none
SQL cluster 2008 with multiple instances

Question

• Hello,

I am working in LYNC field but it requires SQL knowledge so I need some help regarding the following

if SQL 2008 R2 installed with default instance for SharePoint , and I want to add another instance for LYNC , and clustered is used , then I want to upgrade to SQL 2008 R2 SP1 , will the upgrade be done on the server level or instance level , in another work should I apply the SP1 for both instances ! (I think in server level)

another question if SQL 2008 R2 SP1 already installed and I want to deploy another instance then I will use the installation media which is SQL 2008 R2 , after installing the new instance how will I upgrade it to SP1 ? or it will be installed as SP1 as the server level already SP1 ?

Regards,

Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:43 AM

Answers

• If you have to apply patch/SP to a cluster  see this link applying patch on cluster

If you want to install other instance of SQL server ,you have to install named instance on first node , install Database and other services on node 1 as cluster aware and then add 2nd node to it .Same way as you do for other cluster installation.

another instance then I will use the installation media which is SQL 2008 R2 , after installing the new instance how will I upgrade it to SP1 ? or it will be installed as SP1 as the server level already SP1 

Yes you have to use installation media and after installation is complete apply patch using link i have provided when u install patch select newly installed instance to upgrade it to SP .

PS:Please install SP2 not SP1 as this is latest

Hope its clear

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Marked as answer by ramos s Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:33 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:54 AM