none
Nokia Lumia 620 makings copies(2-7,8 or any number automatically) of music+Video files.

Question

• My Nokia Lumia 620 making copies of music and video files in default media hub. Number of copies may be anything from 2 to 5, 10 or any other number.I'm using GDR3 update preview for developers and updated it with latest release of Dec 2013

copies remains even after formatting memory card.

Friday, December 27, 2013 1:46 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I found a most simple way to refresh our gallery on wp8 or lumia phones.

- Extract your SD card from settings and then physically

- Connect your SD card to your Windows computer

- Get your setting of Windows Explorer to view hidden files

- Remove all "BBThumb" files from your SD card (search it in all folders and outside of folders)

- Remove "tmp" folder and "settings" folder from your SD card (Hidden)

- Restore your SD card and the lumia phones will detect it immediately

- DONE

Its done for me on my Nokia Lumia 620 (just updated to Black edition)

Please inform me if this way helps you or not.

Thank's

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hello Mohan Singh Parmar:

Thank you for posting to the forum regarding the issue you are having with duplicate songs on your phone.  I have seen various reports of this on different Windows phones and it is typically related to a SD card or the way in which the content was added to the phone.  I would like to gather a few details regarding your experience and provide you a few suggestions/tips to see if you can change that experience.

First, provide the following information related to your phone, your music and the process in which the music was stored/added to the phone.

• Do you have a removable SD card in the phone and if so, what is the make and model of the SD card?
    • Is all the music you have on your phone stored on the SD card, stored on the phone's local storage, on a combination of both or only being accessed via the cloud?
    • How did you add this content to your phone, direct download from the marketplace, synced to the phone through file explorer, synced to the phone via the desktop sync application, etc...?
    • What is the file format of the music you have on your phone?  If you connect your phone to your computer you should be able to view the music files on your phone and right click them to see the file extension.
    • When you view the files in file explorer, can you delete the duplicates? 
    • Can you delete the duplicates directly from the phone? 
    • When you remove duplicates, do they come back at a later time?
    • If you go to the Music and Video application and tap the (...) on the main page, do you have a slider related to your cloud collection?  If you do, is this set to ON or OFF?

As for a couple things to try.  If you do have a removable SD card in the phone, follow the safe remove process here, http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/How-to/wp8/basics/use-an-sd-card-to-add-space.  Remove the card from the phone and then reboot.  Do you still see duplicates on the phone?  If you do, do you see the same number of duplicates on the phone?  If you add new music to the phone's storage, do you get duplicates?

After you have documented what you see with the SD card removed I would like to know what things look like when the SD card is in the phone and full of your Music collection.  Before reading your Music collection, copy all music to your computer and then delete the music from your phone.  Once the phone is clear of all music, add your SD card and format it via the phone by following the steps outlined in the above article.  Once that card is formatted, add your music collection do the SD card.  Monitor the behavior to see if duplicates are added to the phone.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon with more information.

Mark W.

Monday, December 30, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Since 8.0.10521.155 update I have same issue with songs and pictures (never with videos). All photos and videos are stored in SD card.

No more duplicates on songs since this morning, when I've deleted all in SD Card (with Windows File Explorer) and synchronized again using Windows Media.

With pictures I've tried all: deleted from SD Card with phone, with Windows File Explorer and synchronized again using file explorer and Windows Phone App (modern UI), and all combinations. Tried formating SD card with phone too. Multiplication of photos persisted always on all cases.

The SD card is an 8Gb microSD. I don't know class or model. It was originally included with Nokia 5800 handset.

Tried storing photos on internal memory too, but same problem was observed there, copying from PC or taking photos with camera, some of them were multiplicated soon or late.

I want to clearify that photo files are not multiplied, only the thumbnails in picture hub. Copying photos from phone to PC with File Explorer doesn't make duplicates on PC, but doing same thing with Windows Phone App, creates as file copies as thumbnails of each one is seen on picture hub.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, January 02, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Hello Agildata:

Thank you for posting to the forum regarding your experience with pictures looking to be duplicated in your picture hub.  We appreciate your feedback and hope that you can provide just a bit more clarity.

You state that you see multiple thumbnails of the same picture.  If you tap each thumbnail, does the picture open and display on the phone properly? 

You mention that you see multiple copies in the pictures hub.  If you connect the phone and view the picture folder in File Explorer, does File Explorer indicate that just one file copy of that picture exists?

When you state that you see multiple copies/thumbnails in the picture hub, are these included in the same album, different albums or are they simply being seen on the phone's camera roll?

When you take a new picture on the phone do you discover that this picture duplicates?  If you do, can you inform us of what actions may have been taken (uploading to SkyDrive, syncing to computer, etc...) or what amount of time passed between taking the picture and the duplicate being seen.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mark W.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:18 AM
  • If I tap on any thumbnail I can see the picture without problems. If I have the picture in screen an slide it to next or previous I can see all duplicates too.

Connecting device to PC with USB and opening pictures folder with Windows file explorer no duplicates are shown, only one file per picture exists (only thumbs in device's picture hub are duplicated), but syncing device with Windows Phone App instead generates duplicates on PC.7

The issue occurs on any album or folder on picture hub, including phone's camera roll. No matter if pictures were copied with file explorer, Windows Media or Windos phone app. Taking a photo with camera causes duplicated thumbs of that photo inmediately. Not all photos are duplicated but a very high percentage does.

Skydrive sync is disabled and no other syncing is running when duplicating ocurrs.

This issue, for me, only happens with pictures. No duplicates on songs or videos at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:53 AM
  • I'm also facing the same problem with my Nokia Lumia 520 running Amber. I have as many as 4-5 multiple photos on my phone. Here is a screen shot.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/9vcc.png/][IMG]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4615/9vcc.png[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

If I delete any thumbnail or pic the entire series gets deleted.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Hello All:

Thank you for your continued responses.  We will continue to look over this and see if we can find any commonality that may be causing this issue.  I will be sure to update you with any new information found.

In the meantime I want to present a couple things and would like feedback from anyone who has the chance or is willing to try the following.  First, please do the following and let me know if you see these duplicate pictures listed in file explorer as hidden files.

1- Open the File explorer.
    2- Click on Organize on the left top corner>Folder and search Options>View>Hidden Files and folders and make sure the option Show hidden files folders and drives.
    3- Now connect your phone to the computer and review the picture folder.

I would also be interested to know if this duplicate issue continues after a factory reset of the phone.  For anyone willing to do this I would suggest you first remove any SD card.  Also, make sure that you turn on your back ups and copy any content on the phone to your PC to ensure it is not lost during this process.

We look forward to hearing back from you with more details on this issue.

Mark W.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:21 PM
  • Trying steps you say results in no duplicates or hidden files shown in directory listing. Same files are with or without showing hidden files option enabled.

About making a factory reset on device, I will try it and will tell you the results, but I know of people in another forums that resetted their devices and all of them said that problem comes back again.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:52 PM
  • Hard reset done. No duplicates until now. If problem comes back I will inform you here.

Steps I've followed were:

1. Configuration > Storage > Extract SD card.

2. Device turned off.

3. SD Card physycally extracted.

4. Device turned on.

5. Configuration > Information > Factory Reset.

6. Configuration and backup restored.

7. Device turned off.

8. SD Card inserted physically.

9. Device turned on.

10. SD card detected. Answer Yes to store all media on SD card question.

11. After SD card readed all folders and camera roll where restored. No duplicates on songs or pictures. All working fine until now.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:58 AM
  • Hi Agildata,

Seems steps you've told are promising. Haven't you seen duplicates post performing above steps?

--Aj

Monday, February 03, 2014 11:50 AM
  • Hi, CrazyAjay88, no more issues since that. All is working fine.

All facts are saying that issue have to do with some kind of hidden index information that is stored in device and causes duplicate thumbs.

When problem started, inmediately after updating OS, I've moved all pictures and music from phone's memory to SD Card. May be all problems comes from that, but I cannot say if cause was update or moving data, but I think there are a lot of information to try reproducing the issue.

The good news are that problem seems to be dropped by making a factory reset. Using OS backup utilities, isn't a hard task.

• Edited by Agildata Monday, February 03, 2014 12:10 PM
    Monday, February 03, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Nice description. But have a question will my contacts  be restored after factory reset. I guess not.
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:28 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I'm too facing the same issue with Lumia 520. earlier my pictures were duplicating I formatted my SD card and now music files are multiplying. Please find my answers in the lines.

• Do you have a removable SD card in the phone and if so, what is the make and model of the SD card? – Yes, removable Micro SD card. It came with my Nokia E63.
    • Is all the music you have on your phone stored on the SD card, stored on the phone's local storage, on a combination of both or only being accessed via the cloud? All on SD Card, But pictures were on phone when they multiplied earlier.
    • How did you add this content to your phone, direct download from the marketplace, synced to the phone through file explorer, synced to the phone via the desktop sync application, etc...?  downloaded from Nokia music & synced to the phone through file explorer. Pictures taken from Camera
    • What is the file format of the music you have on your phone?  If you connect your phone to your computer you should be able to view the music files on your phone and right click them to see the file extension. ‘.MP3’
    • When you view the files in file explorer, can you delete the duplicates? Yes
    • Can you delete the duplicates directly from the phone? Yes(But if parent file gets deleted, duplicate is also deleted)
    • When you remove duplicates, do they come back at a later time? Yes but not immediately
    • If you go to the Music and Video application and tap the (...) on the main page, do you have a slider related to your cloud collection?  If you do, is this set to ON or OFF? No, just one option of Settings.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:57 AM
  • Hi, Ankit_jainlfc, your contacts will be restored as they are synchronized with your Windows Live account that you use to configure your phone.

See this link for more info on making a backup before hard reset: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/back-up-my-stuff

Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:44 AM
  • Hello Ankit_jainlfc:

Thank you for the post.  At this point my suggestion is to remove the SD card from your phone and then do a factory reset of the phone.  Once the phone is reset, sync the media to the phones local storage and then add some new pictures and music. 

Monitor the medias behavior and report back to us.  What I have seen is that this tends to be related to the SD card in the phone, the phone's firmware or a hardware issue.  I am hoping that it is simply an issue with the SD card as a reformatting or replacement of the card may help to resolve the issue.  This article discusses safely removing the SD card, reformatting the SD card and other tidbits related to your additional storage."

We look forward to hearing back from you on this.

Mark W.

• Proposed as answer by Ankit_jainlfc Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:30 AM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 7:15 AM
  • Thanks Mark and Agildata. So far so good. No duplicate images or music files. But there is one issue here.Can you tell me how to restore the settings and App list that I had before? My contacts got restored as I logged in to the Live account but not settings. 
    Saturday, March 01, 2014 6:30 AM
  • See this link for more info on making a backup before hard reset: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/back-up-my-stuff
    Monday, March 03, 2014 4:57 PM
  • I was asking ab ut the restore but I'm fine now. But have one more question.. which I think is the worst feature of Lumia series. The question is.. Can the games/apps be downloaded or saved in the memory card? Some of the games are above 1 GB. How can I save them on the Phone memory which is just 6 GB. 
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 12:58 PM
  • As far as I know only pictures, music, videos and Here Maps (maps, not App) can be saved to SD, but not apps, that can be installed only in internal memory. Apps can save some data to SD card.

There are rumors about the next update (Windows Phone 8.1) will allow install apps on SD card, but I don't know how accurate is this information.

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 4:59 PM
  • That is sad from Nokia. But I'm fine as of now. Thanks for your help. Appreciated...!!!!
    Thursday, March 06, 2014 3:45 AM
  • Hi All,

I found a most simple way to refresh our gallery on wp8 or lumia phones.

- Extract your SD card from settings and then physically

- Connect your SD card to your Windows computer

- Get your setting of Windows Explorer to view hidden files

- Remove all "BBThumb" files from your SD card (search it in all folders and outside of folders)

- Remove "tmp" folder and "settings" folder from your SD card (Hidden)

- Restore your SD card and the lumia phones will detect it immediately

- DONE

Its done for me on my Nokia Lumia 620 (just updated to Black edition)

Please inform me if this way helps you or not.

Thank's

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:29 AM
  • Is that worked for you?

I tried that and its not working me dude.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:25 AM
  • Tried this and its solved the problem. Thanks for solving a problem Microsoft couldn't care less about.
    Monday, April 21, 2014 2:16 PM