none
Problems with "CE Remote Tools 5.01" (part of VS 2008)

Question

• Hi,

since a week I have problems using the CE Remote Tools that are installed with Visual Studio 2008 (German) (under German Vista Enterprise). When I'm trying to connect in any of these tools nothing happens, but the device is connected via WMDC. When trying to use Target->Connectivity Options a window with the message "Ungültiger Zeiger" (invalid pointer) appears. In the head of this error message window "ccconnect" is shown.

I've already tried to uninstall and reinstall parts of the Visual Studio 2008 (SP1) installation, but the "CE Remote Tools" folder was not part of them (Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK, .NET Compact Framework 2.0 & 3.5).

In which setup are these tools included so I can do a repair installation? Is there any other possibility to repair my tools?

Please help and thanks in advance,

Klaus

Thursday, October 09, 2008 11:38 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi Klaus,

I had similar problems with my VS 2008. The Problem was, on the desktop-computer were 2 diffrent versions of CE Remote-Tools, for some unknown reason. After I trashbined the wrong ones all was ok again.

Afaik  the Remote-Tools come with Base Installation package.

-Ulrich

Thursday, October 09, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Hi Ulrich,

thanks for your reply. In the meanwhile I've also found in the registry that CE Remote Tools came with the "Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008" package, but repairing it was not successfull. (Your guess was right that it comes with the main package)

Can you give me a hint where another remote tools version can be included? How did it come that you had different versions on your computer?

I've already searched the registry for ccconnect.dll, but I've found only one registered version which came with Visual Studio 2008.

Thanks,

Klaus

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:13 AM
  • Hi Klaus,

If I recall correctly the problem came with the upgrade from VS2005 to VS2008. There the Upgrade left over the old remote tool-dlls, and for some unknown reasons the remote tools like fileviewer wanted to use the old dlls. (Although they have not been referenced in the registry! Looks like something hardcoded Smile ). after erasing the old ones all went fine.

Also note: The remote tools coming with PB SP1 are diffrent to those coming with VS2008! It took me quite a long time to figure this out and to install the VS2008-Versions on the device

So basically I have right now 2 CoreCon on the device and switch them as I need them. One for debugging with PB and one for Debugging with VS2008

(I'm running the PB in a VS2005 Virtual PC)

-Ulrich
    Friday, October 10, 2008 9:00 AM
  • Hi Ulrich,

thanks for your reply. Some minutes ago I've figured out what other installation caused the problems by uninstalling every app on my computer that has something todo with Windows Mobile and the tools were working again after uninstalling the

“Microsoft Synchronization Services for ADO.NET for devices” package (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=75fef59f-1b5e-49bc-a21a-9ef4f34de6fc&DisplayLang=en).

Anyhow, thanks for your help,

Klaus

Friday, October 10, 2008 9:08 AM
  • BTW: This is reproducible. Reinstalling the Sync Services for devices makes the remote tools unusable again. Microsoft support is informed.

Best regards,

Klaus

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:15 AM