none
Foxpro 2.6 and Windows 7?

Question

• I just recently updated my Windows XP to Windows 7 and now when I attempt to run Foxpro 2.6 I get an error message that says it is not compatible with this version of Windows. It says I may need a 64 bit version of the program. Am I totally screwed or is there some type of patch that will allow me to use Foxpro 2.6? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:09 PM

Answers

• Under any 64 bits OS, support has been dropped for 16 bits programs like Fox 2.6, and there is no way to run it natively.

Given it's a DOS program, the easiest way I know is to install DosBox on Windows 7 and run the program there. It's a DOS emulator which works quite well with most older programs under newer operating systems. And while it has been designed to run games mainly, it works out well on more serious programs too. You can get it at: http://www.dosbox.com/

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Yes, FoxPro 2.6 is a 16 bit program and it cannot run under 64 bit OS. Install Virtual PC under W7 and execute FoxPro 2.6 under some 32 bit OS installed on the Virtual PC.

BTW, why do you need the almost newest OS and the almost oldest available FoxPro running together?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:40 PM

All replies

• Yes, FoxPro 2.6 is a 16 bit program and it cannot run under 64 bit OS. Install Virtual PC under W7 and execute FoxPro 2.6 under some 32 bit OS installed on the Virtual PC.

BTW, why do you need the almost newest OS and the almost oldest available FoxPro running together?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Under any 64 bits OS, support has been dropped for 16 bits programs like Fox 2.6, and there is no way to run it natively.

Given it's a DOS program, the easiest way I know is to install DosBox on Windows 7 and run the program there. It's a DOS emulator which works quite well with most older programs under newer operating systems. And while it has been designed to run games mainly, it works out well on more serious programs too. You can get it at: http://www.dosbox.com/

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:53 AM