Unhandled win32 exception

Question

• Since I installed (all) Visual Studio Express 2005 modules, I have been getting "An unhandled win32 exception...No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled." form Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and newly installed games.  Reviewing everything I could in the Microsoft search list, I find that the debugger is not available for the Express edition.

In desperation, I unintstalled all modules of Visual Studio Express 2005, VB, VC++, VC#, J#, SQL Server...ASP.NET 2.0

I am still getting the errors.  I checked and found many references to Visual Studio still in the registry.

Any thoughts?

Monday, September 11, 2006 1:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• I did the exact same thing as you and now suffer from the exact same problem.  I can't even work because I am constantly dealing with pop-up errors.  PLEASE if someone outo there knows how to fix this, it is critical.

This type of nonsense makes me want to find something besides Microsoft!

Saturday, October 07, 2006 7:55 PM
  • I've browsed around the forums to find similar issues and ran across a thread you might want to take a look at:

https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=274145&SiteID=1&PageID=0

Also try the following website:

http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5hs4b7a6.aspx 

Let me know if the suggestions listed there help to stop this problem.  If not, I will look into the next steps.

Thanks!

Monday, October 09, 2006 5:21 PM
  • Hello,

Recently i have upgraded from IE6.0 to IE7. Since then i am getting a message

an unhandled win32 exception occurred in iexplore.exe [416] and asking me to launch a debugger. This is really annoying me and i am getting it for every 10minutes. When i click 'No' its clsoing the explorer and all the tabs in it. Thi is really annoying me and i stopped using IE and shifterd firefox.

Did anybody face this problem? I ran 'sfc /scannow' and it asked for a dll and when i inserted the Windows XP OS cd it copied that dll. Still i am getting the same error.

Is there a solution to this problem? Or do i have to simply use firefox and forget about internet explorer?

Thanks,

Raja 

Saturday, December 16, 2006 5:14 PM
  • Using your first URL I found the last reply to be the answer.  I reinstalled Dr Watson.  Problem went away.
    Monday, January 01, 2007 7:45 PM
  • I upgraded to IE7 and every time I close the IE7 browser window (even popups) I get the "an unhandled win32 exception occurred in iexplore.exe" and when I click the message I lose ALL browser windows (i need to fire up IE7 again) and waist time finding the sites that were in the other windows.

Ideas?

Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:21 AM
  • Hi jgc,i have also the Problem with permanent exception when closing IE7. I didn't install any debug tools or development tools, just plain XP with upgrade to IE7. You wrote you reinstalled DRWatson. How did you do that? I would like to try this, because i found no other means to solve this problem.(except to switch to Firefox). regards Rudi
    Thursday, January 11, 2007 2:46 PM
  • I was setting up a new WinXP PC for myself and installed VS2005 and Office2007 - I still have IE6.  When accessing our Sharepoint site, I was getting the same debugger error.  I found this blog, https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/becker_michael/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=155d23b7%2Dd6e1%2D4211%2D838c%2D8ff08ca280f0&ID=10.  Basically, remove Windows Sharepoint Services Support from Office 2007 and then add it back in using Add/Remove Programs.  That solved my problem.

Hope this helps.

Friday, February 16, 2007 6:01 PM
  • This was most helpful and succinct.  Thank you.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:12 PM
  • I followed the second option and deleted
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\Debugger

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\DbgManagedDebugger

but the programs just stopped running, saying that it encountered an error. Can you help me please?

Friday, May 18, 2007 8:47 AM
  •  jgz wrote:

Since I installed (all) Visual Studio Express 2005 modules, I have been getting "An unhandled win32 exception...No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled." form Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and newly installed games.  Reviewing everything I could in the Microsoft search list, I find that the debugger is not available for the Express edition.

In desperation, I unintstalled all modules of Visual Studio Express 2005, VB, VC++, VC#, J#, SQL Server...ASP.NET 2.0

I am still getting the errors.  I checked and found many references to Visual Studio still in the registry.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:05 AM
  • Check out daw21's post on 16 Feb 2007.

That should fix the problem you're experiencing.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:24 PM
  • I tried both of your recommendations, however when I attpempt to open any documents from a SharePoint site I always receive a win32 exception iexplore.exe with various numbers.  Do you have additional recommdations?
    Friday, May 25, 2007 7:18 PM
  • I am having this same problem as you when attempting to open documents in Sharepoint.  Did you have any luck resolving your issue?
    Monday, June 11, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Hi all

If you know the solution send it.or else keep quite.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:17 AM
  • Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:48 PM
  • This solution might not be for everyone but I kept getting "unhandled win32 exception" with IE 6. This happened everytime I visited various sites or when I closed the browser. My OS is XP.

I tried updating the OS. I even cleaned the temporary internet files. Then I tried various things suggested on discussion boards. I even ran Adaware to clean the infected files. Nothing worked.

This is what worked: Unclick Yahoo Toolbar. Right click on your your browser title bar and unclick Yahoo Toolbar and IE 6 is not crashing anymore. I had previously installed Yahoo Messenger and subsequently uninstalled it but the Yahoo Toolbar stayed and it caused havoc. After I found this, I got so mad I went to control panel Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled Yahoo Toolbar.

I hope this helps someone.

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Just sharing. It may or may not work for you.

Problem Situation:

IE Version 6

has a  Yahoo Toolbar installed

Problem: Upon clicking on a new tab in Yahoo toolbar, an error occured: an unhandled win32 exception error occured in iexplore .exe [4464]

Solution:

Uninstall the Yahoo Tool bar in the Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs

Close all IE Browsers

Refresh

Install Yahoo toolbar 

Result: Error did not occur again

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:03 PM
  • HI all,

I was having the prob of VSJIT  win 32 IEXPLORE.EXE error n at last  i got the solution for  that.

i am not sure whether it will work for all those,who r having the same prob,

but  suggest u to go thru these steps

1. go to C:\WINDOWS\system32  vsjitdebugger click the properties,

2 then click  compatibility tab ,in compatibility mode check (run this prog in compatibility mode for )....there you set ur OS).

-----No need to uninstall VS,VB,VC++,SQL SERVER----

This helped me to solve my problem...

I hope this will be useful to u also

TRy it.

Good Luck.

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

I made those changes OS type = NT (for XP) and have not seen the error now in 10 days.

Thanks so much

Mike

Friday, November 30, 2007 2:16 AM
  •  

I went to control panel and remove Yahoo Browser.... and other Yahoo things.  Only I didn't uninstall is Yahoo! Messenger.

And it solve my problem.

Hope this might help you out.

Sunday, December 09, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion.  It helps me a lot.

I went to control panel and remove Yahoo Browser.... and other Yahoo things.  Only I didn't uninstall is Yahoo! Messenger.

And it solve my problem.

Hope this might help other out.

Sunday, December 09, 2007 3:43 PM
  • I went to control panel and remove Yahoo Browser.... and other Yahoo things.  Only I didn't uninstall is Yahoo! Messenger.

And it solve my problem.

Hope this might help you out.

Sunday, December 09, 2007 3:44 PM
  • An unhandled win32 exception Just-in-time 是Visual Studio 2005的一个即时调试器,当应用程序运行时遇到问题时它便会出来对应用程序进行调试。而你在删除Visual Studio 2005时可能没有正确卸载,而该调试器程序仍常驻内存。打开注册表编辑器,将以下两键值项删除:
    (1)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\Debugger
    (2)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\DbgManagedDebugger
    如果还会出现问题,再重装一次你要的软件后,应该可以解决此问题。

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:25 AM
  • I followed the suggestion to remove the:-

(1)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\Debugger
    (2)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\DbgManagedDebugger

and now i am having problem with IE. Keep asking me to send error report. What should i do now?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:44 AM
  •  

I had the same problem.  I have Office 2003 installed however.  This is how we fixed it.

Start

Programs

Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Tools

Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics.

This application found an error and corrected it.  Sharepoint files now all open fine.

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Even we faced the Same Problem stating An unhandled win32 Exception while opening another IE window from an exisiting IE window..

Then we tried using the Process logic and it is working fine..

ex:

//Code to open the PDF File

string SharedFileName = "file:" + fi[0].FullName.Replace("\\", "/");

Process PDFfileOpenProcess = new Process();

PDFfileOpenProcess.StartInfo.FileName = SharedFileName;

PDFfileOpenProcess.Start();

But we duno whether this is an correct one..

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:43 AM
  • HI

thanks a ton..Normally it was working after renaming the profile but this time that too dint work...after that i saw your solution in the site...

Regards

vamsee

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:39 PM
  • ******WORKAROUND********:
    If all the other suggested fixes dont work for you - and they dont for most - try this:
    Rename the vsjitdebugger.exe in your system32 directory.
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem with the Just-In-Time debugger. I did something similar. I went to the Software panel and removed something called "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable". Since then I got no more error message and my IE windows did not close automatically any more...

It was just to let you all know.

Thanks for your help...

smem78

Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:19 PM
  • the yahoo toolbar post gave me an idea of what the solution could be.. i didnt have yahoo toolbar but had DebugBar toolbar (it helps me in javascript debugging) i uninstalled it and reinstalled it. n that worked for me. (Not sure about scenarios when WSS is invloved) i guess when IE upgrades happen it has some issues working with the toolbars installed in the older version. i had upgraded from IE7 to IE8. so i guess essentially the solution for this exception is uninstall your toolbars and reinstall them. Again this is when WSS/MOSS is not in picture. Cheers, Ajeesh
    Monday, May 18, 2009 5:25 AM
  • I had the same problem and after trying all sort of suggestion. The fix for me was running office diagnosis thanks all and merry xmas FT
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:02 AM
  • I had similar message the same issue today...Mar 2012.  IE would give this error message each time I closed it.  The error started after installing MS SQL 2005 Developer Edition in Win 7 Pro OS.  I uninstalled Visual Studio 2005 and the error went away immediately.  I suspect there is an issue of compatibility with VS 2005 and VS 2010, which I also have installed. 

I also suspect some of my SQL 2005 tools and features may not work right now based on some other threads I was reading.

Hope this help someone else.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:22 PM