Picture taken date missing

Question

•  

Hello

Windows Vista 32bit Ultimate (German):

Sometimes the EXIF-data "date picture taken" (in German "Aufnahmedatum") is empty in Windows Explorer.

Escpecially if I edit the JPG-Image with PaintShopPro 11 and save it, the date will be empty in explorer view, but still exists in EXIF-Tags. If I transfer this Picture to another PC with Windows XP, the "date picture taken" still exists. Also if I open the picture with other Programms, the date is ok. Just in explorer its empty.

Maybe in Windows Vista Explorer there is shown a wrong EXIF-Tag ????

Best regards

Friday, February 02, 2007 9:46 PM

All replies

• The option can be activated using the advances settings in the rt.click menu
    Friday, February 09, 2007 8:03 AM
  • Hi

What do you mean ?

I have activated the "date picture taken" of course and the column IS visible but there is NO "date picture taken" in some rows.

But If I open the Picture with PSP there IS a "date picture taken"

Best regards

Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:11 PM
  • I have that problem too. No Date Taken info for any files from the internet? I tried sorting by date etc, but if you haven't got the date info' in the first place it's hard to know what to do?
    Monday, May 21, 2007 2:07 PM
  • Can you send us the photo so that we can analyze why the Date/Time is not showing up?
    Monday, June 11, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Same problem, I copied over my picture files from XP to a thumb drive to my Vista PC...and the Date taken does not appear.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:52 PM
  • Your files have to reside on an NTFS drive for this to work. XP puts stuff in a cache (resource fork) of the FS.

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:12 AM
  • I am also observing this problem in Vista Ultimate...Windows Photo Gallery shows a date for the picture, but there is no date showing in windows explorer....and the date shown in Photo Gallery does not match any of the dates on the file.  Do you want another sample file?  Where do you want it sent?

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:56 AM
  •  

Please send the photos (please no offensive material or material that is copyrighted) with these issues to me: robertwl@removethis.microsoft.com. We'll investigate the problems with these images and determine if we can fix this in future releases.

There have been situations where certain digital cameras will write the date created stamp incorrectly hence this property cannot be read from EXIF. So, with the images we'll be able to determine if this was the case or if is a different problem.

Saturday, September 29, 2007 10:39 PM
  • I too have a new Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop running Vista Home Edition.  Copied photos from Windows98se machine onto a cd-rw and copied onto my laptop.  About 2k photos.  Roughly 100 photo's lost the date taken, though it shows when I open the folder for the cd-rw on the laptop.  Seems as though its just not copying over.  These photos were not edited at anytime.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:16 PM
  • I have a Dell desktop running Vista Ultimate.  It has displayed this same problem since I purchased it in February.  It's one of the many frustrations I have experienced with Vista.  The problem occurs not only with pictures but with shortcuts you create for picture files - those too have missing dates.  The dates are there within the files, because if you right-click on one and check the properties, the dates are present; this simply don't display.  When I look at my picture folders that contain thousands of images I have taken, only a few, seemingly random ones display date information.  Microsoft, where are you on this??
    Friday, October 26, 2007 12:18 PM
  •  

Actually, having looked at my pictures in more detail, I did finally notice that the pictures in question did not have any date taken in the meta data in the file and that the data shown in Photo Gallery for the "date taken" was actually the modificaiton date on the file itself.  Somehow when I looked at this the first time I mistakenly thought they did not match.

I can understand why WPG uses the file date if there is no date present in the picture itself, but it would be good if this fact could be easliy observed by flagging it in some way when dispalyed by WPG.

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Robert,

I'm not sure if my situation is the same as others but if I explain it may help your investigations because the "taken date" vanishing is a problem for me too. I've done a bit of my own research with this and it may not be completely an XP / Vista issue: image editing software appears to play a part...

When I take a photo and put it onto my HDD the EXIF meta "Picture taken date" shows.
    If I edit the image with Photoshop and do not change the file extn, the EXIF meta shown in file-explorer stays intact. If I work on the image and save it as a png, edit it some more then convert it back to a jpg the EXIF meta disappears from windows file-explorer view but it is still readable in Photoshop's file info. Furthermore, if I do any edits in Fireworks or MS Photoed the EXIF meta vanishes from view in windows file explorer but is still readable in Photoshop's file info.

hope this helps your quest to resolve this

Mel
    Monday, December 17, 2007 8:30 AM
  • Yes, I'm also having the same problem.  I have been transferring .avi files from my Canon SD800 over to my Vista Ultimate desktop computer.  Interestingly, when I'm viewing the SD card through the camera, it shows a "Date Picture Taken" column with the correct date and time.  However, when I copy the file over to the desktop, this information is missing.  There is a "Date Taken" column on the desktop, but this is blank.  And there isn't an option for "Date Picture Taken" for the folder on my desktop.  Any thoughts out there?
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:27 AM
  • I use MS Office Picture Manager to edit my jpg photos. The following behaviour has recently started?

• If I don't modify a picture the Date Picture Taken displays should be

• If I do modify a picture then the modified date appears and the Date Picture Taken disappears!!

• As I use the Date Picture Taken to drive mediacenter slideshows then this becomes a pain in the a**e!

Any help gratefully received. (XP Machine with NTFS partitions)

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:35 AM
  • The issue I'm having has to do with copying pictures from an XP system to a new Vista system. The "Date Taken" is correct when the date is viewed in Windows Explorer, however when I select the sort by "Date Taken" in the Windows Media Center / Picture Library it actually sorts by "Last Modified" date which is the date I copied the files. Therefore, all 6,000 pictures show up under one "Date Taken" virtual folder.

How do I fix this?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:01 AM
  • Mines the opposite... I would like to know how to stop that d@$# date taken and dimension from ever showing up in ANY explorer!  A worthless piece of bloatware added that steals cpu and now takes forever to view a folder of photos.  I right click and uncheck it, but the next folder or even the same one many times, that stoopid extra information that is not wanted or ever needed appears. 

There has to be a way to correct this, so the option to even ever view this can be permanently made to go away.  I have real photo programs to do exif data... I don't need explorer so sluggish and bloated it now takes 3 minutes to open a folder with only 10 or 20 thousand photos in it.    When it this garbage is turned off, I can view the thumbnails within a few seconds... when it is on... might as well load them all into photoshop as that shows the full photos faster than explorer thumbnails...
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:33 AM
  • I got around that empty "Date picture taken" problem by customizing the folder to use the template as "All Items" in the folder's properties window. The folder now shows "Date modified" instead. Not quite the same, but works for my pictures/videos.

Friday, March 05, 2010 11:44 PM