none
RX and Dynamics CRM

Question

• Hello everyone!

Amazing the RX World!

I'm working in a Intranet WebSite which is connected to Dynamics CRM to retrieve some info about the company. At the same time I'm using RX to make reactive some parts of the website.

So the question is: Is possible to Subscribe to Dynamics Entities in order to change the website UI when a field is updated outside the website (Dynamics CRM Online, Outlook add-on for Dynamics...)?

Thanks for your help!!

Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Not tried that yet...

It might possible to push notifications but you might have to consider this, though:

• Notifications must come from the CRM Server side, obviously :) So it leads to plugins or workflows

Dynamics CRM online only support plugins to run in sandbox mode.

When registering an assembly that contains custom workflow activities with Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online, you must register the assembly in the sandbox (partial trust). Support for sandbox execution of custom workflow activities was added in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Update Rollup 12 and Microsoft Dynamics CRM December 2012 Service Update releases.

It will all be executed in sandbox mode

Do also consider some network connectivity limitations in online, because of it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg334752.aspx

Maybe some async PostOpUpdate stage plugin/worflow would do the job, sending to azure service bus tenant in between.

My 2 cents

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Some more thoughts:

There is this basic question of maybe needing an Observable to persist, and can it happen, when it is instantiated inside some CRM plugin.

Also, being able to wrap RX communications between your server and the intranet (through webclient calls, for instance) is a question

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:58 PM
  • Thanks danisis for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm introducing in Dynamics and in RX at the same time, so probably I've got myself in a mess.

What about using SqlDependency?
    I could wait for events, make them Observable and Subscribe as suggested here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14623475/subscribe-to-row-changes-in-a-database-and-push-if-ther-is-any-changes-to-client

Well... Probably the question now should be asked in Dynamics Forum.

Thank you!

Friday, August 30, 2013 9:10 AM
  • you mean, we are in a mess of a currently shaky integration world, even if we keep being enthusiastic about "new" capabilities, like RX :)

Not a hazard Rx is there, but it might be there and accessible with Dynamics CRM 2018 or disappear and being replaced by sthg else, adapted to our integration scenarios AND supported/Spec detailed by experts, inside an SDK.

I don't have any answer about sqldependency too, but personally, I'd look into Azure Service Bus endpoints and bus messaging still.

It can be crazy good as well. Look at the excellent SQL Service Broker bus system, for instance...

SqlDependency core stuff may be based on it, actually :)

Friday, August 30, 2013 11:04 PM
  • oooops... Answer to myself: sqldependency IS based on Service Broker :D

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172133.aspx

Friday, August 30, 2013 11:06 PM
  • Anyway...

If you analyse and detail your production scenario a bit more, you will get some more contributions, I am sure, and possibly answers from the expert guys around.

Best

• Edited by Dan77eu Friday, August 30, 2013 11:14 PM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 11:13 PM