none
Reporting Services

Question

• What Reporting Services tool do I use for local report development (.rdlc). I have been using VS 2008. Can I use the report builder tools (3.0) for local reports? What about VS 2010, VS2012 ? I saw a thread about Rport Builder 3.0 not supporting local report development and deployment but a new release was coming that would.

Confused........

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

In Reporting Services, reports that we create by using Report Builder or Report Designer are save as .rdl file. the client report definition (.rdlc) file is created in custom application with ReportViewer controls.

If I understand correctly, you want to open .rdlc files in Report Builder. If so, you sould convert RDLC to RDL Files.
    What's more, the reports that are created with ReportBuilder 3.0 use the RDL 2010 Schema, while VS 2008 or VS 2005  is using the SQL Server 2005 RDLC schema. You can try to upgrade the report to RDL 2010 by open the report in SSRS 2008 R2 BIDS or SSRS 2012 SSDT after convert RDLC to RDL.

Reference:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252109(v=vs.110).aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 28, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Fanny:

Thank you for the response but I am not sure I understand yet. My current report development environment is VS 2008 and I create reports (.rdl) on my local drive and then rename to .rdlc to deploy in a winforms app with a report viewer control. I do not have access to a report server. Can I still use the current reporting services tools (report builder 3.0 or VS2010/12) in this manor without a Report Server. If so, are my reports compatible with the new schema? 

Friday, June 28, 2013 1:33 PM