Problem with the identity of COM+ application

Question

• Hello,
    I am now facing a very strange issue. 
    One of our product installers registers numerous COM dll's during the installation of the  product. Subsequently, this creates COM+ applications under Administrative tools --> Component Services --> COM+ applications.
    One of  the COM+ applications is created during the install to run under NETWORK SERVICE  account. However, at times , it has been observed that the identity of this COM+ application is set to interactive. I am using a msi based installer. The windows installer log files clearly state that the COM+ application was set to run under NETWORK SERVICE account. 
    We use our own custom code to create this COM+ application. 
    This issue is not reproducible at will. However, it does happen on some environments.
    Either of the two things is happening:
    i)There is a bug in the installer code which is causing this
    ii)There is something outside of install which is causing this.
    I need to root cause this behavior.
    Reason as to what is causing this.
    Upon carrying out some research on the web, i have come across the following two articles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926098
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/distributedservices/archive/2009/06/19/tracing-in-com-and-complus.aspx
    These two articles talk about how diagnostic logging can be enabled for COM+ components.
    However, i am not really sure if they will be of use to me , as i need to accurately pin point as to what is changing the identity of  the COM+ component to INTERACTIVE USER.
    The other major disadvantage with this logging is that the .etl files output ,are in a binary format and can only be decoded by contacting Microsoft with the help of so called .tmf files.
    Questions:
    i)What are the other options available to me to diagnose this issue?
    ii)Can i format the .etl files without the help of Microsoft?
    iii)Is there any mechanism in place just like process monitor, which could monitor all the events within COM+?
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kiran Hegde

Friday, February 03, 2012 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks,

Kiran Hegde

Monday, February 06, 2012 5:01 AM