none
How can we restart single database not the SQL services in sql server 2012

Question

• Hi all,

How can we restart single database  not the SQL services in sql server 2012

Monday, September 23, 2013 11:30 PM

Answers

• In Windows, you do not "restart" a database, you restart a service.   Since SQL Server is only one service for all databases, you cannot restart a database.

Restarting a "database" is an Oracle term.  In Oracle each "database" has its own service.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far i know there is nothing called as database restart. You can take database online and offline if necessary or may be you are getting confused with the Restore process/ Restore Options where you can keep the database state as required prior to restore. More details in this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177429.aspx

Thanks,

Bhanu

Monday, September 23, 2013 11:54 PM
  • I have not heard a term "database restart"? Could you explain what you are looking for and someone could suggest a (alternate)solution  

Satheesh
    My Blog

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:03 AM
  • What do you mean by restart? You can rebuild /reorg indexes on all indexes in the database,  you can also  UPDATE STATISTICS .... 

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Hi all,

Hello,

Unless SQl server service is started user databses cannot start.When SQL server starts it first starts master database which has information about all user database and after master DB is online other user databases will be started.

Hope this answers your query ,if not ,please revert with more clear question

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:19 AM
  • Hi all,

You can Refresh the Database ,

Right-click on Database - > Refresh

sathya - www.allaboutmssql.com ** Mark as answered if my post solved your problem and Vote as helpful if my post was useful **.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:12 PM
  • In Windows, you do not "restart" a database, you restart a service.   Since SQL Server is only one service for all databases, you cannot restart a database.

Restarting a "database" is an Oracle term.  In Oracle each "database" has its own service.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Hi BomaSri,

From the description and communication with each other, I understand that you want to restart the Database Engine. If so, we can use SQL Server Configuration Manager to restart the service.

For the detailed information, please refer to the link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh403394.aspx

Regards,

Heidi Duan

Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:45 PM