Add/Remove Programs in Windows Vista

Question

• Add/Remove Programs in Windows Vista

So you say you can't find the Add/Remove programs function in Windows Vista?  Well, in Windows XP Add/Remove Programs is in Control Panel under an icon of the same name. But in Windows Vista it has been changed to "Programs and Features".

To locate the Program and Features function:

1. Click Start and choose Control Panel,

2. In Control Panel double click on the "Programs and Features" icon.

3. Here you can find all the programs and items which are installed in Windows Vista.

4. To remove any of them click once on the program you want to uninstall and then click on Uninstall/Change and follow the prompts.

Now wasn't that easy!

Friday, February 16, 2007 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As you wrote Vista has "Programs and Features" and you really can Uninstall or Change a program that already installed.

Other question is: Is there any option to Add program? (as it was in previous versions)

Thanks in advance,

David.

• Proposed as answer by LaurindaLara Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:29 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:47 PM
  • What happened to Add/Remove Windows Components?
    • Proposed as answer by E DONERVITCH Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:20 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2007 10:24 AM
  • Try "Turn Windows features on or off"
    Monday, April 16, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Thanks Josh! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Hi, you have helpful tips.

I have a problem situation.  I'm trying to upgrade my OS from MS XP home edition to MS Vista Ultimate after confirming that I have more than the minimum requirements to do the upgrade.  I have already upgraded with the data/programs in another folder called Windows.old.  My problem is

how to configure the Windows Vista Ultimate so that all the application programs before the upgrade must be configured to run and function properly in Vista as at present, with Vista all those programs are not configured to run in Vista.

Hope to receive a response from you soon.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:09 AM
  • Thats all fine and good if windows lets you delete, or uninstall a program. What do you do when you are the only user, have administrative rights, and windows not only will not let you uninstall a program, but tells you you don't have the rights to make these changes?

Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:39 AM
  • thanks a lot for the helpful tips josh, it really helps me a lot

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:14 AM
  •  depiculous wrote:
    What happened to Add/Remove Windows Components?

How do you add a program from a cd that does not pop up when you place it in the drive. This new Windows vista is hard to use in many areas. Thank You in advance

• Proposed as answer by LaurindaLara Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:31 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:45 AM
  • Yes that was very easy.  I knew it was just a matter of finding where they hid it.

Thank you.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:24 AM
  •  

Hii Thanx I Was Tottalyy Felling Angry when i was not finding the correct option its working

Thanx

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:24 PM
  • I am having a problem trying to find where Microsoft hid some of the features, like windows mail mail and all the other windows programs I dont want installed on my PC. I have tried change/remove and turn windows features on or off. Do I just delete them from the start menu or what?
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:44 PM
  • OMG thank you so much!

you save my life!! Hehe!!

Now, if you are very good you must know this,

Why can't I play AVI video on my PC? and if you do know, how can I make it work?

I've been trying to do everything anything to make it work but it still dosn't work. Please help.... :-(

Kasi

Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Thank you

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Thanks Joshi.

This is what I was lookin for.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:16 AM
  • Hi,

I have ,net frameword 3.0 , 2.0 installed on windows vista.

But I can not see it in Progream and Features list.

Do you any idea where or how can I see it?

(One way I already know to go to c:/Windows/Microft.Net/Frameork

but not sure if that will confirm the proper installation)

Thanks in advance

Apoorv

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Joshi,

Your instructions for removing programs from a Windows Vista computer were very clear and easy.  The only problem is that the program I want to uninstall does not show up in the list of programs.  How do I find it and remove it?

Thanks,

Trishsz

• Proposed as answer by ambrown1 Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:30 PM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Thanks buddy, that was great! I have a MAC myself and run XP at work, so I'm just not very familiar with Vista. Gracias!

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Hi,
         I am new to this forum and have the same problem that Trishsz has.  I want to uninstall my Windows Media Player version 11 , and replace it with version 10.  When I try to remove it from add/remove in Programs and Features, Media Player does not show up on the list, even though I definitely have it installed, and it works.   Could you give me some suggestions as to how to find/remove it, so that I can then download version 10, without conflicts?  Thank you!   - Brian
    Friday, December 05, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I have the same issue with trying to uninstall "Beyond the Red Line" .  It's an enormous file (753MB) and I could really use the space, but when I try to Uninstall it says the No Permission , need Admin rights!
    So I found this site microsoft has and it should help, if I could figure out how to use the info...I'll check back in to write how i either dunnit or failed

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/95d4ed9a-1d7d-4b62-84e0-649fc98069f51033.mspx
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:15 PM
  • why do you want to upgrade?
    what is it costing you?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:43 PM
  • I have the same problem. Anyone any idea on this?.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Yes it was easy many thanks.

BattleofBritianBaby

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:02 AM