none
WCF Test Client - increasing MaxReceivedMessageSize

Question

• Hi, 

I am using the WCF Test Client that ships with Visual Studio 2010 to test my WCF service.  However, i am getting the error" The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (65536) has been exceeded" after using the WCF Test Client utility to invoke a method on my service.

I know how to configure a service to increase MaxReceivedMessageSize by configuring a binding configuration, but how can i increase the MaxReceivedMessageSize of the WCF Test Client itself that ships with VS2010?

Thanks for any help

Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:12 AM

Answers

• In the wcf test client, after you add the service, you can notice there is a "config file" node at the end of the service tree: right click it and select "edit with SvcConfigEditor". You will get the exact configuration editor for the service side - just go to the binding settings and change the MaxReceivedMessageSize and save the changes.
    Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question. Senior Consultant on WCF, ASP.NET, Siverlight, and Entity Framework. Author of Microsoft's Official WCF 4 Course. Co-author of the Microsoft HPC/Azure burst whitepaper.
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Friday, May 27, 2011 9:20 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 9:02 PM

All replies

• In the wcf test client, after you add the service, you can notice there is a "config file" node at the end of the service tree: right click it and select "edit with SvcConfigEditor". You will get the exact configuration editor for the service side - just go to the binding settings and change the MaxReceivedMessageSize and save the changes.
    Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question. Senior Consultant on WCF, ASP.NET, Siverlight, and Entity Framework. Author of Microsoft's Official WCF 4 Course. Co-author of the Microsoft HPC/Azure burst whitepaper.
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Friday, May 27, 2011 9:20 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Very useful. I had been using fiddler for large soaps but it's so handy to be able to carry on using WCF Tester.

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Very useful.

Thanks very much

Monday, January 13, 2014 8:40 AM