locked
Remote name could not be resolved

    Question

  • I am trying to use performance session but I keep getting a "Remote name could not be resolved: 'tfsservername'.  The network where our tfs server is down right now.  I guess this is another "oversight" to not allow performance analysis if the tfs server can't be found?
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:08 AM

Answers

  • Thanks for the repro steps, but I wasn't able to reproduce the error that you were seeing here. Since you're not blocked on this error I'll chalk it up to some strange alignment that was going on here.

    We'll keep our eyes open over here to see if we run into any errors like this, but also if you run into this again let us know so that we can attempt to trace down what is going on.

     

    Thanks,

    Tim

     

    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:00 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Dan,

    The profiler doesn't use a TFS server for any of its work so I'm curious as to why this is happening and would like to investigate it further. Could you provide some more details about your profiling scenario and what you're doing when you get this error, and of course any other info you think might be helpful for us to understand what is going on.

     

    Thanks,

    Tim

     

    Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:26 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Tim,

    There is not much to tell you, but i will tell you what I can.

    1. the tfs server is behind a vpn, so when our network is down i can't connect via vpn (cisco), so the remote name cannot be resolved at all.
    2. i want to profile a wpf app.  there are 16 projects in our solutions, the one wpf app, a setup program, 1 c++ DLL and the rest c# DLLs.
    3.I click Analyze menu and choose Launch Performance Wizard.  i go through the steps and select the defaults, and click finish.
    4. nothing happens after this, performance explorer does not  open up, when I open it up manually there are no items in there. 


    anyway, the next day our vpn was back up and it seems to work, I tried to recreate the error by disconnecting from our vpn but the performance wizard finishes successfully... must have been a weird bug.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Thanks for the repro steps, but I wasn't able to reproduce the error that you were seeing here. Since you're not blocked on this error I'll chalk it up to some strange alignment that was going on here.

    We'll keep our eyes open over here to see if we run into any errors like this, but also if you run into this again let us know so that we can attempt to trace down what is going on.

     

    Thanks,

    Tim

     

    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:00 PM
    Moderator