How to disable Metro while keeping Win8 improvements?

General discussion

• Thread title says all.

There is a registry tweak that disables Metro but seems to kill some of Win8 improvements.

I use KB+M in Windows, Metro UI is totally inadequate. Might be a wonderful UI for tablets and smartphones but for general desktop use it is a very clumsy way to operate a OS. It doesnt even allow for mouse scrolling.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:09 AM

All replies

• Thread title says all.

There is a registry tweak that disables Metro but seems to kill some of Win8 improvements.

I use KB+M in Windows, Metro UI is totally inadequate. Might be a wonderful UI for tablets and smartphones but for general desktop use it is a very clumsy way to operate a OS. It doesnt even allow for mouse scrolling.

I agree with you
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Fully agree, a switch to dissable Metro without the loss of the improvements in the classic Shell, would be good

R.F.B (Bytestar)
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:08 AM
  •  

If you do the registry tweak, (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RPEnabled to 0), kill and restart explorer.exe, and then put it back to 1, you get to keep all the improvements except the metro start scren (who come back the next time you either log off/ restart or kill explorer).

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:34 AM
  • But you will never seen the improved Taskmanager (TaskUI.exe) will not be start, after this reg key.
    R.F.B (Bytestar)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:02 PM
  • I agree with the feedback on this. It is high priority for me to be to disable Metro/Start screen altogether and keep all the rest of improvements in Windows 8. Of course I would be using the Start screen with my tablet devices, just not with my laptop and desktop and it is imperative that Microsoft enables this choice for us. Thank you. There should be Group Policy support to control this and all new Windows 8 features like Explorer Ribbon, new task manager etc.

I know there's the RPEnabled reg key but there needs to be a GUI. Better still, give us a way to access both without disabling other with the input device of our choice. That is, if we click the mouse on Start or use Winkey, open Start menu. If I use a touch device to tap Start, open the Start screen.
    • Edited by xpclient Monday, September 19, 2011 6:59 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:31 PM
  • That Microsoft did not provide an above-board way to do this in the preview, even though it's clearly possible, says to me that they're not planning to provide one in the release.  They're calling this "bold" and "reimagined".

THAT's the scary part.

-Noel

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Well i am hoping that seeing as this is a Developer Preview Microsoft have taken the decision to give us a look at what the metro interface wil be like and let us have  a play and work with it but i agree if it is going to be the default interface without a way of turning it of in favour of the interface we are all used to and comfortable with while still keep the improvements in Windows 8 then i am afraid that will be a big mistake. But it is still early in the run up to the finale release so we will have to wait and see what the future brings us.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Monday, September 19, 2011 4:34 PM
  • ...do the registry tweak, (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RPEnabled to 0)...

Assuming "RPEnabled" stands for "Red Pill Enabled", besides being a bit funny, it's also telling, in that in the film The Matrix taking the Red Pill was a one way trip.

I have a corollary question: If I were to make this change, is there a way to jump over to the Metro side on demand?

-Noel

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Yes, very easily, i mostly stay in metro mode, but whenever i want to open really many  things at once, i use this to go back to classic start menu.

I created 2 reg file that enable/disable this key. 

Use the disable reg file>> open task manager (the "old" one will open), kill and restart explorer.exe (you'll get classic start menu there), and use the enable key.

Everything new is back except metro UI.

To get metro fully back, just go back into task manager (new one this time) and kill explorer one more time, everything is back as normal. (or you could log off/restart, works as well).

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:26 PM
  • I did the above tweak and it works great. Almost like I'm back with Win 7. Question - what is that weird Microsoft Confidentiality message I'm getting on my desktop now? Any way to get rid of it along with the Preview information below it?
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:54 PM
  • I earlier added a question, under a new topic,  related to this question.  I am repeating it here. Now that the flag has been exposed, why can't the shutdown action record whether the user shuts down in Metro or Classic view and then when rebooting, the system automatically reboots to the that state/view. This would seem to me to be the best of both worlds. That is, if one works mostly in the Classic view than that is where they will be on re-booting, but they will still have access to the metro apps and vice versa. 

Also, in the classic view there should be a different permanent button to return back to the Metro view (Metro View should have its own icon) and the Window button should display the menu items that are currently being displayed in Win 7.

I am curious, would this solve some of the issues with Metro vs. Classic?

Personally, I see many advantages of the new Metro View, but legacy apps will be around for a long time and there are good advantages to the classic view as well. So I see a mixed mode operation for quite a while.

• Edited by PeteJS Monday, September 19, 2011 6:25 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:24 PM
  • MS doesn't want us using the registry hack, there is a warning wartermark that pops up on the desktop view once the hack has been performed.

So, since this isn't a sanctioned activity (in fact, apparently heavily frowned upon and even coded to detect) I don't think we are going to be seeing any easy way to switch back and forth until such a time as MS deems its time.

I understand it, they have risked their OS business by attempting to wage a "seats war" with Apple.  And in so doing, they have a vested interest in keeping Metro right up front and in your face so developers take the hint and start spinning apps.

The trouble as I see it is not many traditional developers thing inside the small box provided.  They are used to using long established APIs to create actual working tools that move data, manipulate data streams, encode, recode, clip, parse and interact with databases, now suddenly they are being encouraged to write single-focus eye-candy "applications" to woo the smartphone and tablet crowd.

My hope is they don't lose sight of the fact that they have hundreds of millions of seats RIGHT NOW, and that could change virtually overnight if they fail to recognize the world isn't as ready to be unproductive as the I-Pad sales figures seem to imply.

Tablets and smatrphones are nifty.  But I don't want or need either one of them.  Apparently that delegates me to dinosaur class.  So be it.

DAS

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:39 PM
  • rename the file C:\Windows\System32\shsxs.dll to C:\Windows\System32\shsxs.dll.bak and reboot. Now you have the improvements (copy dialog, ribbons) but the old Windows 7 Startmenu back.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Question - what is that weird Microsoft Confidentiality message I'm getting on my desktop now?

Heh, it seems to me that the Microsoft employees actually developing Windows 8 are of course expected to turn off Metro themselves, so as to get real work done, and this message is there to help keep them reminded to not leave a DVD with all the Windows source code on it laying around in a bar...

-Noel

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:47 PM
  • I'm not sure why you would want to disable the Metro interface if you want to be able to jump to it on demand.  It seems to me that this is the way it works by default.  In the developer preview, there's a tile to go to the desktop.  So what if it starts up with metro.  The desktop is one click away and you can stay there as long as you like.  When you want to get to the Metro interface, you just press the Windows button.

I can understand disabling it if you never want to use it - perhaps for dedicated machines etc.  But if you do want to switch back and forth, why disable it at all?

JohnnyG
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Johnny:

What happens when you click on the desktop start button like you normally would to launch an app?

Yes.  Thats why people are disabling Metro.

But, like a good little previewer, I undid the hack, and even did a system refresh.  Now I'll try and plod through this thing with a mouse and keyboard because I do not want a smartphone OR tablet, and, believe this or not, I don't want my desktop acting like one of those devices either.  But this is what MS wants to preview, so I'll play along as best I can.

And if you were used to getting actual work done with a machine, you'd know I've signed up for a much more difficult than it needs to be task.

DAS

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:10 PM
  • When you want to get to the Metro interface, you just press the Windows button.

Two things:

1.  I don't have a Windows key on my keyboard.  OK, you might say it's my fault for not having a special keyboard, but I happen to like (and am very productive with) this old keyboard, which I prefer over all others.

2.  I sometimes DO use the Start button, and I keep my Start Menu very well organized hierarchially.  To jump to the Metro desktop and hunt around for colored tiles just blitzes the mind.

-Noel

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Found a tool that supposedly disables Metro and offers some other tweaks.

Havent tried it yet.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/metro-ui-tweaker-windows-8-released?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=metro-ui-tweaker-windows-8-released

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Here's a tool that will easily disable Metro without having to mess with the registry manually:

http://win8review.com/2011/11/disable-metro-ui-start-menu-in-windows-8/

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:38 PM