Is one Build server for one project collection in TFS 2010

Question

• Hi,

I need a confirmation on my understanding on setting up build server for TFS 2010.

Is Build server setting up for one project collection alone?
    If we have 20 project collections and need to automate build in all the project collection, do we need to set up 20 build servers?

Thanks, Lovely

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:03 AM

Answers

• Hello Lovely Rose,

Although we are able to install more than one build controllers on one machine, we do not recommend you to do so because that may put your TFS in the risk.

And you mentioned that actually you have 20+ team project collections on your TFS server, do you use these collections at the same time? If not, you can consider configuring build controller for the team project collection that you are using. For example, if your Collection1 is in using, you configure the build service for the Collection1. If Collection2 is in using, you configure the build service for the Collection2. If you would like to use many controllers at the same time, I think you'd better setup more than one build controllers.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Each project collection needs a seperate build controller. And you can configure many build controllers on one build server. You can check out this blog:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jimlamb/archive/2010/04/13/configuring-multiple-tfs-build-services-on-one-machine.aspx

Windy Liu
    Dynamsoft: Team Foundation Hosting | Version Control Software

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the response.

The above link says it (more than one build controller in one build server ) is not a supported configuration. Also I am talking about production scenario. so in that case can I go ahead with understanding that one build server is for one project collection alone.

Thanks, Lovely

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Hello Lovely Rose,

Although we are able to install more than one build controllers on one machine, we do not recommend you to do so because that may put your TFS in the risk.

And you mentioned that actually you have 20+ team project collections on your TFS server, do you use these collections at the same time? If not, you can consider configuring build controller for the team project collection that you are using. For example, if your Collection1 is in using, you configure the build service for the Collection1. If Collection2 is in using, you configure the build service for the Collection2. If you would like to use many controllers at the same time, I think you'd better setup more than one build controllers.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:07 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the confirmation and suggestion.

Thanks, Lovely

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Have you considered virtualizing the Build Server Instances?

Enrique Lima | Principal Consultant/Owner ThinkALM | http://geekswithblogs.com/enriquelima

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:20 AM