none
Installing SQL 2012 Developer with Reporting Services the right way

Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm on my way to install SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition.  I will use it along with VS2010 pro to program/build C++/C# applications that btw will also make use of Reporting Services. 

Here is the sequence of install I will follow:

1. Install .NET Framework 4.5
    2. Install SQL Server 2012 Developer + CU1  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2679368/en-us)
    3. Install Visual Studio 2010 + solve the shortcut problem vs start menu  + upgrade to SP1 or earlier

For the SQL Server part now.  In the past I used to program my C++/C# applications with SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition with Advanced Services which I originally installed along with the Reporting Services option checked.

When I recently decided to upgrade to SQL 2012 Developer, I encountered so many problems just trying to either upgrade or uninstall SQL 2008 R2, mainly the Reporting Services part, that it left me with no other choice but to reformat my whole disk and start from scratch.  Which step, after I install SQL 2012, I would like to avoid at all cost whenever I will have to uninstall/upgrade it. 

So what is the proper way to install SQL Server 2012 Developer with the Reporting Services?  Any specific settings I must take care?  Any other software(s),O/S settings I must also take care before/after install?

Thanks in advance,

Stéphane

P.S.

BTW, my actual O/S is VISTA Ultimate Edition SP2 32 bits.  All updates are done.

No other SQL Server or Visual Studio versions are actually installed. 

Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Will it be a native installation or a SharePoint integrated installation? If you will use SharePoint, you need to install it first.

When I configure Reporting Services on my laptop, I always use a Windows account with administrative privileges as service account,

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621 Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stéphane B. _ Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:02 PM
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:57 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding the type of installation, I'm not quite sure if I really understand the difference(s) between the two types described.  But, if it is only a matter of involving Sharepoint or not, I can state at this moment that it will definitely not involve SharePoint.  So it will be a native installation.  Right?

Regarding the account I'm actually using, it is an Admin account.  In fact, I always use to run any setup program under admin privileges.  Any problem if I install SQL Server 2012 under Admin privileges?

Regarding the Reporting Services configuration, can you tell me what you mean by "service account"?  Honestly it was a long time ago since I first configured SQL 2008 R2 Reporting services...  Anything that have changed since?

Regarding the prerequisites, I noticed among others that PowerShell 2.0 was necessary.  I have version 1.0 actually installed.  How can I upgrade to version 2.0?

Finally, is there a step by step install guide that could detail each steps while installing SQL 2012?  This would really help to prepare before proceeding...

Also, I think I read something about the fact that when I launch the SQL Server setup program, it will automatically look on the web for any updated version available.  As you recommended in another thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/17599e44-4f1d-463b-9388-1e938c5863fe/installing-sql-server-2012-developer-with-visual-studio-2010) to keep the RTM version and then install the CU1 update, how will I "tell" the setup program not to look for any updated version on the web but rather stay with the RTM version?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate!

Stéphane

Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:54 PM
  • Hi again,

I kept searching for the version of PowerShell I currently have on my machine.  I specifically put my attention on the updates actually installed on my machine and found the following: "Windows Management Framework Core (KB968930)"  which is finally the PowerShell 2.0.

Also, using "Get-Host | Select-Object Version" command at PowerShell prompt, I got the following result:

Version
    -------

So I can conclude that the version of PowerShell actually installed on my machine is 2.0.

PowerShell 3.0 is also available, but not available for VISTA which is my actual OS.

So I conclude I'm OK with the PowerShell version I have.

Stéphane

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:25 AM
  • Hello,

Please read the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143736(sql.110).aspx

About installing SQL Server 2012, the following article may be useful:

http://www.sqlcoffee.com/SQLServer2012_0007.htm  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

I got a look at the two article references, mainly the last one. 

To be honest, I come from an Express background if I can describe it this way.  I knew that there would be much more settings to take into account when installing a Developer Edition of SQL Server.  If you don't mind I would like your help on which features would suit my needs.  As a recall, I'm using VS2010 and SQL 2012 to build C#/C++ applications.  As the station on which I install SQL 2012 is totally devoted to development, I'm quite sure that a lot of these features might just be useless.  Can you comment which one I've put in red I should select?

• Feature Selection:       
      • Instance Features:
        • Database Engine Services
          • SQL Server Replication
          • Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search
          • Data Quality Services
        • Analysis Services
        • Reporting Services – Native
      • Shared Features :
        • Reporting Services – SharePoint
        • Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint Products
        • Data Quality Client                                                                              ????
        • SQL Server Data Tools
        • Client Tool Connectivity                                                                       ????
        • Integration Services                                                                            ????
        • Client Tools Backwards Compatibility                                                  ????    
        • Client Tools SDK                                                                                ????
        • Documentation Components                                                               ????
        • Management Tools – Basic
          • Management Tools – Complete
        • Distributed Replay Controller                                                               ????
        • Distributed Replay Client                                                                     ????
        • SQL Client Connectivity SDK                                                               ????    
        • Master Data Services                                                                          ????
    Monday, July 29, 2013 4:36 AM
  • Hi again,

I didn't hear from anyone since Monday.  Again, I want to install SQL Server 2012 in order to develop using Visual Studio 2010 applications which will interface with SQL Server for data manipulation (add/update/delete + queries) as well as for report purposes. 

I really need your help about which options I should use among the following "Shared Features".  

• Shared Features :
      • Data Quality Client                                                                              ????
      • SQL Server Data Tools
      • Client Tool Connectivity                                                                       ????
      • Integration Services                                                                            ????
      • Client Tools Backwards Compatibility                                                  ????    
      • Client Tools SDK                                                                                ????
      • Documentation Components                                                               ????
      • Distributed Replay Controller                                                               ????
      • Distributed Replay Client                                                                     ????
      • SQL Client Connectivity SDK                                                               ????    
      • Master Data Services                                                                          ????

You will notice I éliminated the first 2 features related to SharePoint as it won't be installed on my machine.

I will for sure install the SQL Server Data Tools as well as the management tools (in black).  I anyone have any comment about those 2 features please let me know.

I'm finally really not sure about what to choose from the remaining features (in red).  Which ones should be pertinent in my case?

Really hope to hear from someone,

Stéphane

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Hello,

I am sorry I couldn’t notice before about your answer.

Data Quality Services, Master Data Services and Distributed Replay are probably don’t need it. Please read the following article that describes each SQL Server 2012 feature:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144275.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621 Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:16 AM
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 5:54 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

Thanks again for helping.  I appreciate.

I read the article you referenced in your reply. I would like now to revise each item I was not sure of based on what I could read:

• Data Quality Client:

“Mainly used for data cleansing operations”.

Any other uses that I can't actually do using SQL statements?

If not, then I think this item might be useless for what I need.

• Integration Services:

“Set of graphical tools and programmable objects for moving, copying, and transforming data”. 

I think I will keep this item definitely.

• Master Data Services ???:

“Master data management, can be configured to manage any domain (products, customers, accounts) and includes hierarchies, granular security, transactions, data versioning, and business rules.”

Probably a step on top of Management Studio.    Right? 

Can you explain why you would not keep it? 

• Client Tool:

“Client tools include the client connectivity components used by an application connecting to an instance of SQL Server.”

They refer in this part to IIS. 

As I won’t develop any system involving IIS, I presume I won’t need Client Tool.  Right?

• Documentation Components ???:
    • Distributed Replay ???:
    • SQL Client Connectivity SDK ???:

No info on these items.  Can you tell me more?

Thanks again for helping,

Stéphane

Saturday, August 03, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, Data Quality Services and Data Quality Client is for data cleansing only.

Integration Services is always needed by Developers. Creating SSIS packages, importing/exporting data.

Master Data Services allows you validate, manage and synchronize data entities used by multiple systems.

Distributed Replay can be used to replay trace data of many computers on a specific environment, and simulated the workload of the whole environment.

Install Client Tools. The SDK has many resources for developers.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Hi again,

I would like to come back on "Master Data Services", if you don't mind.

In my case, actually in other languages, I develop applications which are completely independant of each other.  I have myself on my development site an exact copy of the entire database of the customer.  On the customer's site, we have a "test" environment and a "production environment" where we also find the same database.  I'm not sure what to understand about what "Master Data Services" can do or not.  But, in case I change database layout, I do not think it might be of any help.  The same way, if I want to "refresh" my own database or the "Test" environment, can this tool be of any help? 

Do you have a good example which would well illustrate what "Master Data Services" can do?

Regarding the "Distributed Replay", maybe the only thing that caught my attention is the ability to "simulate the workload of the whole environment".  Is this kind of task important in a SQL Server environment?  Have you ever needed to do this so far?

Finally, regarding again these components, do you have any idea what they are used for?  As a recall:

• Documentation Components ???:
    • SQL Client Connectivity SDK ???:

Stéphane

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Hello,

Let’s say you have the entity named Branch and it has the branch code, branch name. The data on that entity needs to be consistent over all systems on the enterprise, you cannot afford to have this entity created and maintained on each database on many servers. That’s when you need to use Master Data Services.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

Regarding your example, if I understand well, the Master Data Services will only help me to be sure that among all occurences of a specific table, for example, the content will be the same everywhere.  It only targets the content and has nothing to do with the database or any table layout.  Right? 

So in my case, the only utility I could find would be to synchronise the "test" environment with the "Production" environment in case we have to refresh the data.  Is this a good example?

Stéphane

Saturday, August 03, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Hello,

No. It’s about standardize data, centrally managed, that information about Branches that supposed it is needed by many systems across the enterprise.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, August 03, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Hi again,

If we really talk about centrally managed data exclusively, distributed environement, I finally don't think that this "Master Data Services"  feature would be of any help in my development environment.

Regarding again these components, do you have any idea what they are used for?  As a recall:

• Documentation Components ???
    • SQL Client Connectivity SDK ???

Any use in a development environment?

Stéphane

Saturday, August 03, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Hello,

Documentation Components is SQL Server product documentation. As developer you may need to know the syntax of functions, for example, access some how-to, tutorials, etc.

You may like the following description about SQL Client Connectivity SDK:

“SQL Client Connectivity SDK and Client Tools SDK provided the Wrapper objects for COM components.

Client Tools SDK Provide wrappers classes for DTSRuntime and similar components that you can use to Execute a .dtsx (SSIS) package on demand. Most of the People install Integration Service to perform similar task.

Also SQL Client Connectivity SDK plays a key role in providing Microsoft.SQLServer.Diganostics.STrace library used by Client Tools.

Now, you can use this Wrapper classes to run a SSIS package from within your WCF/WebService/Windows Service or any other .Net App without calling a SQL Agent Job.”
    Source:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/381445/sql-client-connectivity-sdk-and-client-tools-sdk-documentation

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, August 05, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hi again,

Thanks again for helping.

As a "resumé" of all your explanations, I finally get this setup.

• Shared Features :
      • Data Quality Client
      • SQL Server Data Tools
      • Client Tool Connectivity
      • Integration Services
      • Client Tools Backwards Compatibility
      • Client Tools SDK
      • Documentation Components
      • Distributed Replay Controller
      • Distributed Replay Client
      • SQL Client Connectivity SDK
      • Master Data Services

In conclusion, I will only select the items I've put here in green.  Thanks for helping out with this!

One last question if you don't mind.

In another thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/17599e44-4f1d-463b-9388-1e938c5863fe/installing-sql-server-2012-developer-with-visual-studio-2010), you recommended to install SQL Server 2012 Developer RTM and then the Cumulative Update 1. 

My question is very simple.  I could read somewhere that when we launch the SQL Server 2012 Developer setup program, it will automatically look over the NET for any more recent version and install it instead.  If I want to stay with the RTM version as you recommended instead of the SP1 version the setup program will probably look for, how should I run this setup program?  Just install with the Internet cable unplugged?  I prefer to ask as I'm not quite sure, when I run this setup program from my DVD, if it will then need to go on the NET in order to get anything else needed for its install...

Thanks again for helping.  I appreciate.

Stéphane

Monday, August 05, 2013 4:32 AM
  • Hello,

You can disable access to the Internet or you can use a slipstream installation of RTM + CU1 using the following procedure:

http://www.sqlcoffee.com/SQLServer2012_0008.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, August 05, 2013 4:45 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

I got a look at the weblink you provided. Honestly, I'm not sure about what you mean by "slipstream installation".

Now, if I launch the setup program using the following syntax, will it shortcut the search on the web for any updates?

setup.exe /ACTION=Install /UpdateEnabled=False

A second approach.  I download the CU1 update.  I then launch the setup program with the following syntax:

setup.exe /ACTION=Install /UpdateEnabled=True /UpdateSource=C:\Transfert\SQLServer2012-KB2679368-x86.exe

Honestly I'm really not sure about this one.  For me the CU1 seems more like a patch rather than a complete install program.  Your opinion?

If none of these 2 syntaxes are valid, leaving me with no other choice but to run the setup without any switches enabled, whenever the setup program finds what will probably be the SP1 update, will I still have the choice to install it or not?  Maybe like what we see on this "Product updates" page where we can uncheck or not the "Include SQL Server product updates" question?

Stéphane

Monday, August 05, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Hello,

Please run setup with the following command and the apply CU1 manually.

setup.exe /ACTION=Install /UpdateEnabled=False

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, August 05, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Hi again,

Thanks for clarifying which syntax to use.

While installing, do you recommend I keep the Internet connection live or not?  I'm again asking as I'm not sure if the setup program will need to go on the NET to download anything he needs for its install.  Behavior we actually see with so many other setup programs.

One important thing I almost forgot.  It is regarding Reporting Services.

When I first installed SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services, I also add to configure the following things:

- Internet Explorer/Internet Options/Security tab/Intranet Local:
                 - Add the Report Manager URL to the Local Intranet Sites list

- SQL Server Configuration Manager/SQL Server Services node
                  - Select my SQL Server Instance
                  - Click the FILESTREAM tab
                  - Click the "Enable FILESTREAM for Transact-SQL access" and
                              "Enable FILESTREAM for file I/O streaming access" checkboxes to enable FILESTREAM.

- Enter a share name for the files.

Considering that SQL Server 2010 Pro will also be installed along with Reporting Services, will I have to do these same configuration steps? 

Any other important settings I must take care of?

Thanks again for all your help,

Stéphane

Monday, August 05, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Hello,

No need to disable the Internet connection, you only have to apply the /UpdateEnabled=False switch.

I add the Report Manager to the Trusted Sites on Internet Explorer.

The configuration for FileStream seems to me OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, August 05, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

Thank you very much for all your help.  I really think that we have covered everything now.

I will make all my backups tonight and proceed with install of SQL Server 2012 Developer tomorrow.  Do you mind if we keep this thread open until the install is completed and successfull?  I would appreciate.

Stéphane

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Hello,

Please go ahead and install. If I see this thread at the top of the forum it means you posted another question on the thread, and I would try to answer as soon as possible.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:47 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

While reviewing my install plan, I realized that the SQL Server Data Tools was at two places:

• One that I can actually download from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh297027 which offers two distinct install packages depending if you target Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2012.
    • One which can be selected from the Shared Features panel while running the SQL Server 2012 setup program.

Are we talking about the exact same thing?  If not, what are the differences? 

If they are the exact same thing, can I presume that the first one downloaded from the Internet should probably be more up to date than the one provided with SQL Server 2012 setup?

Finally, considering that I will install in sequence SQL Server 2012, then Visual Studio 2012 SP1, should I rather install SSDT only once Visual Studio is installed?  I could read somewhere that it implements something in VS...

Thanks for helping,

Stéphane

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Didn't hear from anyone since Tuesday.  I'm still stuck with this question I would like to solve before installing.

Again, while reviewing my install plan, I realized that the SQL Server Data Tools was at two places:

• One that I can actually download from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh297027 which offers two distinct install packages depending if you target Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2012.
    • One which can be selected from the Shared Features panel while running the SQL Server 2012 setup program.

Are we talking about the exact same thing?  If not, what are the differences?

If they are the exact same thing, can I presume that the first one downloaded from the Internet should probably be more up to date than the one provided with SQL Server 2012 setup?

Finally, considering that I will install in sequence SQL Server 2012, then Visual Studio 2012 SP1, should I rather install SSDT only once Visual Studio is installed?  I could read somewhere that it implements something in VS...

Thanks for helping,

Stéphane

Saturday, August 10, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Hello,

To my knowledge to be able to use SSDT on a VS 2012 Integrated Shell environment, please install SSDT from the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh297027  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

I'm not quite familiar with this new tool.  Do I have to install both of them?

I mean the first one, while running the SQL Server 2012 setup, and then the second one, downloaded from Internet (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh297027) once Visual Studio (2010 in my case) is installed.

I'm asking this question not knowing if maybe the first one is specifically bound to SQL Server, the other one to Visual Studio and both are communicating with each other?  Can you explain?

Stéphane

Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Hello,

The following thread may give you the information you need to decide what to do:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/9e52c797-8b0d-46f8-89cd-151038781f9a/ssdt-sql-server-data-tools-in-visual-studio-2012

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:43 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

Nothing simple... 

On the following thread (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/b542ad55-623c-423f-a77a-4fe1821637a7/ssdt-ssrs-projects-and-sql-server-2012-licensing), I could read the following important note:

"SSRS projects (Report Server Project) are only available via an install of SSDT with an install of SQL Server 2012"

It seems that there is finally a difference if I install SSDT from SS2012 or if I install it from the downloaded package... 

My only issue here, from what I could read, is that Visual Studio 2010 must be at the SP1 level before installing SSDT.  As we already concluded that SQL Server 2012 should be installed before Visual Studio 2010, it gives me no choice but to proceed with this install sequence:

• Install SQL Server 2012 without SSDT
    • Install Visual Studio 2010 Pro and upgrade it to SP1
    • Running the SQL Server 2012 setup program again in order to add the SSDT package.

Really look weird...  Any easier way?

Thanks again for your help,

Stéphane

Monday, August 12, 2013 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

Today I'm preparing to install. I got a look at this article: http://www.sqlcoffee.com/SQLServer2012_0007.htm.

It really gave me a good idea of what to expect while running the setup program but raised at the same time a few technical questions.

• Ensure that "Windows Management Instrumentation" service is running.

What is it's french equivalent name? I couldn’t find anything that “looked” like it...

• Create a specific user and strong password without any administrative privilege for SQL Server.

Can you recall me what they mean by strong password? It think it's just about the way how we set the password, the way we write it. Right?

• Configure Firewall for SQL Server Access (Database Engine/Analysis Services/Report Server/Integration Services).

Windows Firewall is actually deactivated as I'm currently using Kaspersky Internet Security. I honestly do not remember having done such settings in the past while I was installing Express Edition.

Is it particular to the "Developer" edition I'm installing? Is it mandatory or can I skip it?

• Starting the setup program.

I will run the SQL Server setup program using the following syntax:

"setup.exe /ACTION=Install /UpdateEnabled=False".

As my O/S is in French, how can I force SQL Server to install in English?

• Installation rules vs Visual Studio 2010

VS won't be installed yet at the moment I run SQL Server setup. Any impact?

I could understand that the SQL Server 2012 setup program will install somekind of Visual Studio 2010 shell.

Considering that my actual install plan includes the install of Visual Studio 2010 pro once SQL Server is installed, what will be the impact? I would presume that it will just overwrite the VIsual Studio 2010 shell installed with no consequence. Right?

• Server Configuration

It is recommended that I use a different account for each service. What is the impact if I use the same account for all services?

I also want to put the following services startup type to "manual":

SQL Server Database Engine

SQL Server Analysis Services

SQL Server Reporting Services

SQL Server Integration Services 11.0

What are their specific "service names" so I can later start them manually whenever I need to?

• Analysis Services Configuration vs Server Mode

2 choices offered: "Multidimensional and Data Mining mode" or "tabular mode".

Seems that it is recommended to select the "Multidimensional.." mode. What is the real difference?

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Hello,

Windows Management Instrumentation =
    L'Infrastructure de gestion Windows. For more information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/cc736575(v=ws.10).aspx

A strong password may have a combination of lower and upper case letters, numbers and punctuation symbols.

If you are using security software or firewall you have to configure them to allow communication via ports used by SQL Server. For a default instance, we are talking about port 1433. If you will allow other computers on your Home Network or at Work to connect to the SQL Server instance installed on your computer, please configure your security software.

About VS2010, yes go ahead and install SSDT from the SQL Server 2012 media, it will integrate with VS 2010 nicely.

I use the same service account for all SQL Server services for my laptop, since I am not looking to configure a secure instance for me, I instead prefer simplicity.

About tabular vs Multidimensional, please read the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212940.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

Thanks you very much for all your help.

I would like to come back to the following points:

1. Configuring Firewall for access:

BTW, I will use the default instance of SQL Server.  Do I have to configure, using this port 1433 you were mentionning, each of the 4 following accesses: Database Engine/Analysis Services/Report Server/Integration Services?

Any guide or tutorial which might show how to do this easiliy, without making any mistakes?

2. Forcing SQL Server to install in English even if my O/S is in French...

Any idea on how I can do this?

3. Server Configuration

Again can someone give me the name of the following services for which I would like to change the "startup type" to manual:

SQL Server Database Engine

SQL Server Analysis Services

SQL Server Reporting Services

SQL Server Integration Services 11.0

4. Multidimensional vs Tabular

Thanks for the weblink.  I carefully read the article and concluded that the "Tabular mode" better described what I've been doing so far in SQL Server.

"Tabular solutions use relational modeling constructs such as tables and relationships for modeling data, and the xVelocity in-memory analytics engine for storing and calculating data."

I know for sure that I won't touch any of these "Cube and Dimensions" concepts introduced by BI if I remember well. 

Unfortunately, I don't know if these modes are exclusives to each other or not.  If so, I have no choice but to take the "Tabular mode" as I will keep using simple database structures involving tables, relations, indexes.

Is my understanding ok?

I do realize that the configuration of SQL Server Developer is far more technical than what I used to have when installing the Express version.

Stéphane

P.S. Regarding SSDT, I concluded that I finally needed to install the "downloaded package version". 

"If you installed SSDT from the SQL media this would only give you SQL AS/RS/IS projects.  If you installed SSDT online via the link I provided above, you would only get database projects."

You were talking of installing from the SQL Media...

As mentionned, my experience is still limited with Visual Studio.  So far, I've only been developing C#/C++ applications/solutions, which interface with SQL Server for any data manipulations, and I'm actually learning building Reports by the means of SQL Server Reporting Services. 

So, for what I understand of all this, I concluded the I'd better install SSDT from the downloaded package because of the "databases projects". 

Can you confirm my understanding?

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Hello,

1. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175043.aspx

2. You can install SQL Server English on a locale operating system (French). It is fully supported.  If your SQL Server media is in French then the operating system must be French.

3. Database Engine = SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER). SQL Server Analysis Services = SQL Server Analysis Services (MSSQLSERVER). Reporting Services = SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER). SQL Server Integration Services 11.0 = SQL Server Integration Services 11.0.

4. Those modes are exclusive. The traditional way of doing BI is usually is the Multidimensional mode. If you don’t need BI don’t install Analysis Services. You can add it later,

You have more features available when you use Developer, instead of Express.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Hi again,

You recommended to ignore Analysis Services considering that I do not need BI. Thanks for the hint. 

Can you please have a final look at the following list of features selections I should make while installing.  Evidently I would choose everything highlighted here in green.

Is this scenario OK with the kind of SQL Server usage we've been talking so far?  Any other feature(s) I should exclude or other(s) I should rather not?

• Instance Features:  
          • Database Engine Services   
            • SQL Server Replication   
            • Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search   
            • Data Quality Services  
          • Analysis Services      ç Won’t use BI (as you recommended).  
        • Reporting Services - Native
    • Shared Features:
      • Data Quality Client
      • SQL Server Data Tools      ç Will rather install from downloaded package (database projects)
      • Client Tool Connectivity
      • Integration Services
      • Client Tools Backwards Compatibility
      • Client Tools SDK
      • Documentation Components
      • Distributed Replay Controller
      • Distributed Replay Client
      • SQL Client Connectivity SDK
      • Master Data Services
    Friday, August 16, 2013 7:22 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

I would like to come back with the Firewall configuration.

As a recall I will use the default instance while installing SQL Server.

I took a look at the article reference you left in your last reply.  Unless I missed something it really gives me the impression that everything there is only for Windows Firewall.  Every commands, port numbers.  Again, I disabled Windows Firewall because it was conflicting with the Kaspersky Internet Security suite I'm actually using. 

I also took a look of the Firewall settings I could make in Kaspersky.  Couldn't find my way through as, at first sight, it seems completely different.  Any hint?  Any sample of Firewall settings you could leave me as an example to start with? 

Honestly, I don't remember having done any firewall settings while installing Express Edition in the past.  Is is possible it has been configured automatically?

Stéphane

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Hello,

Do not include Data Quality Services and Analysis Services since you don’t need it.

You have to configure Kaspersky to allow SQL Server access then. Open Kaspersky, go to the firewall setting and add SQL Server (.exe) on the trusted group.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Hi again,

I take good note to exclude "Data Quality Services" from my features selection list.  "Analysis Services" was already excluded.  Thanks!

For the Kaspersky Firewall issue.  You recommend I put the SQL Server Program in the trusted group.  I located the place you are talking about. 

Configuration
                     >Paramètres avancés
                           >Menaces et Exclusions
                                     >Configuration(Exclusions)
                                               >Applications de confiance (tab)

Which .exe(s) should I specifically add?

SQLBrowser.exe, SQLSERVR.exe?

Once SQL Server is installed, what kind of test(s) I could make so to make sure that nothing else may be blocking SQL Server?

Stéphane

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:27 PM
  • Hello,

Get connected to the instance using Management Studio, and examine SQL Server error log:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187109.aspx

Test connectivity to the server (telnet computer 1433) and try to get connected from a another computer on your network

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

Just one last thing.

I would like to come back with the Firewall configuration for which I didn't see any answer.

"add SQL Server (.exe) on the trusted group"

Can you confirm what I have to put in the trusted group in Kaspersky.  I thought of "SQLBrowser.exe" and "SQLSERVR.exe".   Considering the configuration we discussed so far, is it ok?  Any other(s) I should also include?

If it is ok, please confirm, then I think we've covered everything. 

I will proceed with the install.  If you don't mind, I would like to keep this thread open until I'm finished with it.  Just in case I'm faced with any error or install problem. 

In the meantime, thank you very much for everything!

Stéphane

Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Hello,

You really don’t need to include SQLBrowser, since this is a default instance, but leave it as is.

Go ahead and install.

Thank you for visiting MSDN forums!

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:22 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in my final report but I had to help a friend, which kind of postponed my SQL 2012 install.

The installation succeeded.  No error reported!  I could even test a few things without any problem.

I would need your help on a few setup things.

1. SQL Server 2008 items installed...

When looking at my startup menu, I surprisingly noticed the presence of a "Microsoft SQL Server 2008" menu item structured the following way:

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008
        • Configuration Tools
        • SQL Server Installation Center

Looking at the “configuration panel” under “installed programs”, I also found the following items:

• Microsoft SQL  Server 2008 R2 Management Objects
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files

What is the use of SQL Server 2008?  Can I get rid of those two installed items?

2. When at the “Server Configuration” step,  regarding the account name we had to provide for each service, I just kept the ones provided by default:

• SQL Server Browser:                                                  NT AUTHORITY\LOCALSERVICE
    • SQL Server Integration Services 11.0:                         NT UTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE
    • SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)                                       NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE
    • SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER)                              NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE
    • SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher (MSSQLSERVER) NT AUTHORITY\LOCALSERVICE
    • SQL Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER)                     NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE

As it was recommended to use local user account with administrator permissions, might this kind of configuration cause me any issue?

3. As I want to keep all my resources as low as possible, using the SQL Server 2012 Configuration Manager, I also changed the start mode of the following services to “manual”

• SQL Server Integration Services 11.0
    • SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)
    • SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER)

I also noticed that the service “SQL Server VSS Writer” was also set to “automatic” and already started. 

Can I also put this service start mode to “manual” without any impact? 

As mentioned, I will rather use a batch file (.bat) to start these services whenever I need to use SQL Server 2012.

4. Still in SQL Server Configuration Manager, regarding the Protocols, it was recommended to enable all three protocols listed:

• Shared Memory           (actually enabled by default)
    • Named Pipes               (actually disabled)
    • TCP/IP                        (actually disabled)

Would this practice be recommended in my case?

5. It is also recommended to add the “Report Manager” to the “Trusted Sites” on Internet Explorer.   

Is this step recommended in my case?  If so, what should I use as the “Report Manager URL”?

6. Microsoft Update

Finally, among the list I got, I disabled the "SQL Server 2012 SP1" update as we already discussed but also noticed the presence of the following update:

"Mìse à jour de sécurité pour SQL Server 2012 RTM (KB2716442)"

"SQL Server 2012 CU1" is schedulled to be installed next.  Should this security update be installed before or after installing “SQL Server 2012 CU1”?

That's all!

Hope to hear back soon and close the loop!

Stéphane

Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:38 PM