none
Auto-formatting in VS 2013

Question

• I'm loving VS 2013 so far. However, I'm not happy with the way it auto-formats C++.  Is there a place where I can either configure auto-formatting to suit my style?  If not, can I disable it all together?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You can custom auto formatting for C++ in Tools->Options->Text Editor->C/C++->Formatting.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can custom auto formatting for C++ in Tools->Options->Text Editor->C/C++->Formatting.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:04 AM
  • Stephen,

You can try clang-format to automatically format C++ code, available in VS 2013 with the ClangFormat extension. See Format C++ code intelligently in Visual Studio with clang-format.

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Visual Studio add-ins, extensions and tools

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:01 AM
  • It would be nice for MS employees or contractors to provide feedback, since that is all we do all day is develop. The idea of not being able to turn off auto-formatting, and not providing any feedback why seems to be missing an opportunity.

One auto-format OFF check box would be very helpful. Having it put braces where I don't want them is very irritating. Having multiple case statements where you cannot have them lined up to simply see the differences is a standard I have been using for over 30 years. All of these little issues physically add up over time and mentally create their own issues. :) Please allow formatting to be stopped in VS 2013,

Thank you

Richard Loba

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:02 PM