Cannot get past "SharePoint version requirement for PowerPivot for SharePoint failed"

Answers

• Finally tracked down the problem though I'm not quite sure how it came about. 

Although I was using the Enterprise server trial intallation and the key provided on the download site, the registry was showing Sharepoint Foundation as installed.  Initially this was the case but that version was uninstalled before CTP3.  I "corrected" the registry and the Denali install worked OK.  I had to correct again after apply SP1 as the edition in the registry changed back to Foundation.

I suspect that at some point I'm going to have to wipe the server and start afresh

• Marked as answer by Gaskina Sunday, July 17, 2011 5:40 AM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please verify at witch point of Sql Server setup the error shows up. 

The setup support Rules normally should show where the problem is.

Regards,

Steirer

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:46 PM
  • The error appears at the "Installation Rules" step of SQL Server installation, after "Feature Selection" and before "Instance Configuration".  It's the first line of the block below.

SharePoint Enterprise evaluation is installed but doesn't seem to be recognised as such

Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.  I'm obviously missing a step or a configuration but I can't see what it might be

InstallFeatureSpecificRules: SQL Server "Denali" CTP3 Setup configuration checks for rules group 'InstallFeatureSpecificRules'
    ASSPIRequiresO14MossEnterpriseCheck Checks whether SharePoint is the correct version and edition. Failed The version or edition of SharePoint on this computer does not meet the software requirements of PowerPivot for SharePoint.
    ASSPIExistingFarmUnconfiguredWarningCheck Checks whether SharePoint is configured, and if not, recommends adding the Database Engine to the installation. Not applicable This rule does not apply to your system configuration.
    InternetConnectionToNETFX4DownloadSite SQL Server media for Express packages does not include Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 package. If Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 is not already installed on the computer, SQL Server setup for the Express packages requires connection to Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 dowload center to download and install .NET 4.0 Framework through Web setup. Ensure internet connection to Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 download center on this computer. If you do not want to open up the internet connection, as a workaround pre-install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 on this computer before running SQL Server setup. Not applicable This rule does not apply to your system configuration.
    PowerShellCheck Checks whether Windows PowerShell 2.0 is already installed on system. Windows PowerShell is needed by some SQL Server features. Not applicable This rule does not apply to your system configuration.
    ServerCoreBlockUnsupportedFeaturesCheck Checks if all selected features are supported on Windows Server Core. Not applicable This rule does not apply to your system configuration.
    ServerCoreNetFxCheck Checks if The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Server Core is already installed on this computer or is available for installation. Not applicable This rule does not apply to your system configuration.
    SlipstreamMediaInfoCheck Checks whether the language of the original media is the same language as the specified service pack. Not applicable This rule does not apply to your system configuration.
    ASSPIInstanceNameNotInUseCheck Checks for the required instance name. Passed The required instance name is not already used. Setup will install SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint as ‘PowerPivot’.
    ASSPINewFarmConfiguredWarningCheck Checks whether SharePoint is un-configured. If the farm is configured, this rule recommends that you skip the Database Engine installation. Passed SharePoint has not been configured. Configuring SharePoint will require that you have an instance of the Database Engine. Consider going back to the feature selection page to add the Database Engine to this installation. You can use the instance as the farm’s database server.
    ASSPIRequiresCompleteFarmCheck Checks whether SharePoint Server 2010 was installed with the "Farm", "Complete" option. Passed SharePoint Server 2010 is installed with the "Farm", "Complete" option.
    ASSPIRequiresMossBitsCheck Checks whether SharePoint server is installed. Passed SharePoint Server 2010 is installed on this computer.
    ASSPIRequiresO14MossSP1Check SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1) requirement. Passed SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 1 is installed on this server.
    RS_IsDotNet3_5Installed This rule determines if the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is required on the system, based on the features you selected and whether Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is already installed. Passed The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is already installed.
    Sql2005SsmsExpressFacet Checks whether SQL Server 2005 Express Tools are installed. Passed The SQL Server 2005 Express Tools are not installed.
    VSShellInstalledRule Checks for previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Passed Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is not installed or already upgraded to SP1.

This is from the install detail log:

(09) 2011-07-16 12:27:45 Slp: Initializing rule      : SharePoint version requirement for PowerPivot for SharePoint
    (09) 2011-07-16 12:27:45 Slp: Rule is will be executed  : True
    (09) 2011-07-16 12:27:45 Slp: Init rule target object: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.AnalysisServices.ASSPIRequiresO14MossEnterpriseCheck
    (09) 2011-07-16 12:27:45 Slp: Evaluating rule        : ASSPIRequiresO14MossEnterpriseCheck
    (09) 2011-07-16 12:27:45 Slp: Rule running on machine: SQLBETA01
    (09) 2011-07-16 12:27:45 Slp: Rule evaluation done   : Failed
    (09) 2011-07-16 12:27:45 Slp: Rule evaluation message: The version or edition of SharePoint on this computer does not meet the software requirements of PowerPivot for SharePoint.
    (09) 2011-07-16 12:27:45 Slp: Send result to channel : RulesEngineNotificationChannel

Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Finally tracked down the problem though I'm not quite sure how it came about. 

Although I was using the Enterprise server trial intallation and the key provided on the download site, the registry was showing Sharepoint Foundation as installed.  Initially this was the case but that version was uninstalled before CTP3.  I "corrected" the registry and the Denali install worked OK.  I had to correct again after apply SP1 as the edition in the registry changed back to Foundation.

I suspect that at some point I'm going to have to wipe the server and start afresh

• Marked as answer by Gaskina Sunday, July 17, 2011 5:40 AM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Hi Gaskina,

Can you share which keys you have changed in order to pass thru this error. I installed by mistake a standard edition of SP, then uninstalled it and installed a DataFarm version.

Maybe I can go without reinstalling everything again?

Regards

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

I have a similar issue.

First I installed Sharepoint 2010, SP1 and the SQL 2012 RC, followed by powerpivot for Sharepoint. However something didnt go right with my reporting serbvices install, and it wouldnt show up as a farm service in sharepoint. So I uninstalled everything, rebooted.

Then again installed sharepoint 2010, followed by SP1. Now I try to install SQL 2012 RC and its stuck on this check about incorrect sharepoint version.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Darshat Shah

Darshat Shah -Senior Developer, System Center Service Manager Team
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

Even I'm facing the same issue.

Please do let me know what would be the cause.

Thanks,

Santosh

Monday, February 13, 2012 9:16 AM