none
CRM 4.0, SSRS problem or CRM report problem?

Question

• Hi, need some help about this issue.
    We have two servers, ServerCRM which has CRM 4.0 and SSRS installed. And ServerSQL where both CRM and SRS databases are.

My problem is when from CRM trying to run a report, the report runs but contain no data. On no report.

I tried to install the srs data connector, but it doesnt work, cause it says that CRM and reportingserver is running under the same account. Which is network service. Should it be neccesary to run this when crm and ssrs is installed on the same computer? Could it be my problem here?
    I tried to change my ssrs database server, create a new database an publish my report again, but it doesnt work.
    When I open http://servercrm/reports I can se my reports there.

If anyone have any thougt about this, please let me know.

Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:56 PM

All replies

•  

When you installed the CRM application, did you point to the SQL server which has SRSS running rather than give the report server url of the CRM server.  I believe you need to designate the SQL server with SRSS running as the reporting server for the install.  Once you have that corrected then install the data connector.  That should fix the issue.
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:09 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your reply.

The sql server dont have reportingserver installed, its on the crm server only. When I use publishreports.exe it publish my reports to the right server.

The problem that i cant run the connector, it complain on the thing that they are running under same account, eg network service on both crm and ssrs.

//Micke

Monday, December 22, 2008 7:41 AM
  • I would install the SQL Reporting server on the SQL and publish the reports to the new Reporting Server or uninstall CRM and then install it using the new Reporting Server.  When that is done, then install the Connector and it will work as expected.  I don't have confidence that you are going to have a good experience with using SQL Reporting Service on the CRM server in the absence of SQL.  Put the Reporting Server on the same box as SQL.

Monday, December 22, 2008 1:06 PM
    Owner
  • The problem is that the customer dont want IIS to be running on the sql box.

But I read nowhere that CRM and SSRS couldnt be on the same server. If anyone had, please send me a link then I parhaps can negotiate with the customer on the issue. Otherwise I would be grateful for further assistance.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:01 PM
  • Check out this link and see if it provides any insight:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Dynamics/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3952174&SiteID=27

If not, can you provide some additional information?

• When you ran your CRM installation did you specify the report server URL in the following format

• When you open a CRM report from the report server rather than CRM, does it run correctly and return data?
    • Try running the Report Service using a different domain admin account and see if you get a different result.
    • Are there any error messages logged in the CRM server event viewer when you attempt to run a report from the CRM server?
    • Which version of SQL and SRSS are you running?  2005 or 2008?
    • Did you receive any warnings or error messages during the CRM installation?

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:22 PM
    Owner
  •  

In the installation, i used url to the reportserver.

When I try to run the report i doesnt work acctually.

It says

an error has occured during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

Cannot create a connection to data source 'CRM', (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx....)

No other result when I try different accounts.

I will try to run tracelog to see if I can see any problems there. Windows logs doesnt show anything wrong.

I'm running 2005 Sql server and ssrs. CRM is running on Win 2008.

No warnings or error during the installation.

I will look inte the error message for the reportserver. Maybe the connection string is wrong.

After the installation was done, we used edit organisation to change friendly name.

//Micke

Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Ok, didn't know you changed the Organization name. 

I would focus on getting the reports to run from the Report Server.  You will want to get the server into a state where you can install the data connector.  This will ensure a better user experience.  You can dowload the diag tool for CRM if you don't already have that and turn on Dev errors to see if you obtain a more detailed report when you attempt to run the report from the CRM server.  Here is the link. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/benlec/archive/2008/03/04/crmdiagtool4-for-microsoft-crm-4-0-has-been-released.aspx

You may want to take a look at the datasource on the Report server and see if you see any unexpected information.  Your datasource should look something like this:

Hide In List View = checkbox

Enable this Datasource = checkbox

Connection Type = MS SQL Server

Name =  MSCRM_DataSource

Connection String = Data Source=ReportServerName;Initial Catalog=CRMDatabaseName;Integrated Security=SSPI

Connect Using = Windows Integrated Security

Security Properties

BUILTIN\Administrators = Content Manager

SDSI\ReportingGroup {guid} = Browser for Microsoft CRM
    SDSI\SQLAccessGroup {guid} = Publisher for Microsoft CRM

Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:05 PM
    Owner
  •  

The issue of the Network service account is somewhat telling.

Now, could it be that the SQL server is running Windows 2000 for the OS?

Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

It seems I'm stuck. I have checked the connectionstring, and it seems to be ok. I believe it should point at sql server and not reportserver.

SQL server is 2005, and CRM is running on windows 2008 and sqlserver reportserver 2005 sp2.

It complains when i try to run sql connector, as I wrote before, that ssrs and crm uses the same account. eg network service. When I try to change the account in reportserver configurator, I can create the new app pools, but it cant change to use them. And I doing it with a domain admin account. Maybe there is something wrong with the reportserver after all.

I got some more info about the installation. Better late than never.

When installing CRM it was used

Database AB_company_mscrm

Friendly name AB_company

Org name ABcompany

After they had to change friendly name to same as org name. So in deployment manager, org been disabled and they changed friendly name, and enable it again.

Strange thing, after this, the database was renamed from AB_company_mscrm to ABcompany_mscrm, crm works but many customizations read data from AB_company_mscrm.

They have to run the importwizard to import the org again to be able to change to the right db name. But, since the org with same(ABcompany) name already exist and it cant import with same org name, a temp org were imorted, and after that the ABCompany were imported, with DB AB_company_mscrm, friendly name and org name ABcompany

Even if this seems to be a bit wierd, I cant see anything that is wrong with it. If there is any thought that pops up, please let me know.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 9:26 AM
  •  

I would open a ticket with Microsoft Support.  I think it will be worth your time and efffort to let them focus on getting the issue corrected.  I think this will be easier to troubleshoot by someone who can spend time in your environment, review it and find the issues.
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:21 PM
    Owner
  • Hi!

Any resolution on this issue? 

I'm facing same issue.. 

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

FrenGel

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hi, I have installed CRM version 4 (plus SQL) onto server-1 and SQL Server 2008 R2 + Reporting Services onto server-2. When I check security via CRM it works - If I am in Business Unit Financial I cannot view info from other Business Units such as Marketing, Sales, etc. Yet, if I run a SQL Server Reporting Services report on server-2 I can view report info of all Business Units, so somehow security works correct in CRM but it's not delegated via CRM to SSRS 2008 R2. Hope someone can assist. 
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:29 PM