none
The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Question

• I am trying to post an XML through BizTalk Send Port(HTTP) to an external URL(outside the network) and I get this error

'The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.'

When I am testing internally ie: posting a message to an internal URL, there is absolutely no problem. I am able to send as well as receive the synchronous response.

When I am posting to external URL, it needs authentication, so I am passing the User Id and Password and selecing 'Basic authentication'

But I am not sure what kind of authentication the external URL is expecting..

In case I don't supply the 'UserName' and 'Password', I get '401-Unauthorized exception'; If I supply them, I get '500 Internal server error'    Not able to pinpoint what exactly is the cause of the problem..   Appreciate any help/suggestions... Thanks!

Saturday, June 05, 2010 2:25 AM

Answers

• Supplying SSL certificate on the thumbprint on the send port - authentication setting solved the problem. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Annee797 Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:02 PM
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to pinpoint what the exact error is 401, 404, 405 or 500 I suggest to review this blog post giving tips/hints.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers    
    MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Thanks Steef... helpful post... though I still didn't get the exact answer for my issue
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Cross Check Following........

1. Check the host instance user has access to the external URL.

2. The user you are providing for authentication is not locked out  and is active.

3. You are able to browse any test page, of the external URL.

4. You are able to ping on the External server's IP.

5. If you have access to External application try restarting the server on external URL.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Supplying SSL certificate on the thumbprint on the send port - authentication setting solved the problem. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Annee797 Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:02 PM
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:02 PM
  • I would try doing a post using a .NET class library just to test the request. This is often helpful for doing diagnostics. You can use the HttpWebRequest/HttpWebResponse classes if calling a site.

I would determine the mechanism that the URL (web service or site) expects the authentication to occur. If it is a web service they may be expecting HTTP headers or SOAP headers instead. It is possible the URL is not setup to accept basic authentication and is failing. It is also possible they are expecting a different type of authentication like client certificates, etc. so you need to know the expected authentication mechanism for the URL.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Thanks for the response... Got the solution for my problem... pls check above...
    Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:11 PM