using power pivot configuration tool and getting malformed URL error

Question

• Hi.  One of the steps involved in previewing Crescent calls for using the Configure Powerpivot for Sharepoint Tool. 

I'm getting an error in that tool that I think has to do with Sharepoint.  I think I'm suppossed to see a text box into which a port is displayed but I dont see it.  I do see the text boxes for default account, pswds, db server and passphrases.

Anyway the error says something like  "Value for Parameter (Site URL) is null or invalid.  Malformed url: <site url>"

Can somebody who understands this step shed some light?  I'm already aware of the instruction white papers , in fact they are what I followed to get to this step.   I tried my best to document the steps I followed to install sp 2010 and the service pack so I may be able to shed some light if there was a step that I was supposed to do but didnt.

<input id="4652a0c1-914a-40a3-a74e-2e3d21336f25_attachments" type="hidden" />
    Monday, October 03, 2011 4:53 PM

Answers

• apparently allowing the sp 2010 server config wizard to run after sp 2010 install is completely contrary to what the Power Pivot Config tool tries to do.  So this time, I followed the instructions verbatum at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oneclickbi/archive/2011/07/21/getting-up-and-running-with-sql-server-denali-for-business-intelligence-crescent-and-powerpivot-in-ctp3.aspx and did not run sp's config tool before applying service pack 1 to sp. 

These wizards are so contrary to eachother that even though I completely uninstalled sp 2010 2 or 3 times before getting this right, it left behind an IIS Central Admin Web Site in IIS that the Power Pivot Tool made me rename before it would continue doing its thing.  From the list of config settings I'm seeing in the Power Pivot Tool flagged items, it appears that Power Pivot takes a lot of the responsibility that would otherwise be accomplished by SP 2010 Server Config Tools and scripts.

• Marked as answer by db042188 Friday, October 14, 2011 4:14 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:13 PM

All replies

• i just tried navigating to the sp 2010 central admin url provided to me during sp 2010 install and got this error...

HTTP Error 503.  The service is unavailable. 

I got the same error when trying to navigate to the sp 2010 team template site url itself.

I looked at the services running on the vm and see the following:

Sharepoint 2010 Admin, but status was blank

Sharepoint 2010 Timer, same

Sharepoint 2010 Tracing, same

Sharepoint 2010 User Code Host, same

Sharepoint 2010 VSS Writer, same

Sharepoint Foundation Search V4, same

Sharepoint Server Search 14, same

I'll try starting all of these and see what happens.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:10 PM
  • I started the sp services that werent disabled including the sp 2010 admin one and then ran the following command as admin from dos.  But still get the 503 error trying to navigate to either url afterward.

iisreset /noforce. 

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:34 PM
  • I started the application pools that werent started and am now able to navigate to my central admin and team template sp 2010 sites. 

But I still get the malformed URL error and am unable to override the script that is generated by the power pivot config tool.

Does anybody know if I need to go thru the Denali PP for SP install again because perhaps this site info is resolved and recorded during that install and MS's software couldnt accomplish this the first time?

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:55 PM
  • i see 2 web apps in central admin's web app tab. 

The second has what I expected for central admin itself...

...but the 1st, if its supposed to be the team template sp site, looks different from what I expected.  Its name in this tab displays as "Sharepoint - 80", its url displays as http://server/ and its port as 80.

My team site's url is supposed to be http://server/sites/CrescentDemo

Only these 2 sites display in central admin's web app tab currently.

I am dead in the water and wonder if the community feels I need to uninstall and repeat some of the steps.
    • Edited by db042188 Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:38 PM make it clear I am still stuck
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:15 PM
  • apparently allowing the sp 2010 server config wizard to run after sp 2010 install is completely contrary to what the Power Pivot Config tool tries to do.  So this time, I followed the instructions verbatum at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oneclickbi/archive/2011/07/21/getting-up-and-running-with-sql-server-denali-for-business-intelligence-crescent-and-powerpivot-in-ctp3.aspx and did not run sp's config tool before applying service pack 1 to sp. 

These wizards are so contrary to eachother that even though I completely uninstalled sp 2010 2 or 3 times before getting this right, it left behind an IIS Central Admin Web Site in IIS that the Power Pivot Tool made me rename before it would continue doing its thing.  From the list of config settings I'm seeing in the Power Pivot Tool flagged items, it appears that Power Pivot takes a lot of the responsibility that would otherwise be accomplished by SP 2010 Server Config Tools and scripts.

• Marked as answer by db042188 Friday, October 14, 2011 4:14 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:13 PM