How to in VB 2010 Express - Find Document Outline window, Build for Release

Question

• I just switched from VB 2008 Express on Windows XP to VB 2010 Express on Windows 7.
    VB 2010 converted the project I was working on in VB 2008 when I first opened it.
    I've poked around on the MSDN but haven't figured out the following.

1) How to get a Document Outline view.

Then MSDN says it should be available from the View - Other Windows (which is what I expected) list but it isn't.

2) How to create a Release build.

In VB 2008 there were two different green arrows to build and run in debug or release mode with two different folders within the project where the resulting files would be built.  In VB 2010 there is just the green arrow for build/run in debug mode.  The MSDN states if Build is chosen from the Debug menu a release build will be performed.  It doesn't.  I can also find the Compile Configuration setting on the Compile tab of the Project page, set this to Release then either use the green Run arrow or select Build from the Debug menu yet no release build is performed.  This is evidenced by no new files being generated in the bin/Release directory, which is also the Build output path shown on the Compile tab when Release is the chosen Configuration.

Eric

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:43 PM

Answers

• Go to Tools>Settings>Expert Settings

This gives you more menu items, including the ones you are looking for. They dumbed down the interface a bit.

• Marked as answer by Eric-67220 Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:39 PM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:52 PM

All replies

• Go to Tools>Settings>Expert Settings

This gives you more menu items, including the ones you are looking for. They dumbed down the interface a bit.

• Marked as answer by Eric-67220 Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:39 PM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Thank you very much.
    I was beginning to think I would need to go back to VB 2008.

Once the Expert Settings are enabled, Document Outline view is available in the View>Other Windows list and the Build menu now includes Configuration Manager.  Note, I had to select a Release configuration in Configuration Manager before clicking Build in the Build menu would compile to the bin/Release folder.

Eric

• Proposed as answer by sdmunroe Saturday, June 09, 2012 3:34 AM
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:47 PM