File History Feature Problem

Question

• I created a new volume (drive E) on my laptop & setup File History to backup a few test text files to it from the C: drive - worked great.  Later on, I encrypted the new volume (drive E) with bitlocker, ran a few tests and then unencrypted it (turned off bitlocker).  Now I'm unable to backup to that volume any more.  When I try to add it as a backup location, I receive "Could not add network location; The network name cannot be found".  Did bitlocker mess something up?  Any ideas??

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:53 PM

Answers

• David W. Robbins,

Have you tried refreshing your machine since all of this happened?

I think that our next step should be to refresh the machine and then to try the test again.

To do a refresh of your machine then please do the following:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.

4. Click the Next button at the “Refresh your PC” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

Here’s what will happen:

· Your files and personalization settings won’t change.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

5. Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Insert your Windows installation or recovery media

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Refresh button at the “Ready to refresh your PC” step.

Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and the user will be left at the Lock Screen where they can log back in with their existing user account.

“When you reset your PC your personal files and apps will be removed and your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.”

Please post back with the results

Thanks,

Chris
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:40 PM

All replies

• David W. Robbins,

How are you trying to add the backup location?

Are you clicking ‘browse’ and navigating to the E:?  If so the try accessing it by typing \\computername\filelocation

Let me know the results.

Thanks,

Chris
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:48 PM
  • In the "Change your File History Drive" window, I click "Add network location".  Then I browse out to the E: drive (worked great the first time).  Now I get the above error.  I tried typing \\computername\filelocation in the "Folder" window when selecting the location, like you suggested.  No luck - it says "The network path could not be found". 
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:20 PM
  • David W. Robbins,

Did you create E: as a partition of the same physical drive that Windows Developer Preview is installed on?

Thanks,

Chris
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Yes - same physical drive.  (I understand this is not recommended for real use, but just testing the feature for now.)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:55 PM
  • David W. Robbins,

It is not that it is not recommended, the issue is that it should not have worked the first time you did it.  File History is designed to work on a Network Share or an External Drive not the same physical drive

For testing purposes you can get around this by creating a shared folder on the E: and then mapping the location via the UNC path of the folder in the “Change Drive” option when in the File History Control Panel.

I hope that helps and makes sense.

Thanks,

Chris
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:47 PM
  • I shared the E: drive folder & it semi-worked.  It allowed me to add it, but then after I click "ok", an error displays "Your current File History drive is disconnected.  Reconnect the drive and try again."  I give up on the E: drive (same physical disk, separate volume).

I broke down & connected an external drive (F) and tried that.  Again - no luck.  I got error "Failed to complete migration to F:\ (error 800040306)"

:-(

Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:43 PM
  • David W. Robbins,

Have you tried refreshing your machine since all of this happened?

I think that our next step should be to refresh the machine and then to try the test again.

To do a refresh of your machine then please do the following:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.

4. Click the Next button at the “Refresh your PC” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

Here’s what will happen:

· Your files and personalization settings won’t change.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

5. Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

Insert your Windows installation or recovery media

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Refresh button at the “Ready to refresh your PC” step.

Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and the user will be left at the Lock Screen where they can log back in with their existing user account.

“When you reset your PC your personal files and apps will be removed and your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.”

Please post back with the results

Thanks,

Chris
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:40 PM