none
Visual FOXPRO ODBC Drivers for windows Vista

Question

• Hi.

Does any one knows where i can get the Visual FoxPro ODBC Drivers for Windows Vista?

Thanks. Helder Santos

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:41 PM

Answers

• ODBC Drivers are not Operating System specific, they are product specific. The last version of the VFP ODBC Driver was for Version 6.0 and you can get that from this location:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/updates/odbc/default.aspx

(look for the "Download VFPODBC.MSM" link). This will work with later versions of Visual FoxPro providing that the tables do not use features introduced AFTER Version 6.0 (e.g. Auto-incrementing Integers, VarChar fields etc).

The alternative is to use the VFP OLEDB Provider which is also downloadable - from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E1A87D8F-2D58-491F-A0FA-95A3289C5FD4&displaylang=en

Monday, June 12, 2006 5:03 PM
  • I bit the bullet and added support in my app for VFPOLEDB... gave up trying to find an easy, reliable way to install VFPODBC on Vista. The good news was that I found Version 9 of VFPOLEDB to be very compatible with VFPODBC... I don't think I had to change anything in my code other than the connect string. When I had tested this a few years ago, I had issues with some queries (an inner join as I recall) that just wouldn't work right with VFPOLEDB. That seems to be fixed in Verison 9.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:04 AM

All replies

• ODBC Drivers are not Operating System specific, they are product specific. The last version of the VFP ODBC Driver was for Version 6.0 and you can get that from this location:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/updates/odbc/default.aspx

(look for the "Download VFPODBC.MSM" link). This will work with later versions of Visual FoxPro providing that the tables do not use features introduced AFTER Version 6.0 (e.g. Auto-incrementing Integers, VarChar fields etc).

The alternative is to use the VFP OLEDB Provider which is also downloadable - from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E1A87D8F-2D58-491F-A0FA-95A3289C5FD4&displaylang=en

Monday, June 12, 2006 5:03 PM
  • I ran into the same problem and figured out a workaround.  I tried to install the current 6.0 version of the VFPODBC DLL, and the MSI package ran.  However, when I checked the drivers in the ODBC in the Admin Tools, it was still at version 1.0

I then went into the command line, unregistered vfpodbc.dll from c:\windows\system32, and then copied the verision 6.0 vfpodbc.dll (from another machine) into the c:\windows\system32 directory and registered it with regsvr32.

Works fine, and give me a chance to relax.  Our applications rely on the ODBC connection, and was starting to swet after not getting to work.

Hope that helps

MD

Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:07 PM
  • Just don't let any of your users run a 64-bit version of either WindowsXP or Vista. 32-bit ODBC and OLEDB drivers are not visible or usable by 64-bit applications.
    Friday, July 14, 2006 4:47 PM
  • Thanks for the head's up!
    MD

Friday, July 14, 2006 4:54 PM
  • Is there any reason to choose ODBC over OLEDB  or vice versa?  App is in VB.Net and uses both MDB and DBF.

Friday, August 11, 2006 12:50 PM
  • Prefer VFPOLEDB. VFP ODBC driver doesn't have all the capabilities of OLEDB driver.
    Friday, August 11, 2006 5:03 PM
  • Dan,

Are you sure of this?

64bits OS and/or Apps?

Friday, August 11, 2006 5:04 PM
  • The requirements are very simple so capabilities are not the issue, but rather things like stability, performance, ease of implementing for programmer, ease of installation, etc.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 12:02 AM
  • Similar situation! But I couldn't unregister the DLL.

I deleted and re-copied the correct version in. ODBC System Administrator was correct the next time I started.

Thanks

Kerry.............

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:56 AM
  • I don't think that the current download/install of VFPODBC (VFPODBC.MSI) hasn't ever worked on Vista, and I notice it's still broke in RC2. Is VFPODBC going to be supported in Vista?

Sunday, October 08, 2006 6:28 AM
  • Still broke? It was working and still working under RC2. However I suggest VFPOLEDB instead.
    Sunday, October 08, 2006 12:02 PM
  • We have a bunch of code that doesn't work under VFPOLEDB, but works just fine under VFPODBC  so we can't just switch... plus it's a deployed application, so in order to change code we'd have to put a bunch of remote customers through an app upgrade.

When I say it still isn't working, I mean the install process is broke ( the VFPODBC.MSI that works with XP doesn't work on Vista )... so there's no way to reasonably instruct an end customer on how to download and install VFPODBC.

Yes, I believe you can manually move and register the DLL yourself...
    Monday, October 09, 2006 11:56 PM
  • We are in same situation...I'm trying to view inside VFPODBC.MSI with ORCA to learn how can i install it "manually" but is hard for me !

Can anyone help us ?

Friday, October 20, 2006 3:47 PM
  • You probably won't get a lot of help for installing on an unreleased operating system, but I'm not surprised there are problems. Installing software is one  of the things Vista tightens down considerably.

In the name of security, they're (rightly) making it difficult to actually use a computer. I fear they've gone too far, but it isn't released yet so who knows where it will land.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 6:57 AM
  • Not exactly true.  I had this problem with a C# app I wrote, doing a force compile to x86 everything seems to be working fine under Vista x64.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 2:32 PM
  • I bit the bullet and added support in my app for VFPOLEDB... gave up trying to find an easy, reliable way to install VFPODBC on Vista. The good news was that I found Version 9 of VFPOLEDB to be very compatible with VFPODBC... I don't think I had to change anything in my code other than the connect string. When I had tested this a few years ago, I had issues with some queries (an inner join as I recall) that just wouldn't work right with VFPOLEDB. That seems to be fixed in Verison 9.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:04 AM
  • 07-15-08  Vista is here, I use both the 32 and 64 bit versions. No ODBC drivers for Visual FoxPro as yet for the 64 bit version of Vista. Perhaps the solution resides in a new release of Visual FoxPro 64 bit Version.

Whay is it taking so long for these guys to wake up to the needs of their costomers?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Microsoft has discontinued production of new version of VFP as you know. There will not be a VFP ODBC driver (another deprecated technology). VFP ODBC driver is stuck at v6.0 and I'm afraid it will stay that way. VFPOLEDB is up to date with version 9 but I don't expect anything to be done in the future for 64-bit (not that it needs it).
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:16 PM
  • Ah.... my little disciples :) VFPOLEDB.1 DOES work in vista, and windows 7 both x32 and x64. 

BUT if you are writing a .NET applicaiton.... you HAVE TO go under advanced compile options and choose the TARGET CPU = x86.

If you don't do this, it will be a 64 bit application trying to use a 32bit dll. At least that's my best guess.

All i know is that this is the only way to make it work properly. Otherwise your application dynamically becomes 32bit or 64bit when you run it based on the workstation's OS, in wich 32bit machines work perfect and x64 ones don't. This is why I force it to 32Bit.

Actually whenver something in 64bit os won't work I always try this and it always works.
    • Proposed as answer by Kanaida Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:48 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Since support has been discontinued by MS, it would be nice if they would open source that code base so enhancements (such as x64 compatibility) could be still be made. 
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:18 PM
  • 
    Hi Chris,

take a look at the ADS ("Advantage Database Server") from Sybase. That ADS is basically a SQL-Server running optionally on VFP-DBC and DBFs (which is way cool and a great way to move from local data to ClientServer without too much conversion pain).

In that system they also built an VFP-ODBC-driver, which can work even with VFP9 databases etc. The ODBC driver (in their slang it's called "Local Engine") is free. Only drawback: it can't trigger any StoredProcedures inside the VFP-DBC, but the data-access including all new fieldtypes is working 100%.

Thus don't wait for MS, just use the existing technologies!

Read more about it here:

wOOdy
    Microsoft Visual FoxPro Technology Advisor
    Microsoft "Most Valuable Professional" from 1996 to 2009
    Visit my XING profile!Don't know what XING is?

*´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´. (¸.·` *
    .·`.Visual FoxPro: It's magic !
    (¸.·``··*

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:27 AM