none
Is the store breaking my app?

Question

• Hi,

I have built an app for WP8 which connects to a printer over HTTPS - getting the SSL certificates/handshake working was a real headache, but I have eventually got it working.

I've submitted a beta version of the app to the store to get it out to some testers, but when I download the app to my test device, the SSL handshake is failing.

To test this, I've deployed the release build directly to the same device from VS and it works just fine. This is the exact same build I submitted to the store, but when I download from the store, it doesn't work. Is something happening during the submission/publishing process that would break this?

Thanks,

Olly

Friday, November 15, 2013 12:11 PM

Answers

• I've found the issue.

The app is also using RSA certificates for encryption - these are stored in the install directory and when trying to read these it was throwing an access denied exception in the production build from the store (but not when deployed directly).

Bizarrely, I was able to copy the certificates from the install directory to isolated storage on the first run of the app (not sure why this didn't throw an exception), then read them from there.

• Marked as answer by Mubaloo Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hello again, further to this I've discovered this is not related to SSL - the device won't connect to the printer at all (even over HTTP) when downloaded from the store, but the same .xap is working fine when deployed from my PC.

Tech support have suggested it may be due to the app performing actions which are not allowed in a production environment. Can anyone give me an idea of what actions are not allowed or why my .xap would work when deployed directly, but not from the store?

Many thanks,

Olly

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:23 PM
  • I would double check the app permissions in the manifest.  the debugging does not always enforce the permissions as a app coming from the store
    Monday, November 18, 2013 11:06 PM
  • Thanks Ken - I assume you mean the Capabilities in the manifest? If so, then all necessary capabilities are checked.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:54 AM
  • I've found the issue.

The app is also using RSA certificates for encryption - these are stored in the install directory and when trying to read these it was throwing an access denied exception in the production build from the store (but not when deployed directly).

Bizarrely, I was able to copy the certificates from the install directory to isolated storage on the first run of the app (not sure why this didn't throw an exception), then read them from there.

• Marked as answer by Mubaloo Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:36 PM