none
Extract XML from forms authenticated website

Question

• Hi,

I'd like to be able to use data contained within a third party XML document within my application and am looking for the best way to do this. The XML document is published on a secure web site. In order to retrieve it I can manually go to the site, enter my username and password and if authenticated I see the XML document. The document has about 200 nodes each containing about 7 children. It's contents could change on a daily basis. The web site uses forms authentication. I may need to reference the data over 300 times in any one day.

I've considered a number of ways to use this in my app but am also open to other suggestions:

1. Contact the web site directly from my app each time I need to reference the XML data.
    2. Write an automation script to obtain the XML data every day at a pre-set time and store the document for consumption by my app.
    3. Write an automation script to obtain the XML data every day at a pre-set time and store (via SSIS) the converted document in a database for consumption by my app.
    4. Write an automation script to obtain the XML data every day at a pre-set time and store (via script) the converted document in a database for consumption by my app

I think I currently favour option 3 but would welcome feedback.

Friday, December 20, 2013 11:30 AM

Answers

• Hello,

>>It's contents could change on a daily basis

From my understanding, I think we are best to know how many times its context will change on a daily basis.

If it just changes one or serval times, I think option 2, 3, 4 are ok and for security feature, 3 is better.

If it changes frequently, I think it is better to use ways like option 1 so that we can get the newest data.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by renMike Monday, December 23, 2013 3:39 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hello,

>>It's contents could change on a daily basis

From my understanding, I think we are best to know how many times its context will change on a daily basis.

If it just changes one or serval times, I think option 2, 3, 4 are ok and for security feature, 3 is better.

If it changes frequently, I think it is better to use ways like option 1 so that we can get the newest data.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by renMike Monday, December 23, 2013 3:39 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 5:33 AM
  • It could change on a daily basis but it more typically changes once a month, so not very frequently.

If 3 is the recommended approach then I'll investigate that method further.

Thanks

Monday, December 23, 2013 8:03 AM