Sideshow and Media Center

Question

•  

Good Morning,

I would like to develop a SideShow gadget to control my Media Center (Vista media center) and affich on the gadget the infoamtions (example: music title, artist ....)

But my problem is what i don't know how to send informations from the media center to the sideshow and control the media center. Can i use the gadget like a virtual keyboard.

Thank you for your help.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french.

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:49 AM

Answers

• My only suggestion is to search on MSDN for the APIs for Media Center, or possibly MSAS.  Those might provide what you need.

Dan

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Microsoft is working on a set of gadgets for Windows Media Center which will enable access to TV guide information, recoreded TV, music, and pictures.  We do not yet have a firm release date for these, however.

If you'd like to do this yourself, then the documentation on gadgets is in the Windows SDK.  You'll want to use the Simple Content Format to send data from the gadget to the device, and then use Application Events to receive data from the gadget (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms744205.aspx for more information).  Typically, the gadget will either be integrated into a product or use some APIs exposed by the product in order to control it; in your case, I would look for APIs to control media center (I am not sure what is available).

Dan

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:07 AM
  •  

Thank you for your answer.

I know that i can use the SCF and Application Event.

In fact I create a remote control with a screen, so a device to control and affich the information. But my problem is the output from the Media Center to the gadget to send the informations (music title, artist, ...). 

Monday, April 23, 2007 9:05 AM
  • My only suggestion is to search on MSDN for the APIs for Media Center, or possibly MSAS.  Those might provide what you need.

Dan

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:35 PM
  • Any news on these Media Center sideshow gadgets?
    Monday, June 11, 2007 8:07 PM
  •  

I found this website :  http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/archive/2007/05/14/2632164.aspx

I think it's good method to communicate between the Media Center and the code (gadget) on Vista and after to send the information to the Gadget.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:15 AM
  • I have just taken delivery of one of Ricavision's reference design sideshow remotes and would love to be able to get it up to it's full potential in controlling media center. I have emailed them as I assume they have access to these gadgets, but I was wondering if you might be able to furnish me with something to test for you guys faster than they can. I am happy to give you full and complete beta feedback and also to test anything you would like to on their platform. I really would appreciate anything you can do to make this very cool product even better.

Thanks in advance
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:16 PM