYBILL.frx object loListener
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may check if you have the latest drivers versions for hp printers. Thre are some problems with old drivers. Did they try to print from other applications?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Many times getting the latest print drivers from the printer manufacturer solves that kind of problem.

But, in the case of HP, I find their printer drivers are many times more trouble than their worth, especially their later printer drivers.  They seem to cause more problems than they're worth.

Try to use the printer driver that comes with the Windows OS driver setup and use what MS provides for HP first, since you are having a serious re-boot problem.  The drivers MS supplies are checked for compatibility.  And, while you can still question how they're checked, they will generally be more stable than the same that HP provides that gives you problems.

Obviously, once you find a stable driver, uninstall the offending one on the other PCs and (re)install the MS good one for that printer.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:39 PM
  • This is still driving me NUTS!

I have hundreds of clients running my software, many of them have HP Laserjet printers rebooting the computer when they print from VF9 sp1. The most common one out there seems to be the Laserjet 1300 PCL. When I change the driver to Laserjet 1200 PCL everything prints just fine on the same printer. However I can not ask over a hundred clients to change there divers especially when the windows test page and any other application prints just fine using the Laserjet 1300 PCL drivers, But VFP 9.0 with SP1 causes the computer to reboot. If this is an error with VFP9 SP1, how can we get the Microsoft to fix it?

Someone please help.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:06 PM
  • I doubt you'll ever see a fix on this because it's not a bug in VFP. You've proved it yourself.

Windows test page prints because the Windows team wrote workarounds for errant drivers. As you can imagine, there are quite a few developers working on Windows. Same with, for instance, Word. There's a whole TEAM writing code to compensate for flaky drivers.

On VFP you've got a few people working part time on Fox while transitioning to other roles at MS. Getting them to fix a bug that isn't in their product ain't likely.

Users generally will be cooperative about this kind of thing. It's far more common than you might think.

Friday, June 15, 2007 12:05 AM
  •  

Hi Dan

I had this problem myself with printing from our VFP 9.0 SP1 application to a HP laserjet 4050N. The computers would blue screen then try to reboot and freeze I actually had to pull the power cord to shut down the computer pressing power for over 10 seconds did not work. This happened on every Windows XP machine on our lan all other clients Windows 2000 and Windows 98 were fine. It only happened when printing from our VFP app. all others apps printed properly. Upgrading the driver was the only fix I could find. It seems like a windows update must have updated the orginal working driver to something else that caused the crashes. The same app worked fine for mothes then 1 day all computers crashed until the driver was updated. I agree there must be something wrong in VFP 9.0 that is causing it with the particular driver and should be looked into.

Rob

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Just seeing the title I thought "HP printers again"Smile

The solution is to install a driver that ships with windows. That worked well for me. In old times as an alternative I was using _fpreset() to reset math coprocessor. However I don't remember I needed it for a long time and no complaints from our customers (hundreds of them with different OS and printers and would surely would cry if something went wrong). For _fpreset check this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183522

The BSOD suggests it's something more seriousSad Just a shot in dark but might windows update "Software distribution kit 2.0" has some role in it?

Friday, June 15, 2007 12:54 PM
  • Thanks for the help but this code just seemed to cause a blue screen of Death.

Anyone should be able to replicate this with any HP Laserjet printer on XP, simply by changing its driver to a HP laserjet 1300 PCl driver. You'll be able to print a windows test page no problem, but if you try to print from the Foxpro 9 report it will cause a reboot.

If you or anyone else knows of something else I can try please let me know.

Thanks

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Monday, June 18, 2007 9:09 PM
  •  

Thanks Naomi

I will give this a try and see if it cure the problem. It sure seems like it is the same issue.

Rob

Monday, June 18, 2007 11:57 PM
  • You may try to print to an other printer to check ...
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:00 PM
  • We had the same problem with some customers, who have HP LaserJet printers. We had problem with only one report. This report had fields with colors. After removing colors everything is OK.
    HTH

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:01 PM