none
Windows 7 Bootable USB stick

Answers

• This worked fine for me (Taken from Sean Limings book: Professional's Guide to Windows Embedded Standard 7, chapter 6 Ex604):

1. Open up a command promt (cmd.exe or you can press shift F10 in the Windows installation startup)
    2. Run: diskpart
    3. Type: list disk
    4. Plug in you usb stick
    5. Type list disk (in this way you know which number the usb stick has)
    6. Type the following commands:
       Select disk <USB stick disk number from above>
       Clean
       Create part pri
       Select part 1
       Active
       Format quick fs=ntfs
       Assign
       Exit
    7. Move the USB stick to you Dev PC (if not already there)
    8. Open ICE
    9. Make a new image and when ready do Create Media -> Create IBW Image From Answer File...
    10. Copy the content of this folder to you USB stick (By using Explorer or cmd.exe)
    11. Move the USB stick to you WES PC target hardware
    12. To boot your WES target PC, restart it, then press the boot key (example F11 on an MSi PC)
    13. In the boot menu select to boot from USB.
    14. Windows Embedded will now be installed from the USB stick

/Johan D

• Marked as answer by Scott_3 Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:46 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 2:50 PM
  • As long as you format the drive under vista/7 and your stick is marked as active and bootmgr is stored on the drive, you should at least see some messages from the bootmanager. - there are some usb sticks which aren't bootable. - but you already said that you're tested some other drives. -  what a board you're using? Is USB Support active/enabled/supported? Do you use the right boot-sequence?

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    • Marked as answer by Scott_3 Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:56 PM

All replies

• Seems pretty accurate to me.

Can you boot OTHER OS's off this same device? (i.e. confirming your BIOS is working properly)?

mike

Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:19 PM
  • whats the make and model of pen drive you are using?

have you tried any different pen drives ?

failing any of the above

have you tried creating a winpe to boot off the pen drive

http://www.avnet-embedded.eu/ MCTS WES2009 MCTS WES7
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.  I will not be able to get back to this until tomorrow.  Will get back then.

Scott

Monday, June 13, 2011 1:03 PM
  • This worked fine for me (Taken from Sean Limings book: Professional's Guide to Windows Embedded Standard 7, chapter 6 Ex604):

1. Open up a command promt (cmd.exe or you can press shift F10 in the Windows installation startup)
    2. Run: diskpart
    3. Type: list disk
    4. Plug in you usb stick
    5. Type list disk (in this way you know which number the usb stick has)
    6. Type the following commands:
       Select disk <USB stick disk number from above>
       Clean
       Create part pri
       Select part 1
       Active
       Format quick fs=ntfs
       Assign
       Exit
    7. Move the USB stick to you Dev PC (if not already there)
    8. Open ICE
    9. Make a new image and when ready do Create Media -> Create IBW Image From Answer File...
    10. Copy the content of this folder to you USB stick (By using Explorer or cmd.exe)
    11. Move the USB stick to you WES PC target hardware
    12. To boot your WES target PC, restart it, then press the boot key (example F11 on an MSi PC)
    13. In the boot menu select to boot from USB.
    14. Windows Embedded will now be installed from the USB stick

/Johan D

• Marked as answer by Scott_3 Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:46 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Ok.  Still no luck.  I have tried on more than one usb stick.  I have also booted the target device from a CD-Rom to prove the BIOS is working properly.  Steps 1 - 7 are straight forward.  I am new to Windows Embedded 7 in general and ICE.  But, 8-14 seem fairly straight forward as well.  I am not quite sure what to look at.   ICE is a trial version. Hopefully that is not an issue.  For the ICE portion above, I do the following. 

1) I start ICE.  I have the distribution share pointing here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Embedded Standard 7\DSSP1.

2) I right click to create a new answer file.  I Validate -> Validate Only, then I resolve the dependencies.  I then save the answer file.  I can post that if it helps.

3) I then choose Tools -> Create Media -> Create IBW Image from Answer File..." and chose a folder to write that to.  After the process, the image folder I created, has the following in it:

AUTORUN.INF
    AutoUnattend.xml
    AutoUnattend_Files
    BOOT
    BOOTMGR
    EFI
    RELEASE NOTES.HTM
    SETUP.EXE
    sources
    SUPPORT
    UPGRADE

4) I copy that to the root of the USB stick.

5) I go to my target device.  I try to boot to the stick.  I am told "Disk Boot Failure.  Insert system disc and press enter"

So, it seems that I can not boot from the stick.  In the past, I have had Windows XP installed on the target device, and, know that I can see the USB port.  So, I do not believe that is the problem.  Maybe someone sees a problem with what I have done?  Any ideas on how to trouble shoot?

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:46 PM
  • As long as you format the drive under vista/7 and your stick is marked as active and bootmgr is stored on the drive, you should at least see some messages from the bootmanager. - there are some usb sticks which aren't bootable. - but you already said that you're tested some other drives. -  what a board you're using? Is USB Support active/enabled/supported? Do you use the right boot-sequence?

• Marked as answer by Scott_3 Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:56 PM
  • I am beginning to think the BIOS on the target I am going after doesn't support booting from USB stick.  I tried doing this to the stick:

bootsect /nt60 i: 

But, that does not seem to help either.  I suppose I can back off and boot to USB - DVD / CD, but, I would rather boot from a USB stick.  I suppose this is really a question to the BIOS creator.  Any other ideas appreciated.

Scott

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Correct, I have tried two sticks so far.  The board is a sbc86831: http://axiomtek.com/Download/Spec/sbc86831.pdf.  As you allude to, I have seen no error messages coming from the bootmanager.

Scott

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Thanks for all the reponses.  It turns out, I was not actually changing the boot sequence in the BIOS :///  All the other answers helped eliminate me setting the stick up wrong.

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:46 PM
  • hehe, therefore i wrote about the boot sequence ;)

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:51 PM