none
Is the new Media Foundation a replacement of Direct Show?

Question

• They seem to perform the same task too me. Is Media Foundation supposed to replace Direct Show?
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:34 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

You're correct that DirectShow and Media Foundation are similar; both of them are platforms for running multimedia presentations.

As for whether Media Foundation is a replacement for DirectShow...

As of Media Foundation v1 (i.e. the flagship version of Media Foundation that will ship with Windows Vista), if you're doing something like multimedia playback, you'll notice that working with the Media Foundation requires you to work at a slightly lower level than working with DirectShow would have.  And there are still DirectShow features that aren't (yet) in Media Foundation. 

On the other hand, Media Foundation has a couple features that DirectShow did not.  The playback experience should be better (fewer glitches), and it also has much more robust support for content protection systems.

Media Foundation is definitely the later-and-greater of the two; expect that future releases will add more features to it, rather than DirectShow.  So if you're trying to write a multimedia application, I'd suggest trying first to see if you can do it with Media Foundation.

Good luck!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 11:08 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

You're correct that DirectShow and Media Foundation are similar; both of them are platforms for running multimedia presentations.

As for whether Media Foundation is a replacement for DirectShow...

As of Media Foundation v1 (i.e. the flagship version of Media Foundation that will ship with Windows Vista), if you're doing something like multimedia playback, you'll notice that working with the Media Foundation requires you to work at a slightly lower level than working with DirectShow would have.  And there are still DirectShow features that aren't (yet) in Media Foundation. 

On the other hand, Media Foundation has a couple features that DirectShow did not.  The playback experience should be better (fewer glitches), and it also has much more robust support for content protection systems.

Media Foundation is definitely the later-and-greater of the two; expect that future releases will add more features to it, rather than DirectShow.  So if you're trying to write a multimedia application, I'd suggest trying first to see if you can do it with Media Foundation.

Good luck!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 11:08 PM
  • Hi John,

Adding to what Becky has said above, we will soon be publishing a whitepaper that talks about the migration story from DShow to Media Foundation. This whitepaper will most likely be posted up on the MSDN website. I will make an announcement on this forum when this is done.

Thanks,
    Prakash Channagiri

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:37 PM
  • Thank you both for your answers! I'm looking forward to read the whitepaper, Prakash. I will monitor the MSDN RSS feed, since I assume it will show up there as well.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 2:13 AM