Problems installing the CTP

Question

• Hi,

I am having some problems installing the CTP. The setup completes successfully but nothing seems to be installed at all. I am unable to use the new constructs in C# projects and there's no program folder created under "Documents", where it should be I think. I am using VS 2010 Professional on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!

Friday, October 29, 2010 1:52 PM

Answers

• The Async CTP only installs on ENU ("english-US") versions of VS, I'm afraid. I wonder if this is what you're running into?
    • Marked as answer by Chrysler Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:40 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Chrysler,

Just to clarify... It sounds like the CTP actually installed successfully on your machine and you're able to use the features.

However, the problem is that you don't see the following directory on disk?

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Microsoft Visual Studio Async CTP

Thanks!

Lisa

Friday, October 29, 2010 5:51 PM
  • When the installation finishes a new Windows Explorer window is opened that shows the content of my Documents folder, but the Async CTP directory isn't in there. And in Visual Studio, when I create a new Console app project and type some async code, it doesn't recognize the new keywords.

Friday, October 29, 2010 6:42 PM
  • The Async CTP only installs on ENU ("english-US") versions of VS, I'm afraid. I wonder if this is what you're running into?
    • Marked as answer by Chrysler Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:40 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Another reason for this behavior can be that you already installed updates for Visual Studio 2010. The Async CTP is not compatible with updates to Visual Studio that modified the VB or C# language services. Can you go to “View Installed Updates” and see if you have any of the following updates installed for Visual Studio? 1) KB983571 2) KB2266012 3) KB2123002
    Friday, October 29, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Oh, thanks for letting me know! I should have mentioned that I am running the German version of VS, so this is probably the cause.

Again, thanks for the quick answers here.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:40 AM
  • I saw a similar problem when installing on a machine that only have VS 2010 Express edition installed. I can use the compiler on the command line but no examples are installed.

To be fair the MSDN download page doesn't like the Express edition as a supported version.

Monday, November 01, 2010 10:54 AM
  • Express versions are not supported. You can get the trial version of Visual Studio from here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/download

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Hello Lucian Wischik,

is there any explaination why the Async CTP works only with the US-version of VisualStudio 2010?  The installation dialog of Async CTP appears in German.

Is the German version of VisualStudio 2010 mutilate in some hidden way?

Is there any intention to release the Aync CTP language-free next time?

Best Regards, Roy

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:15 AM
  • Hello,

I m using VVS 2010 ENU and i can compile async code but Visual can't resolve symbol async or await.

And i don't have those KB's installed

Edit : I have resharper and if i suspend it no more problem. Someone know how to fix it?

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I am using Visual Studio 2010 Professional, English US, SP1, and I did not have any of the updates installed, but after installing twice I still do not see a folder under My Documents, I am also using Windows 7.

Any suggestions?

Corby
    Monday, October 03, 2011 10:23 PM