none
Can't access Internet Options and can't download anything

Question

• I tried to download the Adobe FlashPlayer and it wouldn't download and when I searched for an answer for that problem, I found out that the problem may lie in IE7.  I uninstalled it and did a few other quick fixes that I found and nothing worked.  Now I can't reinstall IE7 or anything else.  I can't download anything, can't access Internet options because the menu bar (Favorites, tools, etc) is gone.  When I try to access internet options through the control panel, a little box comes up and then disappears.  This is my first time posting so I hope someone has an answer for me.  Thanks for looking.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:36 AM

All replies

• I downloaded IE8 beta, which would load but couldn't reach the internet. So, I removed it using a 'Restore' rollback. It brought back IE7, but without menus or right-mouse functionality. I rolled back to an earlier 'Restore' point, which made matters even worse! IE7 flashes momentarily on the screen but refuses to load, and has no menus.

I'm experiencing exactly the same behavior that tonjiat2001 is. I can't download anything. I can't reinstall IE7 because I don't have a disc. I can't access Internet Options through Control Panel. A little gray box flashes quickly, too quickly to read, when I try. At the suggestion of the IE7 troubleshooter on Microsoft's 'Get It Now' site, I tried to access Internet Options through the DOS command line. That didn't work either.

Can anyone help me?

• Proposed as answer by fernbar4 Friday, May 04, 2012 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:23 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem for exactly the same reason.  Did you ever get an answer?

• Proposed as answer by Edgar0096 Saturday, December 18, 2010 7:39 AM
    Saturday, November 01, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Sorry, Rubyflash, I never found a satisfactory solution!

I reformatted my harddrive and reinstalled XP Home s.p. 2, s.p.3, then reinstalled IE7 from the Microsoft website. I'm [NOT] going to touch IE8 until it's long out of beta.

I did turn up one article about accessing Internet Options through the DOS command line. I didn't try it though.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:34 PM
  •  

Internet Options should also be accessible from the Control Panel. If not, try Add/Remove Programs, select from the sidebar "Windows components" and see the options there to reinstall it (may need to insert the Windows CD/DVD though)
    Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Actually, Internet Options were not accesible from Control Panel either when this happened. The earlier poster probably is having the same problem. It didn't occur to me to reinstall Windows that way. I've removed and added Windows components through Control Panel. I didn't know I could reinstall the entire OS that way. The problem was with IE, and there's nothing about that specifically in that part of Control Panel. I think you've saved the earlier poster some grief, thanks. As for me, I liked the 'like new' feel I got from a reformat-reinstall.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:08 AM
  • Ruby, I hope you saw the message that George B. left for me. It may save you a lot of trouble! Good luck!

Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Thanks to both of you.  I tried the add/remove but it didn't work.  Somehow I think IE8 changed the access or put in some kind of firewall.  I can access through AOL, but I can't download.  I REALLY don't want to reformat.  Maybe someone else had the same problem.  Sometimes a computer it so frustrating!

Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:39 AM
  • * From Add/Remove windows components dialog, which modules did you remove? (and which did you add later on after reboot)

* At the control panel there's the firewall and you can disable it from there

* It's easy to check if the problem is IE or the Firewall. Download Mozilla Firefox (www.mozilla.com) at an Internet Cafe or a friend's machine and check it out. Better use www.jotti.org or your locally installed antivirus to check the file before running it if you get it from another machine.

* BTW, have you scanned your system? (also try http://safety.live.com if you do have access to the Internet, it's free from MS).

* Also try removing and reinstalling your antivirus or any third-party firewall (e.g. ZoneAlarm) you have. Esp. with ZoneAlarm there was some bug with IE8 I think (they should have update on their site by now)

Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:07 AM
  • At some point, I downloaded IE7 on another 'puter, to a CD. Then installed IE from the disc onto the broken machine.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:52 AM
  • George, if Ruby's having the same problem I had, she can't download anything. When this happened to me, I was able to access the net through Outlook and Chrome. Even so, I couldn't download anything. Evidently Ruby has found a way to access the net, but probably can't download anything either.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 4:02 AM
  • adolpet is correct...I can't download anything.  Not through AOL either.  I can get to the internt through AOL, but that's it.  I ordered the IE7 CD from Microsoft so I'll see if that works.  Thanks for everone's help!

Monday, November 03, 2008 2:18 PM
  • Let me add to everyone's grief lol

I have the SAME problem with IE 8. Let me break it down some more...

So one day I was having problems with IE 8 (Tabs were starting on their own as if someone was trying to overload my computer) so I wanted to uninstall it. Instead of uninstalling I thought a good ole System Restore would do the trick but after that it just ended with this. It would seem that after the restore, XP some vital IE8 files and now I am without a file menu, tools menu, etc. The title of the page doesn't show up, the titles in the tabs don't sho up only the icons. It feels like a very stripped down explorer and to make the matters worse i've lost right click functionality and download on it. It's very weird and I've done a lot of research, but nothing is useful or is never to the point. I completed a reformat just months ago and i'm not about to do it again. I thought there was a way to reinstall windows, but keep your files at the same time. In anyway I hope there is a solution soon. Thanks any everyone, and by god, Goodluck.
    • Proposed as answer by nikko3 Tuesday, April 07, 2009 3:39 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:47 AM
  • http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/d...

It's a trojan. This tool whipped it out in under a minute, quick reboot and all set. This drove me mental for 2 days. RELIEF!!

This problem is on loads of forums so if it works for you please paste it somewhere else

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Grief ant the right word lol  ____ is much better.  I told hubby NOT to download IE 8 and he always does everything I tell him not to. He never told me he did it so I was blaming hids dilemma on spam mail he opens all the time.  lol This morning his pc crashed he had warning that said windows was protecting him by not allowing him to open something. When I oked that screen it disappeared and left blank black screen. No desktop no start no nuttin. I was able to get to system restore thru the help spot at the bottom of warning. As I looked thru the available restore dates, I saw that he downloaded IE 8 on April 3rd. I just wrote the message below to microsofts fix it site after it failed. I am waiting for a smart person with answers. My pc is fine because I always keep the old things instead of updating. I'm still using yahoo's 7.0 messenger set up. Theres always too many ironed out bugs when things first come out. I have no need for them right away. Hubby says he never downloaded IE 8 that it downloaded itself. lol I'm beginning to believe him. I've never seen a computer messed up so bad it wont reformat.
    I have tried everything I can find to try and nothing helps. I clicked the fix it and saw a quick flash but nothing was fixed. I also ran regedit and the lines it says to delete there are not there to delete. Hubby put IE 8 in a few days ago after I told him not to. lol should of kept my mouth shut. But I told him I still have IE 6 in my xp and it works just fine. I downloaded IE 7 several times and removed it several times. This morning his pc would not boot, he kept getting a warning that windows DEP or DEC was protecting his pc by not allowing him to open a program it mentioned builders or framework or something like that. I thought I'd remember name and didnt write it down. This warning came up every time he restarted his pc and when we clicked ok on the box it went to a black screen and stayed there. The 3rd time it came up I clicked the bottom of the warning window that opened the help area. from there I got to the windows restore and restored it back to April 3rd and it worked and at least the desk top and start became available. I thought it was fixed but when he opened IE 7 there was no menu bar nor any way to bring it up. Right clicking on the toolbars had no options of anything like they normally would. The internet options in control panel wont open, Cant download anything. I also got a fatal warning when i tried to remove a toolbar  that said i needed to go download and reinstall a missing exetend.exe file from my service provider. They sent me to download site, but I cant download anything. I read the OWNERS MANUAL and tried all I read there. I restarted pushing F12 when Dell site name came up. I went there and ran all the tests available there and nothing found wrong. I ran spybot and AVG and there was a few spies but no viruses. I tried running all the chkdsk's mentioned in user manual and the only one that ran was the read only one. Its like his computer went limp or lost the power to do anything asked of it.  We tried about 4 other restore points and none would work, only the first one. Then we tried to reformat it back to like when new 4 times and it just went straight to the desktop every time we pushed ctrl and F11. Then I found your fix it page and it was of no help either. I hope Something is found to fix this soon. Sorry for all the bad comments, told the truth. Very frustrated for over 13 hrs now. cant get anywhere. not sure what an URL is. was up all night and cantr think
    Monday, April 13, 2009 10:53 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem to a tee as Gregory...it seems as if IE8 is the big culprit here but I can't fully uninstall that either. If it's a virus I'm not sure how to get rid of it since I can't download anything. BTW, my excel is also affected. Can someone please help!!!!!!
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:04 AM
  • To those that have been affected with ie 8 installs, I want to asure you, its a problem with the ie 8 and not a virus. I was continuely getting update messages from windows asking me to update and install new components (IE8) being one of those, I had a previous problem with a .net framework 2.0  from a program installation, and I thought it had corrected untill I downloaded the ie 8. The first time using it it seemed fine, however the next there were problems cropping up all over the place, list of problems :

1. Internet options in control pannel wont open
    2. Tools icon, Home icon and others alike are missing from the top tool bar (cant access options from there if it doesnt exist)
    3. File, Edit, View, Favourites, Tools, Help are all missing from top tool bar
    4. links on web pages for downloads will not work
    5. steps: start, run, msconfig, startup selection, normal startup, ok- returns error message log on as administrator, although I am the administrator
    6. On the bottom progress loading bar of internet pages I have a tiny white page with a red circle and a white cross in it
    7. On my desktop toolbar when IE is opened I have an IE icon but no text to tell which web page I am viewing

I have McAfee installed on this computer and all seems fine when checking for viruses and threats
    I have an active firewall and all settings are the same as before downloading IE8, I have not manually changed these settings

Windows xp home edition sp2
    SP3 installed through atomatic updates
    Broken IE8

Please help, I do not wish to do a complete format of the hard drive, and then re install windows, I have a pretty good knowladge of computers but this exceeds me as I can not download anything to resolve the issues, is there any other way?

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Stu the rocker Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:38 PM
    Friday, August 07, 2009 12:00 PM
  • let me tell u all it is not IE 8 at all i got the same problem without IE 8 so u can get rid of tht idea, i sggest it is jsut a virus
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Thanks for your reply but You cant get a virus without downloading something net or cd, (including a web page), and since the computer has only been on, used for the automatic updates and then restarted, I cant see a virus comming from no where, mcafee is completely safe and virus protection is up to date and working, as well as firewall, complete scans of computer show no infected and no possible threats, only modifications to this computer since this occured was the windows updates, and these are the only things, including on the update site, that have a problem in their updates, and installations and that was where the troubles started. You may not have IE 8 and have the same problems, but isnt it possible to have the same experiance as someone else but from something different to that person? "Stu The Rocker" You believe it is a virus, so please tell me where you think you got this virus, and what virus prtection you are using.. Thanks
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:00 PM
  • tbh i think this virus is anywhere but i beielve it is held within system 32 in the pc, but it could be anything from problems with within every internet exlplorer since IE 7, but it does not work with Mozilla,etc... so it is hard to say wot the problem is i am jsut hoping that freedownloadmanager.org will fix this problem for me, and hope it helps you too. The msot likely problems that we consider may not be the source at all so i am jsut hopin the problme is fixed soon rather than later, i jsut say virus as it is a thing to fall back on in desperate times since i downloaded IE 7 which means that Microsoft may have sent out his download with viruses on by a hacker or etc...
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Ok now i have the EXACT same problem and was wondering have you fixed this PLZ message me bk Asap

Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Exact same thing happened to me everyone. I downloaded ie8...but I was having problems with my sound and the easiest solution was to SR. I did I got the same results...I looked around for an anwser to fix the problem. My sound now worked but my internet didn't. I didn't want to pick which on I could use. So what I did was I simply undo my S.R. and installed firefox uninstalled i.e.8 download 7 from firefox (I don't know if all that was nessicary but I wanted to have a browser just in case) and the I restored my system to when the sound worked... I don't know if you will all have to do the entire process I'm just saying what I did. =)

Saturday, November 06, 2010 12:24 AM
  • So this problem has now found me too and I am sooooo glad to have found all of you... misery loves company?  It's now New Year's Eve 2011..tomorrow will be 2012.  I've been working on this problem for too long.  What was the final fix??  Nikko3 says it's a trojan and provides a link to download that will fix it but... I can't download anything, nothing, zip, zero, nada.  Have tried to download several alleged fixes from MS but, no download possible.  Does this mean the only option I have is to reformat?

Any/all help appreciated.

Oh, and Happy New Year to you all from Denver CO!

Sunday, January 01, 2012 1:44 AM