Unable to Create the SSRS Service Application in SharePoint CA

Question

• I am trying to set up SSRS, PowerPivot, SharePoint, etc. on a single VM.  I have everything loaded and running except that I can't create the SSRS Service Application in Central Administration.  I have seen all kinds of checklists and step-by-step instructions and I believe I have followed them.  When I try to create a Power View report, I get the error that SSRS is not set up.  In CA, there is no SSRS Service Application (the SSRS service is running on the server however).

When I attempt to create the service, the message I get is this:

Key not valid for use in specified state. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8009000B)

Based on my research, this looks like a problem with the SSRS key used to encrypt information in the database.  But I haven't created the database yet.  That's one of the things that is supposed to be happening!

Please Help, Thanks,

Steve Wright

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:44 PM

All replies

• Thanks, but I have followed all of those procedures and it still won't create the SSRS service application.  I completely removed SharePoint and SQL 2012 RC0.  I downloaded the RTM bits yesterday and used those when I reinstalled.  I ran into the exact same problem!

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,
    Steve

Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Using ULSViewer, I was able to get this stack trace for the problem.  Hopefully, it will help.

Unexpected error occurred when creating Reporting Service Application My RS Service App: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8009000B): Key not valid for use in specified state. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8009000B)   
     at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)   
     at RSManagedCrypto.RSCrypto.CreateSymmetricKey()   
     at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.KeyTransform.Generate()   
     at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.ReportingWebServiceApplication.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GenerateEncryptionKey>b__1()   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2()   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)   
     at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.ReportingWebServiceApplication.GenerateEncryptionKey(ReportingWebServiceApplication serviceApp)   
     at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.ReportingWebServiceApplication..ctor(String name, ReportingWebService service, SPIisWebServiceApplicationPool applicationPool, ReportingServiceDatabase catalogDatabase, ReportingServiceTempDatabase tempDatabase, ReportingServiceAlertingDatabase alertingDatabase)   
     at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.ReportingWebServiceApplication.Create(String name, ReportingWebService service, SPIisWebServiceApplicationPool applicationPool, ReportingServiceDatabase catalogDatabase, ReportingServiceTempDatabase tempDatabase, ReportingServiceAlertingDatabase alertingDatabase, RSAccountCredentials unattendedExecAccount, RSAccountCredentials windowsDatabaseCredentials)   
     at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.SharedService.Service.ReportServiceAppSettingsManager.ApplySettings()   
     at Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.PowerShell.NewReportingServiceApplication.CreateDataObject().

Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Can you check what are the permissions of the account you specified for the application pool when you tried to create the Shared Service Application, also try with a different account.

Thanks

Jaime -  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jtarquino/

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, March 09, 2012 7:18 PM
  • I used the domain administrator account.  (This isn't a production server, obviously.)

Thanks,
    Steve

Friday, March 09, 2012 8:59 PM
  • What kind of admin? Farm Admin? Local Box Admin?

Can you give a shot to another account

Thanks

Jaime - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jtarquino/

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, March 09, 2012 9:08 PM