20 errors Missing file ms???80.dll where ??? is several possible letters

Question

• After installing Visual Studio 2005 Express and running a System Check with Norton WinDoctor, twenty (20) Program Missing File errors were found.

1:Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\ARPWrapper.exe" cannot access a necessary file - msvcr80.dll

The rest of the errors are very similar.  Which library am I missing? or is it inherent to the Express version of VS?

Friday, December 09, 2005 4:34 AM

Answers

• This appears to be a false positive with Norton WinDoctor.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:20 AM

All replies

• We've had a lot of these posts regarding Norton WinDoctor.

Are you actually have trouble running any applications (SQL Server/Visual Studio)?

I actually suspect that these are false positives.
    Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:01 AM
  • This appears to be a false positive with Norton WinDoctor.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:20 AM
  • I have had the same error messages in Norton WinDoctor. What I've noticed is that after this appeared (probably in the December 2005 time frame) access to MSN became difficult. Prior to, access to MSN was pretty fast and seamless. But now MSN program becomes non-responsive and requires several attempts to gain entry to my homepage. Once there it is a similar process getting to my email. The program again will be come non-responsive and not display emails in the inbox nor can I open individual emails without ending the program via Windows Task Manager. In fact the whole system 'hangs'.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled MSN but this doesn't seem to have improved the situation.  I'm pretty certain the .net framework was downloaded as part of some Windows update. And when I searched for mscvr80.dll, it wasn't found on my HD. So the WinDoctor error message doesn't seem to be inaccuate?

Thursday, April 20, 2006 6:35 PM