Before you post...rules and tips!

General discussion

• Thanks for checking out the Software Testing Forums. There are two primary purposes for this forum:

1. Provide a place to ask questions about software testing techniques, methods, approaches and strategies (and anything else along those lines I've forgotten to mention).
    2. Provide a venue for discussing content on the Microsoft TesterCenter

We know a lot about Visual Studio Team System, but if you have questions about Team System, you will get a much faster answer by using the VSTS forums. Links are below for your convenience:

The moderators and others who frequent this forum know a lot about testing tools, but may get stumped on non-Microsoft tools. I, for one, have had great luck getting questions answered about non-MS tools at SQA Forums, and would recommend that as a good place to start for questions about non-MS testing tools.

Other Things to Keep in Mind

• If you ask a question about VSTS tools, moderators may move your post to the correct forum
    • If someone answers your question, please mark the question as "Answered" in the forum
    • More than one follow up post can be marked as an answer. For example, if two posts both answer parts of your question, you can mark both as answers
    • If a question appears to be answered, but is not marked answered within one week, moderators may mark it as answered
    • We will try to respond to all questions within 24 hours. Sometimes, we may be slower (and often we will be faster). We plan to improve response times as the site interest grows.
    • Please - NO job postings. We'll delete these as we find them.

Thanks again for looking at these forums. Please keep the questions coming.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:57 PM

All replies

• Alan,

Is it also fair to say the these forums are not so much about SQA\SQC but really about the physical act of executing code looking for faults. That is when you say “testing” you are not talking about Verification of the Requirements etc. I know many people will have a different take on something as simple as the phrase “software testing”.

I mention this because this forum may be ideal for harnesses, code coverage, GUI Automation, HTTP recreation  and the more technical aspects of executing code looking for faults (“testing”).

I know the answer to my question may well be “all of the above” but I am thinking how best to position this forum with some of the other forums and I think “technical testing techniques” could be this forum’s strong suite given the MS participation.

Some good stuff so far and I will continue to be a member, just trying to give the forum a more “value add” focus.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:28 PM
  • Actually, no - but it's mostly my fault for choosing poor words above. Personally, I would love to discuss SQA on this forum - few of the discussions have headed in that direction, but I wouldn't mind if they did. "Testing" is immensely overloaded. Add to that that many in the industry call testing QA, and there is more confusion. I just picked words that seemed like they would resonate with the most people.

Another point to keep in mind is that if/when posts head in that direction, it may make sense to split this forum into a few different forums. I've had suggestions to do that already, but I still think the traffic is low enough that we can discuss everything under this single umbrella.

BTW - I really appreciate your participation on the forum - you bring a great voice to these discussions.

Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:42 AM
  • There are a lot of "testing" terms that are used interchangably that can be interpreted entirely differently depending on the context. There is a great article on that topic in Software Quality Magazine from June 2007 entitled "The Whorfian hypothesis" by Lee Copeland and is also online at  http://www.stickyminds.com/s.asp?F=S12401_MAGAZINE_2 but requires a Power Pass to read online.
       The key idea from it was that useful new concepts may be hiding in the differentiation between some seemingly similar terms, e.g. testing, exploratory testing, and session-based exploratory testing. The same differentiation that is not obvious to many applies to Software testing and Software Quality Assurance. Some may just be testing software and some may actually be involved in SQA to a degree and not even realize it.
        I am looking forward to engaging in some of the discussions and hashing out some of the important differences and learning new context as I go.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 1:38 AM
  • Perhaps segmenting the forum into sub-sections would be an approach we could use.  Sections could include general discussions, automation, frameworks, classes, technologies, internal tools, preventive testing, spec validation, test communications, test management... just as a few starter suggestions.

I, too, am glad to see this forum.  There have been numerous efforts at Microsoft, over the years, to collate valuable lessons learned in testing, and dissemination of same.  Toolbox comes to mind (hmm, there's another forum category...), the early test presentations done by Bill Rollinson, the BGIT team who owned RAID, and created Product Studio (which rolled into VSTS essentially)...

I look forward to many lively discussions, and the sharing of a great wealth of information.

Bob Edwards, SDET

SCCM Scale/Stress/Performance

bobed@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:41 PM
  •  

Definitely something we want to do. We are currently figuring out how the groups will look, and hope to roll out some changes in a few months.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 3:41 AM