Include GAC assemblies in helpfile

Question

• Hello

I'm creating a help file for a component which uses the MailItem and CalendarItem classes from the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook namespace.

These Microsoft Office assemblies are stored in the GAC.

Is there a way to include them in my Sandcastle help project so that information about the MailItem and CalendarItem class will be generated ?

At this moment I am using the SandCastle Help File Builder to generate the files.

Thanks

Stefan
    Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:00 PM

All replies

• In Sandcastle Help File Builder it is very simple thing to do, but I will encourage you to post

this SHFB specific question on the SHFB forum.

Best regards,

Paul.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Add them to the Dependencies property as GAC references.  You can find answers to this and other common questions in the FAQ in the help file builder's help file.

Eric

Friday, January 04, 2008 2:52 AM
  • I have added the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook assembly from the GAC to the Dependencies but it doesn't make a difference. None of the Outlook classes is being documentated.

e.g. One of the properties of my component is a collection of AppointmentItems :

public IEnumerable<AppointmentItem> CalendarItems { get; }

SandCastle has generated a link for the IEnumerable interface to the corresponding MSDN web page, but there is no link for the AppointmentItem class.

Am I missing some configuration in SHFB or SandCastle ? Or is there a problem with this specific Outlook assembly ?

Friday, January 04, 2008 8:13 PM
  • You'll only get links to online MSDN content if an entry is added to the ResolveReferenceLinks2 component in the configuration file.  For that to happen, you'd have to run MRefBuilder and a couple of the doc model transforms on the Office Interop assemblies.  There's also the question of whether the MSDN web service knows about stuff in the interop assemblies and can produce links to them.  That's a question better answered by Anand.  So, for now, you can produce a help file that will list the inherited members of the class, but there won't be links to online help for the interop stuff.

Eric

Saturday, January 05, 2008 2:45 AM