DVD write problems(DVD burner) .

General discussion

•  My Desktop PC has a unique problem. It fails when doing windows file backup to DVD R with an I/O, error and takes for-ever to burn the DVD; the DVD drive sound is constantly changing pitch from a very high speed to quite low during the writing process.

It actually writes about 1/4 of what it should and takes about 3 hours to do it(maybe 0.5 GB). It looks like a classic bad blank disk problem. But I have tried several brands with mixed results.

I had planned to just pick the best brand of blank disks and live with it.  However I came up with this question when I tried to copy one of the DVD R with the "Roxio" DVD creator program. The Roxio wizzed thru the 1.7 GB burn in about 3 minutes !!

My question is how can the Roxio software/Driver seem to work so well using my worst blank disk and the same DVD drive ?

I have run the sfc checker, and checked for the latest drivers, but have come up without an answer. The drive motor seems to run much faster, louder using the Vista B/U program-driver than the Roxio, but yet the Roxio shows the write speed & it does adjust aparently to compensate for marginal media(is goes as high as 12X and as low as 8X). These new blank disks are rated as high as 16X.    Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Saturday, November 30, 2013 11:25 PM

All replies

• might be time for a new optical drive

I found when I have media problems, new drives are usually widely available to cure it

how are you writing to the media? Do you have a large enough buffer?

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 12V1 70A
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 x64 Professional
    LG WH14NS40 14X Blu-Ray Writer BDXL 128GB
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Sunday, December 01, 2013 1:49 AM
  • The drive motor seems to run much faster, louder using the Vista B/U program-driver than the Roxio

So you're stuck with Vista? This might be the problem... Here is the forum for you.

-- pa

Sunday, December 01, 2013 8:03 AM
  • I am using the "Backup & Restore" feature on Vista.  Normally it does a automated backup(set schedule) 1 time per month to the "D" partition of my "C" hard drive. However, occationally that partition fills up & get message to do a full backup(maybe 1 per 6 months or 1 year). At that point I would delete the incremental backups on D, and follow the prompts to do a full backup of selected "C" files and select the "E" DVD to do the archive of my current files.

I don't know how to check the buffer size(that might be fixed by vista)?  My guess is that Vista is trying to burn at full 16X speed and the combination of the media and drive can't handle it.

My ideal hope would be to find a way to lower(set) the burn speed to maybe 4X so I could get the highest quality burn. That might require an updated driver from Microsoft?

Sunday, December 01, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Can you get another hard disk, and then archive the backups more

DVD is not very reliable

BD is somewhat better but it still has problems

Corsair TX850V2 12V1 70A
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Sunday, December 01, 2013 2:19 PM
  • I do have Vista. But, what I am trying to figure out is whether it is the entire operating system that is the problem,

or whether it is just one module, like the current driver, that inhibits me from lowering the burn speed to match the real time condition between the drive and the media. When I look at the driver detail, I notice that there is a "Microsoft"  driver and there is also a "Roxio" driver there. It is beyond my knowledge to understand what each of these drivers does and when each might be in control.

Sunday, December 01, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Its possible Vista is mangled, which has some issue with the drive

I own a lot of optical drives I use them all a lot

As for variable burn speed, that is due to media imperfections and it should not have any effect on the final disk.

Corsair TX850V2 12V1 70A
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Sunday, December 01, 2013 2:32 PM
  • I do have other options.  But I would like to understand this DVD problem better. Other people might have this type of problem with burning DVD's.
    Sunday, December 01, 2013 2:34 PM
  • https://www.google.com/#q=DVD%20backup%20problems%20on%20Vista

Note the second link down has to do with issues with HP and Compaq PCs that have Vista installed.

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Sunday, December 01, 2013 2:40 PM
  • This is not a driver development question. The experts on the Answers forum may help you much better.

-- pa

Sunday, December 01, 2013 4:25 PM