How To make setup Compatible to all O.S. and processor (x86,x64 bit) type

Question

• Hi

I have developed the windows application using .Net 2005 now i have created the setup of my project but it is not working on different processor types. 

I have used sql server 2005 express edition for my database.

So how to create the only one setup that will run onto all machines and O.S. 

Thanks & regards 

Pankaj
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Pankaj,

I'm not sure about your question.

If you wanna your project to be able to run in any kind of processor or machines which are runing windows operating system, then when you build your project in your platform, just choose the type of building to "Any CPU", then you can steup your project in all Windows operating system. It wil not matter with x86 or x64.

However, if you want your application to be able to run in Linux or Unix or some other operating system that may not support .net, based on my experience, it hardly works.

Hope this helpful to you! If you have any further quetions, please feel free to let me know.
    Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Bset Regards,
    Tracy
    • Proposed as answer by Ter-ray-cy Thursday, April 22, 2010 2:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:51 AM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:26 AM
  • Hi Pankaj mohite,

I checked this issue again, it hardly make it compatible for all OS. Since when you build the project with "Any CPU" condition, it means your managed code will be not relevant to the machine or Microsoft's OS. However, it doesn't make sence that other parts of your project can run in any other kind of machine or Microsoft's OS.

Hope this helpful to you! If you have any further quetions, please feel free to let me know.
    Bset Regards,
    Tracy
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Pankaj,

I'm not sure about your question.

If you wanna your project to be able to run in any kind of processor or machines which are runing windows operating system, then when you build your project in your platform, just choose the type of building to "Any CPU", then you can steup your project in all Windows operating system. It wil not matter with x86 or x64.

However, if you want your application to be able to run in Linux or Unix or some other operating system that may not support .net, based on my experience, it hardly works.

Bset Regards,
    Tracy
    • Proposed as answer by Ter-ray-cy Thursday, April 22, 2010 2:56 AM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:26 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your Answer.

But my problem is when i try to install setup onto 64 bit machine it will not accept SQL Express edition. So how should i make it compatible for all OS?

Thanks & Regards

PANKAJ

• Marked as answer by eryang Friday, April 23, 2010 5:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by eryang Friday, April 23, 2010 5:07 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:29 AM
  • Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your post!

I'm not sure what your problem exactly is. If it's possible, could you please show me some more details, like error thrown, some crash files or some exception? That would help on this issue.

And have a nice day!

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com .
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:10 AM
  • Hi Pankaj mohite,

I checked this issue again, it hardly make it compatible for all OS. Since when you build the project with "Any CPU" condition, it means your managed code will be not relevant to the machine or Microsoft's OS. However, it doesn't make sence that other parts of your project can run in any other kind of machine or Microsoft's OS.

Bset Regards,
    Tracy
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Hi Pankaj mohite,

It seems that you got a right answer from Tracy. So I marked it.

If you have any further questions, you are surely welcome to unmark it and we will discuss this issue again.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:52 AM
  • If you want one setup that will work on most systems in 32-bit mode then make your code x86 build and build a x86 setup. This will install on x64 and x86 systems.

I'm assuming that you don't need to run native x64 code.

Phil Wilson
    Monday, May 03, 2010 6:46 PM
  • If you want one setup that will work on most systems in 32-bit mode then make your code x86 build and build a x86 setup. This will install on x64 and x86 systems.

I'm assuming that you don't need to run native x64 code.

Phil Wilson
    You guys pretend not to understand. How about this obvious question....Is developing apps for windows using .net products worthy? Since one application behaves weird from windows 95 to windows 7, one can wonders if its worth the try. I am thinking of abandoning windows for Good and go with what is popular today such as Mac, Iphone, Ipad and Android at least those OS guarantees that your application will run. Frank
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:50 AM

• It’s been some time since I’ve been a regular visitor here and there is so much that I’ve learnt from here and  the information that I’ve gained from here that I’ve passed n to my friends!!

call center

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 5:42 AM
  • This is exactly what I was looking for. It will really help me with my 64-bit app .
    Monday, February 07, 2011 7:41 AM