none
Memory related Issue

Question

• Hello Friends,

In My Environment we configured active/passive clustering(ex;Node1,Node2) when The failover occurs the Node1 consuming 62GB Ram  and Node2 Taking 4 GB Ram ,we were set Max server Memory For Node1 is 57GB and also For Node2 57GB.

Can anybody explain Me why it is consuming More Memory?

Server Hardware:65GB Ram,windowsserver2008r2 64Bit

Sqlserver:Enterpriseedition,64Bit

Thanks&Regards

Anji

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:56 AM

All replies

• How long has your server been running after it failed over?  SQL Server will not immediately claim 57GB RAM (as per your sp_configure setting)...  it will gradually use more and more RAM as it pulls data from disk into memory.  This is done as more queries are executed.

Therefore immediately after a failover you will find that the RAM usage is very small but over time, as queries are run, you will find that your RAM usage should increase on Node2 until it hits the sp_configure maximum.

Monday, August 19, 2013 11:14 AM
  • Hello Friends,

In My Environment we configured active/passive clustering(ex;Node1,Node2) when The failover occurs the Node1 consuming 62GB Ram  and Node2 Taking 4 GB Ram ,we were set Max server Memory For Node1 is 57GB and also For Node2 57GB.

Server Hardware:65GB Ram,windowsserver2008r2 64Bit

Sqlserver:Enterpriseedition,64Bit

Thanks&Regards

Anji

Hello Reddy,

When failover happens all Inflight transaction are rolled back as SQL server restarts/goes through recovery on node 2 to bring itself online.In node 1 i assume your were running some mem intensive transaction so mem was utilized now when you failed over that transaction rolled back and memory was released so its just taking 4 G.But it will take more mem in due course of time when transaction start coming

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, August 19, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Hello ,

Please dont post duplicate posts..If by mistake you do please remove it.It wont give you double solution.

Please take care from next time

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/a332424f-e83a-4502-9215-4d92212dd4fa/sql-server-memory-related-issue

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Hello,

No one actually hit on your question which was:

There are a vast number of reasons. In SQL Server 2005->2008R2 things such as CLR, extended stored procedures, linked servers, etc, all used memory outside of the buffer pool. Since the 'Max Server Memory' setting only counted toward the buffer pool, you have the extra memory used.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Monday, August 19, 2013 8:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Reddyrock,

I am sorry but your question is little confusing. Firstly, max server memory is on instance's level not node level.

Secondly, can you please confirm that memory is taken up by SQLServr.exe only on node1?

Also, been 64 bit and not SQL Server 2012 but still Can you please verify if Lock Pages In Memory permission to SQL Server Service account on both the nodes? (this is still been argued that we need LPIM on 64 or not but it is good to have.)

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful, if a post was useful to help other user's find a solution quicker.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:21 PM