none
Workflow - Collect Data from a User, then email a link directly to the custom form.

Question

• Hello all, I am creating a custom workflow for a purchase request approval system. There are 2 steps of approval needed, one from the manager and one from finance. Basically the flow is as follows:

1) A staff member submits a purchase requisition with all the appropriate information.

2) The requisition is submitted to their manager for approval/rejection.

3) If the requsition is approved then the finance department recieves the form, otherwise the staff member is noitified of the rejection.

4) THe finance department then approves or rejects the request. etc etc.

At steps 2 and 4 I am using the "Collect data from user" action to collect the approval or rejection decisions from the managers and the finance department. This works great, except that I would like to email them with a link directly to the custom form for that requisition so that it is as simple as possible to understand. (Not everyone understands, go to your tasks and open the desired task and then click edit, select whether your approve/reject etc). My problem is that it is seemingly impossible to pull the task id from the task created by the "Collect data from user" action until after the task is complete and the workflow has become unpaused. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Thanks!

C
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:50 PM

Answers

• How about running a secondary workflow on newly created tasks to send the notification?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:50 AM

All replies

• How about running a secondary workflow on newly created tasks to send the notification?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:50 AM
  • Thanks! Sometimes the answer is staring your right in the face!
    Monday, February 04, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Hi  Squeezebox

I'm trying to do a similar thing, but would like to put these two data in one window

• Approve / Reject window .aspx
    • DispForm.aspx of the original item

So the user does not need to switch between two windows when approving an item

any ideas?

Friday, February 29, 2008 3:41 PM
  • The only way I could see you getting that to work is to download/install Windows SharePoint Designer 2007, open the two pages and merge them together somehow. However you would run into problems with that when trying to submit the data to sharepoint. However, why not just add all the fields required to approve/reject an item to one step in the workflow, this will create a custom form with all of your fields. Do you have certain form items that only need to be filled in dependant on whether the approver approves or rejects the item?

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:05 PM
  • I got Designer installed. I tried to use Data view web part, however like you said above ID of the Task can not be pulled until the Task is completed.

Scenario:
    1. User submits a custom form
    2. Approved/Rejected by Admin 1
    • if Approved by Admin 1
    1. Approved/Rejected by Admin 2
    Saturday, March 01, 2008 4:14 PM
  • I am facing an issue on simple workflow. In the Sharepoint Desginer I am using collect data from user where it creates a new form with the drop down values , based on the drop downvalue i need to do other steps/action. but for some reason the it does allow me go further of collect data from user. I am not writing any code rather i just use the sharepoint desinger.
    I am going mad
     Thanks,

Monday, March 03, 2008 11:32 PM
  • hey C

You can using this activity called

Microsoft.Sharepoint.WorkflowActions.SendMail.

Otherwise,

in the same create task method, send email manuallly using System.Net or SPUtilities class.

otherwise,

enable notification in your task list. This automatically sends out email to the assigned to person with a list to the task item. This is little slower, i don't know why.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

SnJY

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 8:48 PM
  •  Squeezebox wrote:
    However, why not just add all the fields required to approve/reject an item to one step in the workflow, this will create a custom form with all of your fields. Do you have certain form items that only need to be filled in dependant on whether the approver approves or rejects the item?

hi is it possible to explain abit more, sorry i did not get it.

At the minute the user has to click 6 times to get to the "approve page"

Thank you

Friday, March 07, 2008 10:49 AM