none
Heap dump (dmp) in cabinet file

Question

• I have configured the error reporting so that the reports are stored on a shared volume iso being sent to Microsoft.

When the crash occurs I can see that there is not only a mdmp file but also a hdmp file on the temp directory. Howerver the cabinet file on the local share does not contain the hdmp file.

Is is possible to force the hdmp file in the cabinet when using a local share for report storage ?

Thanks.

• Moved by Max Wang_Chinasoft Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:07 PM (From:Windows Error Reporting for ISVs)
    • Moved by Max Wang_Chinasoft Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:07 PM (From:Windows Error Reporting for ISVs)
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Paso,

The CER Directory (\\Server\Drive\CER) should have three sub dirs... Cabs, Counts, and Status.

The catch is that the 'Status' folder is created by the CER tool when the event is communicated to Microsoft through the CER tool.  I envision that you have not done this yet or may not have the tool handy to do this at all.  That's okay.  You simply need to make the Status folder manually.

The Status folder sub directory should look exactly like the Cabs Sub Directory structure, and you need to place the Status.txt at the leaf of the directory branch.

If you are using the CER tool, then simply report to Microsoft.

Kind Regards,

-Jason

Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Hi Paso

Here are the answers to your questions from your last post...

1.  The CER 2.0 tool is no longer supported (I am suprised that the CER website has not yet been decomissioned) so it may not be available since a new offering is available in MOM 2005 that manages Corporate Error Reporting.  My understanding is that the new offering is also an MVLS offering so you (your IT guys) can ask your SA account rep for more information.  The new solution is called AEM (Application Event Management).

2.  Yes, the solution also applies to CER.

3.  This depends on the OS doing the reporting... In Windows Vista, there are WERAPIs availabe for your process to register to have HEAP collected as well as additional files (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681656.aspx for these funtions, and take a look at WerRegisterMemoryBlock and WerReportAddDump).  You can also register your process for restart if it was torn down! In this way, you do not have to configure the reporting machine.

For older versions of the OS, you need to configure the machine ...http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/316450.

Kind regards,

-Jason

Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:05 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Collection of heap data is controlled by the server. Even though it may be generated on the client, it is not transmitted to the server unless it is requested specifically.

To do this with CER, you need to locate the destination directory for the event you're trying to collect (sounds like you've already done this) and create a text file called 'status.txt' if it doesn't already exist. This file must contained the line 'MemoryDump=1' for heap dumps to be collected. If that doesn't work, please write us back.

Thanks,

-Saar Picker

Developer Portal - http://winqual.microsoft.com

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

It's not completely clear to me where to place the status.txt file.

Let me give some more details on my configuration.

Local Computer Policy : Computer configuration : Administrative Templates : System : Error reporting :

Configure Error Reporting = Enabled

Corporate upload file path = \\server\udrive\CER

System Properties | Advanced | Error Reporting:

Enable error reporting: ON

Windows operating system: ON

Unplanned machine shutdowns: ON

Programs: ON

All programs: ON

Force queue mode for program errors: ON

When a program crashes with this configuration I can see a hdmp and mdmp file for each crash on C:\Windows\PCHealth\ERRORREP\UserDumps.

When the system is rebooted I get a "Send error report" dialog for each crash.

The Error Report Contents (view technical information) only shows the mdmp file and the appcompat.txt file.

When I press the "Send Error Report" button the following files and folders are generated.

\\server\udrive\CER\cabs\crashingprogram.exe\0.0.0.0\crashingprogram.exe\0.0.0.0\00001022\0012ddf4.cab

\server\udrive\CER\counts\crashingprogram.exe\0.0.0.0\crashingprogram.exe\0.0.0.0\00001022\count.txt

The cab-file only contains the mdmp file, the appcompat.txt file and a version.txt file, but NOT the hdmp file.

I placed a status.txt file (MemoryDump=1) on following folders:

\\server\udrive\CER

\\server\udrive\CER\cabs

\\server\udrive\CER\cabs\crashingprogram.exe (and all subfolders)

C:\Windows\PCHealth\ERRORREP\UserDumps

But none of them seems to force the hdmp file to be included  in the generated cab file.

(Another strange thing is that the hits.log contains a timestamp that has exactly a 2 hours delta with the modified date of the corresponding cab file)

Because these systems are used for automatic testing, I normally have the following configuration

Local Computer Policy : Computer configuration : Administrative Templates : System : Error reporting :

Configure Error Reporting = Enabled

Corporate upload file path = \\server\udrive\CER

Display Error Notification = Disabled

Local Computer Policy : Computer configuration : Administrative Templates : System : Internet Communication Management :  Internet Communication Settings :

Turn off Windows Error Reporting : Disabled.

I guess this does not make any difference whether the hdmp file is included in the cabinet or not.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:14 AM
  • Hi Paso,

The CER Directory (\\Server\Drive\CER) should have three sub dirs... Cabs, Counts, and Status.

The catch is that the 'Status' folder is created by the CER tool when the event is communicated to Microsoft through the CER tool.  I envision that you have not done this yet or may not have the tool handy to do this at all.  That's okay.  You simply need to make the Status folder manually.

The Status folder sub directory should look exactly like the Cabs Sub Directory structure, and you need to place the Status.txt at the leaf of the directory branch.

If you are using the CER tool, then simply report to Microsoft.

Kind Regards,

-Jason

Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for the information. The heap dumps are now stored in the cabinet files as wanted.

I have however a few other questions:

1. CER tool

The http://www.microsoft.com/resources/satech/cer/ site states that the CER tool is available on the MVLS site. I do not have access to this site my self and our IT guys say that they can not find the tool on this site. Could you give some directions ?

2. Number of cabs stored.

Currently only 5 cabs are stored on the CER-share. In "How to: Configure Microsoft Error Reporting" (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb219076.aspx) I read that this limit can be overriden using the fDwrNoDefaultCabLimit flag. Is it possible to do the same for cabs reported to the CER-share ?

3. Flags in Status.txt.

Because the status.txt must be placed at the leaf of the directory branch and this branch includes version numbers, it is only possible to force heap dump storage after the directory structured has been created. Currenltly we are using CER for reporting crashes from our internal test systems. Every night the new build is installed on these systems and tests are run. So you can see that the version numbers of applications and dll's may be different each day and I can not put a status.txt file on the leaf of a directory branch I don't know yet.  Or am I missing something here ?

Thanks again (and sorry to bother you with these questions)

Paso

Friday, June 01, 2007 7:52 AM
  • Hi Paso

Here are the answers to your questions from your last post...

1.  The CER 2.0 tool is no longer supported (I am suprised that the CER website has not yet been decomissioned) so it may not be available since a new offering is available in MOM 2005 that manages Corporate Error Reporting.  My understanding is that the new offering is also an MVLS offering so you (your IT guys) can ask your SA account rep for more information.  The new solution is called AEM (Application Event Management).

2.  Yes, the solution also applies to CER.

3.  This depends on the OS doing the reporting... In Windows Vista, there are WERAPIs availabe for your process to register to have HEAP collected as well as additional files (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681656.aspx for these funtions, and take a look at WerRegisterMemoryBlock and WerReportAddDump).  You can also register your process for restart if it was torn down! In this way, you do not have to configure the reporting machine.

For older versions of the OS, you need to configure the machine ...http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/316450.

Kind regards,

-Jason

Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:05 PM
  • grf

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 12:22 PM
  •  

not work , i donot now way ?
    Monday, June 30, 2008 1:28 AM
  • Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:20 PM