Compiler Fails to Substitute SelectMany for Select on Translation of Query Expression in Orcas June 2007 CTP

Question

• This might be cockpit error on my part, but I'm encountering errors when running C# or VB query expressions that I understand the language compiler should translate to the SelectMany standard query operator. In the following code examples, the CustomerList source collection contains an Orders field of a List(Of Order) type (per the customers collection of the "Standard Query Operators" white paper (June 2006), and txtResult is a multi-line text box.

[Minor edit and removal of incorrect error message 7/24/2007 0630 PDT]

The commented query expression of the following C# snippet won't compile with conflicting query above commented. The error occurs in the iterator (can't find the property values):

Code Snippet

var query6 = CustomerList.Where(c => c.Country == "USA")

.SelectMany(c => c.Orders);

/* The following won't compile

var query6 = from c in CustomerList

where c.Country == "USA"

select c.Orders;

foreach (var o in query6)

txtResult.Text += String.Format("CustomerID = {0}, CompanyName = {1}, OrderID = {2}\r\n",

o.CustomerID, o.Customer.CompanyName, o.OrderID);

The commented query expression of the following VB snippet won't compile for the same reason:

Code Snippet

Dim Query6 = CustomerList.Where(Function(ByVal c) c.Country = "USA") _

.SelectMany(Function(ByVal c) c.Orders)

' The following won't compile

' Dim Query6 = From c In CustomerList _

' Where c.Country = "USA" _

' Select c.Orders

For Each o In Query6

txtResult.Text &= String.Format("CustomerID = {0}, CompanyName = {1}, OrderID = {2}" + vbCrLf, _

o.CustomerID, o.Customer.CompanyName, o.OrderID)

Next

In both cases, IntelliSense includes Orders as a valid property of o or c. However, the two query expressions return List<Order> and List(Of Order) rather than the expected IEnumerable<Order>/IEnumerable(Of Order) expected from a transalation of the Select to SelectMany operator.

Both method call syntax queries behave as expected and return identical results.

If this is a known problem with Orcas June 2007 CTP, will it be fixed in Beta 2? If it's my cockpit error, I'd appreciate learning what's wrong with the code.

Thanks in advance,

--rj

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:34 AM

Answers

• Using 'select' does not translate to SelectMany being called. A nested 'from' is translated to SelectMany.

from c in CustomerList

where c.Country == "USA"

from o in c.Orders

select o

If you select a collection (c.Orders), you will be producing a sequence of collections, making your foreach variable 'o' List<Order>.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 4:11 PM

All replies

• Using 'select' does not translate to SelectMany being called. A nested 'from' is translated to SelectMany.

from c in CustomerList

where c.Country == "USA"

from o in c.Orders

select o

If you select a collection (c.Orders), you will be producing a sequence of collections, making your foreach variable 'o' List<Order>.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 4:11 PM
  • Matt,

Thanks for clearing that up.

On the other hand, IntelliSense might need a fixup if practical.

--rj

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:22 PM