Who invented Visual basic ?

Question

• Regarding the History of Visual Basic , Who invented the first built or release in visual basic and what year was that ?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Thanx Guys regarding this website

It says

1964 – A pair of instructors at Dartmouth College decide they have a group of students too lazy to learn FORTRAN. They produce a new language with only 26 variable names, so that even a lazy programmer can keep track of them.

So now who is the inventor alan cooper or the instructors ?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:52 PM
  •  

1.) Not everyone here is a guy.

2.) Dartmouth Basic was character cell based. It was not visual. The core of visual basic is it's GUI (Graphic user Interface).

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Thanx when you say character cell based what do you mean ? may you clarify? Thanx
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:04 PM
  • 'character cell based' means that the screen only displayed more or less

a fixed font text. There was nothing graphical about it, no icons or buttons to click.

All input was done from the keyboard.

Basic started out that way. Visual Basic only came into existance when Windows

(a Graphical User Interface (GUI)) was well established.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:47 PM
  •  

I agree with what you said tall dude. I am confused by "buttons to click"?

But the reason I am posting is that i think everything you said is accurate, There is a side brach that you omitted which is QBasic.

It was in that strange "DOS mode" nexus in which QuikBasic which came with DOS, Win95, NT and Win2k. It was a complete IDE and structured language and even had a good help facility. It was MS's replacement for GW Basic. So there is your bridge between GW Basic and VB.

Friday, April 25, 2008 12:47 AM