none
SQLClient Error on SQL2005 - No Process On Other End Of Pipe

Question

• I have a program that works great with SQL2000 but throws the error shown below when used with SQL2005. I have two questions:

1.  How can I fix the error,

2. Where can I look errors like this up on MSDN so I can fix them myself?  A search on MSDN for this error does not return any useful information.

I have the error handler from patterns and practices in my code and it uses a set of messages in a messagebox to show the following error:

Open SQL Connection

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)

Number: 233

Source: .Net  SqlClient Data Provider

SQL: 0

Friday, March 17, 2006 2:51 AM

All replies

• Please refer to this post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=275050&SiteID=1

Hope it helps.

Unfortunately, you cannot find everything in MSDN. In the future, it'll include more useful information. Now the best way is to come this forum and ask. Many MS developer are reading the forum and they might help you:)

Friday, March 17, 2006 4:55 AM
  • That link is interesting but it does not address my error.  When I run the program on the server and do not specify which network library to use, it uses the shared memory provider as the network library and that provider is throwing the error. 

I provided a work-around by forcing it to use TCP/IP by inserting the string "Network Library=dbmssocn" into my connect string.  Now the program works when running on the server.  But I still would like to know what causes the error, why TCP works but Shared Memory does not, and where to look in the Microsoft web sites to find ADO.Net - SQLServer error codes and their solutions.

Friday, March 17, 2006 3:29 PM