none
2012 SSDT Reporting Services project - How do I import the rsds file from SharePoint 2013 into my Solution?

Question

• I am migrating reports from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013. The reports are not in a solution so I created a blank solution and I am adding a new Project for each folder the reports belong to. This is the only way it seem to be able to use the deploy function without send reports to the wrong location. But I am having trouble getting the RSDS file into the DataSource folder of the project. It doesn't like the SharePoint version of the file.

Thanks,

Phil

Friday, February 28, 2014 7:56 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the explanation, now i have a clear picture of what your issue is.

do you still keep the old VS project when you deployed to SPS 2007? 

1. There is no tool or steps to tell how to convert a RSDS file back to a RDS file to be used in the visual studio because this path is not a common scenario. Most users are just using VS to develop reports and make them deployed to the target in one direction.

2. Is it possible to use more shared data sources to decrease the management effort to take care of the separated data sources?

3. I haven't tried this. that is you can open the RSDS and RDS files in the notepad. then compare the content. If the difference is very slight or even no difference, you just need to change the extension to RDS.

In short, there is no convenient way to achieve this target. 

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Alisa Tang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 5:03 AM
  • Hi, Phil

So my understanding is that you want to move the reports from SPS2007 to SPS2013, and you wanted to deploy them to the SPS2013 using BIDS, is that right?

What do you mean by adding a new Project for each folder the reports belong to? These reports were once in different library in SPS2007 and you wanted to preserve the same folder hierarchy in SPS2013?

and you can't deploy the RSDS files to the folder in SPS2013? what's the error message?

I can post you this article for how to publish reports to SharePoint just for your quick reference.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb283155(v=SQL.90).aspx 

Friday, March 14, 2014 5:59 AM
  • The problem is I can't import an.RSDS file from the SP 2007 site into the new 2013 project to associate it with the reports. I have to look at the 07 datasource.RSDS file and create a new Visual Studio type data source .RDS in the 2013 solution based off of it. Then VS does the magic of converting the RDS to a RSDS file.

Friday, March 14, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Hi, 

have you check the RSDS file from SPS2007, and the one generated by SPS2013 by opening it in the It needs more investigation. Any difference? one possible root cause is the unsupported version.

I don't have a SPS2007 at hand, i may need you to send me an RSDS file from SPS2007 to do the test. However, this can't be done in this forum. You have to submit a ticket with us.

Visit this link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:35 AM
  • I don't think you are understanding my question. Leave Versions out of the question. 

Lets say you walk into a new contract job and all they give you is visual studio and a link to the report library in SharePoint (any version). You create an empty solution and add a blank report project. How do you pull the .RSDS datasource files from SharePoint into your project since Visual Studio uses RDS files, not .RSDS. For one data source I'd probably just recreate it by hand since I'd have to chase down the password for service account, but for a library full of them I'd like to pull them in so I have the connection strings at least.

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:43 PM
  • Thanks for the explanation, now i have a clear picture of what your issue is.

do you still keep the old VS project when you deployed to SPS 2007? 

1. There is no tool or steps to tell how to convert a RSDS file back to a RDS file to be used in the visual studio because this path is not a common scenario. Most users are just using VS to develop reports and make them deployed to the target in one direction.

2. Is it possible to use more shared data sources to decrease the management effort to take care of the separated data sources?

3. I haven't tried this. that is you can open the RSDS and RDS files in the notepad. then compare the content. If the difference is very slight or even no difference, you just need to change the extension to RDS.

In short, there is no convenient way to achieve this target. 

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:47 AM
  • That is a good idea about comparing the content and see what the differences are. I would think a connection string would not require much formatting around it.

I assume when you created a report with the online reporting tool that it creates a rsds file. And if at a later time you decided to pull the reports down in VS and store in Source control that you could pull down the RSDS files also.

Thanks for the info.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:23 PM
  • Hi

The perfect situation is the format and file extension for the data source file can be identical so you can use it seamlessly in the SharePoint or VS. but this doesn't happen now. If your scenario becomes more popular in the future  I am sure it will change.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Another option you could explore is to script the migration of content from one reporting environment to another and skip SSDT/VS.

The following content was recently published with sample rs.exe script.

Sample Reporting Services rs.exe Script to Migrate Content between Report Servers

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531017.aspx

-Craig (SQL Server User Education Team) // This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:08 PM